Frozen Hearts

Twenty-Two - Gabriel

I didn’t say a word as we arrive back at the hospital and watch as Lucas is taken through a set of double doors, walking in the opposite direction. A lot had happened at that meeting and despite being on the same page as my fiance, I need time to process everything.

Sat on the railing of the bridge that overlooked the river, I took a swig from the vodka bottle in my hand and ran a hand over my face. I have no doubt that my dad is either dead or close to it, but there’s not one part of me that cares... I can’t care.

He tried to kill Lucas and pulled me away in order to take his shot, he lied. It isn’t just about that, my dad always preached to me that honesty within the family was the most important rule and then he betrayed me.

“Are you okay?” came a voice from behind me, causing me to tense and look back over my shoulder, “That’s not really a safe place to be sitting...”

“I’m fine... look pa no hands,” I joke with a chuckle, putting my hands in the air and watching as the dirty blonde-haired guy stepped forward, “I said I’m fine.”

“Easy buddy, I’m just concerned that’s all.”

Not wanting to draw attention, I climb back to the right side and stumble slightly. His hands come up to steady me and I react, slamming my fist into his nose. Anger rushes through me and I hit him again, laying into him as he hits the ground. His pleas for me to stop only spur me on and I only stop when I hear the distant sound of sirens, gradually getting closer.

They can’t be coming for me, nobody comes near this part of the bridge and if they do it’s for less than innocent reasons. I step back away from the bloody heap on the ground and take a shaky deep breath, before sinking back into the shadows. My phone begins to ring and I pull it out, swallowing past the lump that’s formed in my throat when I see my mom’s name flashing across the screen.

“Hey mom,” I say as I answer, making my way back towards the hospital and shoving my free hand in the pocket of my jeans, “Is everything okay?”

‘Gabe...’ she replied, her voice shaky and thick with emotion.

“What’s wrong?”

‘I just heard from Emmanuel, it’s your dad... he’s in the hospital.’

“What happened?”

‘I’m not sure, but he’s at the King Royal hospital...’

The King Royal I repeat in my head, but that was where Lucas was and I felt the anger stir in my chest once again. I quickly finish the conversation with my mom, promising to look in on my dad and return to the hospital.

Anger... paranoia, these aren’t things that I’ve ever felt before and yet, now it was all I ever seemed to feel. I can’t tell Lucas, not about what I did back at the bridge or the pure rage I feel towards my dad. A nurse left Lucas’ room as I approach the door, sending me a smile in greeting and I walk in to find Lucas sat up in bed.

“My dad’s here...” I mumble as I take a seat, looking down at my bloody hands and pulling at my hair in frustration, “I don’t know any details, but my mom had already been informed by one of dad’s right-hand men and I could tell by her voice that it’s bad.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy ♥