Frozen Hearts

Twenty One - Lucas

With my father now bound in ropes at my feet, I turn to watch the showdown between Gabriel and his father. I was aware that Gabriel did it so he could prove that he was capable of being next to me, but he never had to worry about that. I knew Gabriel wasn’t as capable of being a killer as I was, I was also aware that he didn’t like violence but understood shit happens in this life. I didn’t expect him to reach my level of animosity quickly or at all. I love Gabriel for who he is, and I never expect him to change his ways to be with me.

Salvador walks up beside me and removes the katana from his back. He hands it to me without a word as we watch the fight, I kept the sword partially unsheathed in case I must jump into the fight. Gabriel’s father always plays dirty in a fight, it’s never a question of if but when with him. With Gabriel having denounced everything that their gang once stood for he had nothing to lose in this fight and would kill Gabriel if he needed to. That had to be the worst part of growing up in this atmosphere. I was lucky to have my two brothers who agreed in my views and would never betray me, but Gabriel didn’t have that. I have an army behind me that I’ve been gathering since I decided to go against my father’s way, but my soon-to-be husband had none.

I await the opportunity to jump in and soon I see it: the glint of metal in his father’s sleeve. This fight is supposed to be without weapons, but I doubted his father would fight without a weapon, especially knowing that I was standing to the sidelines. My brain ran through the different scenarios before I finally decided that I had to jump in. In a fluid motion, I unsheathe the sword and bring it down on the middle of his father’s bicep. I severed the arm as a gun fell out onto the ground in front of everyone. I didn’t have to do anything else as the gang erupted in anger. Policies both of our respective groups have are challenges that have to be played fairly. By bringing a weapon into the fight he has disgraced himself.

I walk over to Gabriel’s side as I slide the sword back into the sheathe and look down at his father, “did you forget our battle a year ago? When you attempted to overthrow my sector and tried to shoot me during the fight? No one was around to witness you disgrace yourself that time and I’ve been nice enough to not release the recording. However, this time your whole gang saw what you just tried,” I say as I stand next to Gabriel.

I don’t say anything else as I take Gabriel and leave the meeting. The gangs could decide what they wanted to do from here and we would return in a week. As soon as we were in the car, I could let the weakness overtake me. I grabbed a vomit bag the hospital gave me and started dry heaving into it. My body was too weak to have been outside the hospital, but this had to be done and now that it was, I can rest easier in my hospital bed. I feel a sharp pain coming from my side and look down at my hip, a bright red stain was covering the hospital scrubs I had on.

Fucking silencers.