Can’t Look Away

87: I Don’t Think It Was The Flowers She Was Excited About

“Should I wake him so that we can get out of your hair?”

Lionel, who was gathering up the few dirty glasses that littered the living room, startled slightly before he looked up, his stare settling on Carina who was stood in the doorway, her stare fixed on her husband who had fallen asleep in the armchair across the room. He hadn’t heard her coming. When he had last seen her, Carina had been busy cooing over Cassie’s pregnancy whilst she had been bouncing Arlo, and Lionel had thought that it would keep her occupied. He had hoped that it would. He had always felt a little awkward around Carina. Whilst he and Eddie had gotten along almost instantly, he had always had the sense that Carina had been slightly more hesitant to warm to him, and it meant that he was always slightly more careful around her, not wanting to give her a reason to dislike him.

“You don’t have to” Lionel mused “I mean, it’s still early. Arlo probably wore him out” he added.

Carina smiled softly, her eyes lingering on her husband for a moment longer before they moved towards Lionel. “You’re probably right” she said “But he was so excited to see him that it was worth the exhaustion. Eddie might not let his feelings show that often, but he loves being a grandfather. He’d drop the world for Arlo and Ivy without hesitation, Leila’s little one too when he or she comes along” she added.

Lionel smiled at her politely, hoping that it didn’t look at all strained. He didn’t like to talk about Leila if he could help it. Shaking his head slightly, he returned to collecting glasses.

“Sasha says you guys are probably going to wait until next summer to get married” Carina mused, breaking the slightly awkward silence that had filled the room.

“Probably” Lionel replied, setting the glasses back down “I mean, I don’t think that that is what either one of us really wants, but it seems to be the way it is going to go. It makes the most sense” he added.

“The most sense?” Carina asked, slipping into a seat on the sofa.

“We talked briefly about just doing it” Lionel quipped “We’d gather everyone we wanted to be there, and just get it over and done with, but I was slightly hesitant. It’s an important day, and I don’t want to rush it just because we’re both a little...disappointed that the first time went as it did. I want it to be the day Sasha’s always dreamed of” he added with a shrug.

Carina looked up at him, a slight grin tugging at one corner of her mouth. “You think that it needs to be a big thing for it to be that?” she asked.

“I spent months looking at flowers and fabric samples and listening to Sasha gush over every one” Lionel countered “She got so excited, about so many things, and I just...I want her to have a day full of all of those things. I want her to love it” he insisted, a soft smile brightening his features.

Carina’s eyes studied his features for a moment before she shook her head, smiling down at her hands as she gently pushed her own wedding ring around her finger. “I don’t necessarily think it was the flowers she was excited about” she said.

“Carina...”

“I know we’re not the closest” Carina interrupted “And I know that Sasha would probably get upset if she thought that I was meddling, but I think this needs to be said. You don’t have to do anything with it. If you and Sasha still want to wait, then that’s up to you. I just...I think someone ought to tell you that the reason she was so excited about all of those things is because, really, she was excited about the two of you. She liked picking out flowers and trying on wedding dresses because she was excited to marry you, Lionel” she added.

Lionel sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck. “You think that that is what it was?” he asked.

“I do” Carina confirmed “Lionel, my daughter loves you more than anything. Has she told you about Alex?” she asked.

Lionel’s answering nod was slightly tight. “She has” he confirmed.

“Then you know how hard it was to even get her to talk about their engagement, let alone to make any kind of plan” Carina mused “But with you...I know it’s not all been straightforward and easy, but when it came to talking about your engagement, or your wedding plans, you couldn’t shut her up. It’s not weddings she’s crazy about. I am pretty sure that it’s you” she added fondly.

Lionel’s face lit up with a soft boyish smile, something which made Carina smile too. Leaning over, she gently squeezed Lionel’s hand before she moved back towards the doorway.

“Carina”

Carina stopped and turned around, an encouraging smile on her face. “Yes?” she asked.

Lionel opened and closed his mouth a couple of times, trying to find the right words, before he sighed. “I can give you my mother’s phone number” he said “And you can talk to Cassie, I am sure she would like to help, too. You and Cassie would know what Sasha likes, and my mother would love to help in anyway she can” he babbled.

Carina tilted her head. “What are you asking me to do, Lionel?” she asked.

“I said I didn’t love the idea of waiting” Lionel said “So, I think I am asking you to help me plan a wedding that I can surprise Sasha with” he added, the tops of his cheeks flushing a soft shade of pink.

Carina blinked a couple of times, surprised by the answer, before a wide smile split across her features. “Really?” she pressed.

“Is she going to hate it?” Lionel’s voice was nervous, his eyes were wide.

Carina shook her head without hesitation. “No” she insisted “She’s going to love it. It’s a wonderful idea. So sweet, so romantic” she gushed.

Lionel’s expression was still slightly wary, but he managed a small smile that Carina returned before she stepped towards him, wrapping him in an excited hug. Lionel let out a small sound of surprise, but after only a moment of hesitation, he hugged her back gently.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Twisted;;Symphony for the comment :)