Frozen Hearts

Eighteen - Gabriel

The kiss makes my head spin, but the knowledge that Lucas wants to marry me and was also thinking about it was mind-blowing to me. I watch as he snaps his fingers and can’t help the worried frown, when he requests transport.

Lynx's expression tells me that he too is concerned, but neither of us wants to argue with him and simply let him do what he needs to do. I don’t know what he’s planning on doing, but I do know that it has something to do with his dad and the meeting with my father.

“Are you sure about this, Luke?” I ask as we wait for his request for transportation to be fulfilled, “Your dad agreed with the plan, but...”

“But?” Lucas prompted.

“I don’t think he’s as on board as he says he is,” I admit, running a hand over my face and sighing, “There’s something else going on.”

“Then we’ll find out what that something is.”

I understand why Lucas wants to go, but the move is dangerous and I don’t want to see anyone get hurt. There’s something that I haven’t told him... that I haven’t told anyone, the truth is that I didn’t come back because of some mission and I had no intention of killing him.

My dad thought that our gang would rise to some sort of power with Lucas out of the way, but that’s not how power works and I told him just that. The problem is that he’s never listened, he’s the head of the Spiders and that makes his word law.

I only agreed to do what he wanted, so that I could protect Lucas and I dread to think what he’ll do if he finds out. Telling Lucas will only add more stress to an already stressful situation and I don’t think he truly knew what my mission had been, not entirely.

The thought makes my chest tighten and a lump forms in my throat, but I fight to not let it show. I’d had nightmares in the months leading up to my return, nightmares that started off happy and always ended with Lucas’ blood on my hands.

I love him, God, I love him so much, but part of me is still afraid to let him in and I think that’s because I’m scared of my nightmares coming true. My chaotic train of thought is derailed as the nurse returns, informing us that the arrangements have been made and that she’d let us know as soon as our vehicle arrives.

“Confronting dad probably isn’t the smartest idea, but you know that I’ll stand with you against him and his council,” Lynx commented, “My loyalty is to you and Gabriel.”

“When have I ever dealt with anything the smart way,” Lucas replied with a smirk that quickly morphed into a grin, “It’s going to be fine, I promise.”

It’s been a while since I’ve seen that grin on Lucas’ face and it makes a warmth spread throughout my chest, but in his eyes, I can see that he’s worried. Our dads can be ruthless and it didn’t matter that we share their blood, if they don’t like what we have to say... well, there’s no telling what they’ll do.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy ♥