Frozen Hearts

Fifteen - Lynx

I enter my little brother’s hospital room to see my father standing by his bed. Gabriel had withdrawn to the corner of the room and the atmosphere was tense. My father rarely left the home base, so I was confused to see him holding Lucas’s hand. He looks up when he comes into the room and gently lays Lucas’s hand back on the bed. He approaches me and looks down at me as I stand up straight.

“Did you know Lucas was seeing Gabriel behind my back?” He asks coldly.

I don’t back down and nod, “yes, I’ve known since we were still young. Lucas loves Gabriel and has for a long time, but you never let him be himself,” I said coldly back.

He looks at Gabriel then at Lucas with a disapproving look then his face softens. It caught me off guard to see the same man we haven’t seen since we were all younger. He sighs and motions for Gabriel to walk over, he does cautiously as my father looks at him. He puts Lucas’s hand in his and wraps Gabriel’s hand around it.

He straightens up before he speaks again, “I will sit down with Gabriel’s father, the Spider’s maybe stronger now, but even they can’t deny that the Yakuza are stronger. We may be able to work out a deal,” He said as he walks out without another word.

I look at Gabriel somewhat confused as to what had just happened. He straightens up once he was sure my father was gone and looks at me.

“I was napping with my head on the bed when he walked in. I was expecting him to kill me on the spot, but he let me talk to him without having to fear him. I didn’t expect him to be as receptive to our plan as he was, I think something else is going on,” Gabriel said as he looks at me.

I nod in agreement, “my father would never agree to something like that, especially with none of his council with him. I have a feeling that Drake knew something that not even I know and they’re afraid of the gang’s integrity now that they know it,” I say as I sit beside Lucas.

Gabriel nods and we both go into our own heads to think it over. I knew Lucas would accept the idea immediately, he’s stupidly loyal to the gang. Even when his own loyalty nearly causes his death, he would still stick it out until the end. Sometimes I want to grab my brother and sneak him away from this life. I look up when Salvador walks into the room and waves at us gently. He wasn’t surprised to see Gabriel sitting beside Lucas. We’ve known since we were kids that Gabriel and Lucas were in love; even when they didn’t even know what love was.

Salvador sits on the foot of the bed and looks at Lucas’s comatose body. He’s been asleep for four days already, the doctor’s said that he should’ve already woke up. His body has stabilized, and it was safe for him to wake up, but he wasn’t. We hoped he would wake up on schedule but of course, we had been warned upon arrival that he may never wake up. It was starting to seem like that would be the outcome of this.

“Hey, don’t give up yet, he may still wake up,” Salvador said as he messed with both my hair and Gabriel’s. He smiles, but it doesn’t reach his eyes and you could tell that even he was concerned. It’s possible Lucas will never wake up.