Can’t Look Away

55: I Would Hate To See You Lose Him

“Sasha, you need to eat something”

Sasha, who had just been staring at the plate of food in front of her, jumped at the sound of Cassie’s voice before she sighed, nodding her head slightly. “I know” she murmured.

“What are you waiting for, then?” Cassie prodded “It’s good stuff. I made it myself” she added, flashing Sasha a warm grin as she stole a piece of food from the edge of the plate.

Sasha rolled her eyes, the start of a smile curling up one corner of her mouth, before she picked up her fork, taking a few mouthfuls of the meal that Cassie had made for her. She was trying to take care of her. Whilst Cassie was being cautious, and treading lightly around the subject of Lionel, she was still trying her hardest to make sure that Sasha was alright, and Sasha adored her for it. She had snapped a few times. Since Lionel had left a couple of days previous, Cassie had, tentatively, tried to coax Sasha into talking about what had happened, and each time, Sasha had overreacted, something which made her all the more grateful that Cassie was still around. She wouldn’t have blamed her for leaving her to wallow by herself.

“It’s good, right?” Cassie prodded.

Sasha nodded. “It is” she confirmed “Thank you for making it” she added.

Cassie shrugged nonchalantly, swiping another piece of food from the edge of the plate. “I like cooking, you know that” she mused “Besides, Leo asked me to look after you and baby, and I intend to fulfil that promise” she added, glancing at Sasha to see her reaction to Lionel’s name.

Sasha’s eyes closed. “Cassie...”

“I’ve let it go for days” Cassie interrupted, knowing what was coming “Because I know that you’re hurting, and because I don’t want to stress you out, but we both know that we can’t avoid talking about it forever, so you can pout for a few more days, and put off the inevitable, or you can just get it over and done with, the decision is yours” she added.

She didn’t want to push her. With the baby to think about, the last thing Cassie wanted to do was stress her out, but she knew that if she left it, then Sasha wouldn’t do anything and she would stress herself out anyway. It was how she coped. Sasha had never been one for lashing out, but Cassie knew that letting her bottle up her feelings wouldn’t help the situation. If she did nothing, then nothing would change, and the pain that she obviously felt from Lionel not being around would remain.

Sasha rubbed her forehead, exhaling a soft sigh as she tried to soothe a spell of dizziness. “What do you want me to say, Cass?” she asked.

“I just want you to talk” Cassie replied “We both know that you suck at it” she added, softening the comment with a teasing smile

Sasha smiled despite herself.

“I know that it hurts” Cassie continued, her voice growing more serious “And I am not trying to dismiss or downplay that, so don’t snap at me for this next bit. I just...He didn’t do anything wrong, Sasha” she added.

“Except kiss my sister” Sasha grumbled.

Cassie reached across the table, gently gathering Sasha’s hands in hers. “Sasha” she pleaded gently.

“It happened, Cassie” Sasha argued “Does the context really matter?” she asked.

“Of course it does!” Cassie retorted “I was there, Sasha, and I saw the look on his face. Leila blind-sided him, you ought to be pissed at her, but Leo? I understand why you’re hurt. I get that you’re scared of things repeating themselves after Alex and Olivier, but you have to know that he’s not like that. You have to know that loves you, Sasha” she insisted.

Sasha ducked her head, closing her eyes again. “I know I am being dramatic, OK?” she murmured.

“You’re allowed to be upset” Cassie said “Of course you’re allowed to be upset, but I just...I think you’re maybe directing your anger in the wrong direction. He was trying to comfort your crying sister. He saw her as his girlfriend’s sister, not his ex-girlfriend, and he was trying to do the right thing. Doesn’t he deserve some kind of points for that?” she prodded, her thumb gently brushing the back of Sasha’s hand.

Sasha blinked a couple of times, trying to stop her head from swimming, before she sighed. “They still kissed, Cass” she murmured.

“I know” Cassie replied “But are you really prepared to lose him over this? You’ve been so happy since he came along. He’s brought you back out of the shell that Alex and Olivier pushed you back into, and I would hate to see you lose that over this. I would hate to see you lose him” she added.

Sasha was quiet for a few moments, thinking over what Cassie had said, before her phone alarm chirped somewhere in the distance, causing her to let out a quiet sigh. “I’ll give it some thought” she murmured “But right now, I need to get into the shower and get ready for work” she added.

“Are you sure that you’re feeling up to it?” Cassie prodded.

Sasha nodded as she pushed herself up from the table. Taking a deep breath, she only managed to take a couple of steps before she stumbled, something which caused Cassie to shoot out of her seat, capturing her arm. “Sasha” she squeaked.

Sasha blinked up at her. “Cassie” she whispered “I...I…” she trailed off as her legs gave way beneath her.

Cassie caught her before she could fall. Gently, she lowered her to the ground before she gently tapped her cheek, causing Sasha’s eyes to flutter open again, staring up at her vaguely. “Sasha, you need to stay awake, OK?” she urged gently, trying to hide the panic in her voice “I need you to keep those eyes open while I call an ambulance, OK?” she added.

Sasha’s blinks were slow. “I feel weird, Cass” she said weakly.

Cassie fumbled with her phone, still gently cradling Sasha’s head on her lap. “I am going to get help” she insisted “Just stay awake for me” she added.

Sasha nodded, but it appeared laboured, and her eyes shut again, something which made Cassie squeak as she spoke to the ambulance operator. Once she had given the details, she gently tapped Sasha’s cheek whilst she scrolled through her phone, finding Lionel’s number. Smashing the call button, she held it against her ear before his voice snipped into her ears, causing her to let out a soft sob in relief. “Leo, something happened” she said shakily “I don’t know what, but something’s wrong with Sasha and I...I don’t know what to do. I’ve called an ambulance, and they’re coming, but I just...you need to know. You need to be here” she spoke quickly, and her words were almost impossible to decipher, but she knew that Lionel had understood when he replied.

“What happened?” Lionel said.

“I...I don’t know” Cassie spluttered “We were talking, and she just sort of passed out. I don’t know what to do” she whispered.

“Wait for the ambulance” Lionel replied “And when it gets there, text me the hospital name. I’ll be there, Cass, even if she doesn't want me to be. I will be there” he insisted, earning another soft sob from Cassie who gently guided her fingers back through Sasha’s hair, willing her to be OK.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and Twisted;;Symphony for the comments :)