Frozen Hearts

Twenty Eight - Gabriel

Now that I finally know the truth, the stress I felt isn’t as bad and I feel as though I can breathe again. Stood with my hand in Lucas’, I nod as I come to a decision and bite my lip as I look at him.

“We go ahead with the wedding,” I say without hesitation, “I love you, Lucas and I want to marry you. We’re stronger together, or I know for sure that I am stronger with you by my side and we need to show them that this union will only mean bigger things for our gang.”

“What about the Triad?” Salvador added.

“We’ll observe their movements as best we can,” Lucas told him, squeezing my hand and entwining our fingers, “There’s not much that we can do without the knowledge of their plan, but there are other things that we need to be focusing on and the wedding is one of them.”

Sat in the study later that night, I browsed through the array of wedding magazines spread out in front of me and bookmarked a few pages that interested me. The idea of someone targeting our wedding puts me on edge, but I trust Lucas and his brothers enough to know that they’d take all the precautions that they could.

Death doesn’t scare me, there was a time not long ago that I would have happily welcomed it and yet, the thought of losing Lucas terrifies me. It’s called thanatophobia, the fear of losing someone that you love and I guess that’s one fear that everyone shares. It’s an intriguing fact that the human body’s response to both love and fear are the same, which makes sense to me... they are in essence the same thing.

Pulled from my thoughts as the study door opens, I look up and smile when I see Lynx emerge.

“Lucas asked me to come check on you,” he explains, scanning the magazines and absent-mindedly flicking through the pages as he continues, “How’re the wedding plans going?”

“Who knew that there were so many decisions to make for a piece of paper.”

“I definitely don’t envy you.”

“Hey Lynx,” I say, a clear note of contemplation in my voice, “Why do you think the Triad are targeting us?”

“Honestly, I don’t know,” he replies, perching on the edge of the desk, “If I had to guess, I’d say that two young guys merging gangs has them a little nervous and they can’t afford to look stupid. Of course, Drakes' involvement with them may have something to do with it... it’s hard to tell, it doesn’t take much to warrant murder in this world.”

“I guess.”

I didn’t know if Lynx was lying, I couldn’t read him as well as Lucas and that frustrated me. Heading to the kitchen an hour later, I look through the cupboards and decide to make a curry. Of course, we have someone that cooks for us and I’m not a professional chef, but I can throw together a decent curry for my fiancé.

Next week, I will officially be Lucas’ husband and that thought alone caused a soft warmth in my chest. I don’t really care what food we serve, or who is there to witness it... what flowers decorate the tables, the only thing I care about is hearing those two words come from the mouth of the man I love. ‘I do’.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy ♥