Frozen Hearts

Nine - Lucas

How long have I been here?

Time seems to be at a standstill as I sat here in chains attached to the wall. Routine beatings were, what I assumed was daily, the only way I kept track of my days. If I was correct, I’ve been here close to a week. Knowing how my family operates more than likely I’ve been written off as deceased and forgotten about, I hope that included Gabriel, but he wasn’t that simple. He had always promised to look for me if something ever happens. However, I had long since given up on myself, I don’t care if I die, but I do care if he does.

The door opens to my left and in walks the torturer that’s been here every day. I don’t bother to say anything as they pull the weapon cart in behind them. The triad was good at making a show of things, to remind you that you’re going to die, even if you’re already aware. I look at the photos that they start putting up on the wall and realize they’re all pictures of Gabriel. I yank at the chains as they walk over to me laughing.

“Your little boyfriend has been looking for you,” He said as he grabs my chin, “we’ve been dropping well-placed clues to lead him here. Way I look at it we get a two for one kill,” He adds.

I yank my head away, “fuck you! You won’t lay a hand on Gabe!” I snarl.

“We already know the boy isn’t that strong. He’s weaker than you and we still managed to catch you, didn’t we?” He asks.

I laugh in his face, “you only caught me because I was already hurt, I would have loved to have seen you come at me without this injury. I would’ve separated your skull from your neck,” I snarl with bloodlust.

I earned a punch to the face and a knee to the gut for the backtalk. I spat out blood from my mouth and look up at the torturer with a grin. They were starting to get pissed at me and I could see that what I was saying was striking a nerve. I’d never been more fearful of someone getting hurt and I wasn’t about to just sit here and let them do this. I had to keep all the attention on me instead of him.

“Try what you want, he’s already on his way here and nothing you can say will change that,” He said laughing. He reaches for the knife on the cart and I prepare for the killing blow.

I had hope that Gabriel wasn’t being an idiot, but I’ve known him for so long, so I know that they’re more than a little correct. He would be risking his life for someone that truly didn’t deserve it. He was in town to kill me anyway and now was his chance to weaken my family and get me out of the way, he should take this instead of trying to save me.

I look into the eyes of the torturer as he lifts the knife and stabs it deep into my abdomen. Blood involuntarily comes from my mouth and I keep looking at the man without fear as the black seeps from the corners of my eyes.

Gabriel.