Frozen Hearts

Eight - Gabriel

I know that I should have stopped him and it took everything in me not to, but he was right... there would be hell to pay. With a sigh, I cleared away the first aid supplies and went to make myself some food. When I was younger it had been my dream to join the military, but I learned quickly that it was just that... a dream and I’d never be able to chase it.

Laid on the grass with my hands behind my head, I stared up at the clouds and glanced over at Lucas as he spoke.

“Are you really planning on joining the military?”

“As soon as I’m of age to do it,” I confirm, watching as a mixture of emotion flashed in his eyes and continuing, “I want to do something with my life that has a purpose... I don’t want to get stuck here.”

“So your solution is to go and get yourself shot?” Lucas inquired with a frown.

“Are you worried about me?” Gabriel added, earning a punch in the arm and chuckling, “You’ll always be my best friend, dude, you are my favorite person...”

“Shut up,” Lucas status, although the smile on his face said something completely different, “Let’s go play some Call of Duty.”


That was the first time I admitted how much Lucas means to me and I still feel that way, even after so long of being away. Not wanting to drag the past up, I finished eating and headed to bed. Sleep didn’t come easily and before I knew it the sun was coming up, leaving me feeling as though I hadn’t slept at all.

Checking out my reflection in the mirror, I removed my top and grimaced at the angry bruises that covered a majority of my side. Sat at the kitchen table with a steaming hot cup of coffee, I ate my breakfast and made my way out to the truck that was parked up on the roadside. I had just started walking along the path from my building, when something caught my attention and I crouched down to take a closer look.

The phone looked pretty new, but something about it was familiar and my blood ran cold as I realized where I’d seen it before. Lucas... the phone belonged to Lucas and there was no way he wouldn’t have noticed that it was gone. With the phone safe in the front pocket of my bag, I climbed into the truck and drove to the school.

I scanned the room as I walked into my first class, but Lucas wasn’t there and I took my seat. Each class that passed without Lucas present put me further on edge, but there was still time for him to show up and so I held on to the phone.

The final bell soon rang to signal the end of the school day and Lucas still hadn't shown, which was worrying. Unsure of what to do I sat in my truck and stared at the phone in my hand, trying a random code to try to unlock it.

Something wasn’t right and I had no idea what it was, but I had a really bad feeling. Perhaps Lucas had just taken the day off to recover, or maybe he was ill and would be in the following day as if he hadn’t been absent at all. Although plausible, I couldn’t shake the feeling that it was something more serious and headed home.

There was absolutely nothing that I could do right now, I couldn’t take the phone to his house without causing him issues and there was no way that I was going to contact his family... my only option was to wait.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy ♥