Frozen Hearts

Four - Gabriel

I followed Lucas through the school, unsure of where we were headed and frowned as he led me out to the football field. The smirk that accompanied the words coming from his mouth looked out of place for a second, until I remembered who he was and the person he had become.

There had been stories told about Lucas over the years, stories of his thirst for blood and it had been hard to believe them. Violence wasn’t something that I enjoyed, but there was a lot to prove and he had obviously planned it all out in his head.

“If that’s what needs to happen,” I tell him, dropping my bag to the floor and removing my jacket, “Let’s do this.”

Lucas had always been the better fighter and I had no doubt that I was about to receive a beating, but there was no turning back now... I had to fight. We circled each other like two lions preparing to battle for dominance and I knew that he was waiting for me to make the first move, but that wasn’t going to happen.

This was his show and so, he could set the tone. Rule number one of any fight was to take time to read your opponent, observe his movements and try to find where his weakness laid. The first swing came out of nowhere, but I managed to block it and retaliated with my own shot.

Evenly matched to begin with, I allowed my guard to fall momentarily as I got lost in thoughts of the past and grunted as Lucas’ fist connected solidly with my jaw. It wasn’t long before I was bloody and fresh bruises were waiting to blossom all over my body, but I refused to back down. Still on my feet, I was given little time to recover and soon found myself flying through the air as Lucas body tackled me to the ground.

The landing pushed all the air from my lungs and I struggled under his weight, unable to get him off in order to breathe. He reared up, fist balled as he brought his arm back to strike and I took advantage.

One sharp jab to the ribs was enough to get him off and I shakily got to my knees, doubling over as I tried to regulate my breathing. It was a few minutes before I realized that there had been no returning blow and I chanced a look over, guilt swelling in my chest as I spotted Lucas still on the ground.

Lynx quickly helped him off the field without a word and I collected my stuff, stumbling slightly as I headed to the bathroom. It took me a while to clean up, but, finally, the blood was cleared away and I felt as though I could show my face in class.

One look at Lucas as I spotted him at lunch told me that he hadn’t dealt with his injury properly and guilt, once again, spiked in my chest. The school day soon came to end and I made my way towards the exit, pausing when I saw Lucas with his head resting against his locker door. With a deep breath, I cautiously approached and placed my hand gently on his shoulder.

“You should let me look at your ribs,” I stated, my voice filled with concern and that’s the moment I knew that I would always hold a flame for him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy ♥