Can’t Look Away

11: Why Are You Going To Do That?

Crouching down beside the sofa, Lionel quirked a soft smile, his fingers gently moving Sasha’s hair back off of her face. She hadn’t meant to fall asleep. They had had dinner, and they’d talked for a while before he had suggested putting on a film, but somewhere between the opening and closing credits, she had drifted off, and he had been hesitant to wake her. She looked relaxed. For the first time since she had stepped foot into his home, she looked content and comfortable, and he had wanted to enjoy that for a while. He hoped that he had managed to reassure her that things between them were going to be fine. Whatever she had seen on Leila’s face when she had told her sister that they were seeing one another had obviously knocked her already fragile confidence in them, but he hoped that he had soothed her worries a little bit. He wanted her to share the good feeling he had about them.

He couldn’t change history. What had happened between him and Leila couldn’t be erased to make sure that Sasha felt more confident about the two of them, but he could reassure that it wasn’t anything to be worried about. It hadn’t been anything. A few years previous, after they’d both gone through slightly messy breakups, he and Leila had ended up in bed a couple of times, but it had never become anything more. It had never had the potential to. He had liked Leila. They had met through mutual friends and had always gotten on, but there was no romantic spark between them and after a couple of nights together, they had both agreed that it was for the best that they called it off. Lionel hadn’t wanted more, Leila hadn’t either, and only a matter of weeks later, she had introduced Olivier.

Tucking her hair behind her ear, he took another moment to look at her before he spoke gently. “Sasha” he murmured.

Sasha’s eyes fluttered open, glancing around the room for a moment, before they focused on Lionel. Blinking a couple of times, she quirked a sleepy smile and sat up, trying to brush the kinks out of her hair with her fingers. “You should have woken me sooner” she mumbled.

Lionel shrugged as he moved to perch on the edge of the coffee table. “You clearly needed it” he replied.

“It’s not exactly romantic” Sasha countered.

Lionel’s lips quirked upwards. “I don’t know” he quipped “There’s something to be said for you looking so comfortable here” he added.

Sasha’s cheeks turned a soft shade of pink as she shook her head. “I’m still sorry” she muttered “Between the night shift and worrying about tonight, I didn’t get enough sleep. I probably should have postponed” she added.

“I really didn’t mind, Sasha” Lionel said, offering her another warm smile “I’d have let you sleep for longer if I could. But if you want a lift home, I had to wake you. I’ve got a match tomorrow afternoon, and I need to get some sleep in before that” he added.

Sasha’s eyes searched his face for a moment before she ducked her head, smiling shyly. “I’ll go and grab my shoes, then” she mused.

Lionel laughed softly, watching her out of the living room, before he moved to catch her up.

~#~
“What is your week looking like next week?” Lionel asked as he walked beside Sasha, gently holding her hands in his. She had told him that there was no need to park so far away. Cassie was out for the night, and it meant that the spot that was usually filled by her car was available nearer to Sasha’s home, but Lionel had ignored her. He liked the little walk from his car to her house.

“Busy” Sasha replied, offering him a wry smile “I’ve got two days off, Wednesday and Friday, and Friday is already taken” she added.

Lionel gasped playfully. “You made plans with someone else?” he asked.

Sasha rolled her eyes, bumping his side gently. “I didn’t exactly make them” she replied “It’s my father’s birthday. My mother’s throwing him a surprise party” she added.

Lionel nodded his head, a slightly rueful smile on his face. “Would they notice if you weren’t there?” he quipped.

Sasha let out a soft laugh. “I’d like to hope so” she noted.

Lionel laughed along with her, squeezing her hand gently as they came to a stop outside of her house. “Can I see you on Wednesday then?” he asked “Seeing as you’re ditching me to spend time with your family on Friday” he added, rolling his eyes teasingly.

Sasha moved towards him, wrapping her arms around him in a warm hug.

Lionel reciprocated it happily, resting his chin on top of her head.

“If it is any consolation, I’d rather spend time with you” Sasha mumbled gently “Don’t get me wrong, I love my family, but they’re also quite a lot” she added.

“I’m sure it will be fine” Lionel replied.

Sasha nodded against him before she pulled back, smiling at him gently. “It will be” she mused “I don’t see my parents or my brother enough, and I am sure that Leila can’t wait to gush about the honeymoon. It’ll be a good night” she added.

Lionel pulled her back in close, not quite ready for the hug to be over. “Wednesday night will be better” he boasted quietly.

Sasha laughed, happy to sink back into the hug. “I don’t remember actually agreeing to go out with you on Wednesday” she teased.

Lionel tugged back slightly, offering her a slightly incredulous look that made Sasha laugh harder. “You should see your face” she said “Of course I want to see you” she added.

Lionel feigned a glare, causing Sasha to snicker a little more before she leant up, pecking his lips lightly. “You’re cute” she mused.

Lionel hugged her again, allowing the two of them to fall into a comfortable moment of quiet before Sasha pulled back, tucking her hands into the pockets of her coat. “You need to go” she said softly “You need to get some sleep, remember?” she added.

Lionel’s lips ticked up at the soft concern in her voice. “I do” he confirmed “I’m going to call you tomorrow, though” he added.

“Why are you going to do that?” Sasha asked, playing along.

“I like talking to you” Lionel replied as though it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Sasha smiled down at her feet, nodding her head slightly. “I look forwards to it, then” she quipped.

Lionel waited for Sasha to make the move. After a brief hesitation, her feet moved towards him and she leant in, allowing Lionel to kiss her softly before they both drew back. Shooting each other shy smiles, Sasha moved towards the front door whilst Lionel edged back towards the foot of the path. He watched her through the door, returning the slightly goofy wave she offered him, before he began to walk back towards his car, hoping that that night had left Sasha feeling as good about them as he did.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and Twisted;;Symphony for the comments :)