Can’t Look Away

92: I Figured It Was For Her

“How do you feel?”

Sasha blinked her eyes open, allowing her to focus on Lionel’s face which was mere millimetres from her own, his expression lit up with a soft, awed smile. It had passed too quickly. After she had let go of her father’s hand, and taken the one that Lionel held out to her, everything was a blur, but she could still hear the last words that had been spoken before the loud applause had started. Her ears were still ringing with the announcement that she and Lionel were husband and wife.

Lifting a hand, she gently pushed his dark hair back off of his forehead before she felt a slow smile spread across her face. “I can’t quite believe it” she whispered “We actually did it” she added.

Lionel dipped forwards, pressing a quick kiss to her smiling lips. “You don’t need to sound so surprised” he teased “I told you we’d get there. It’s meant to be” he added.

Sasha giggled, but it was quickly swallowed by another soft kiss that lasted until the applause began to fade, causing the two of them to turn towards the crowd. Showing off their intertwined hands, they waited for a few beats, allowing their photographer to snap a few pictures, before Carina stood up, gently placing Arlo into Lionel’s arms. “Congratulations” she cooed, pressing a soft kiss to Lionel’s cheek.

“Thank you” Lionel replied “For everything, Carina” he added, flashing her a slightly bashful smile. It hadn’t escaped him that, without the conversation he had had with his mother-in-law, he and Sasha would have spent a lot more time waiting for a moment that they were impatient for.

Carina patted his cheek dotingly before she turned to Sasha, starting a procession of hugs and cheers that led Lionel and Sasha slowly back up the aisle.

~#~
Tucking Arlo’s baby monitor into the pocket of his jacket, Lionel sunk down onto the top stair, his ears filled with the distant sound of music that filtered back into the house from the party that was still going on outside. It had been better than he had thought it would be. As much help as Carina and Cassie had been, he had still been worried that it wouldn’t live up to Sasha’s expectations, but as soon as he had seen her face light up, any doubt that he had had had been blasted away, reassuring him that what Carina had told him had been true. It had never been about the when, or the how. It was about him and Sasha.

Reaching a hand up, he loosened the tie that was around his neck before he heard footsteps moving towards him, causing him to glance up, his stare settling on Leila who’d stopped a few steps down, a slightly sheepish smile on her face. “Sorry” she murmured “I was trying to get to the guest bathroom. This child seems to think that my bladder is his or her personal trampoline” she added, coasting a hand over her pronounced baby bump.

Lionel smiled despite himself. “Arlo was the same” he quipped “Sasha could barely go half an hour without needing to get up when she was close to her due date” he added.

The slightly wary expression that Leila had had on her face softened. She hadn’t been expecting Lionel to make conversation. “Today was amazing” she announced after a moment of silence “What you did for her, all of this. It was wonderful” she added.

“Your mother and Cassie did most of the details” Lionel replied with a bashful shrug.

“My mother won’t stop cooing about how wonderful you are” Leila countered “She is saying this is all on you” she added.

Lionel laughed sheepishly, but didn’t say anything, allowing a brief moment of awkward silence to pass before Leila cleared her throat, fussing with the material of her dress. “I want to say thank you” she murmured “I mean, I said it to Sasha earlier, but seeing as she had no idea about any of this, I don’t think my invitation came from her, which means I probably ought to say it to you. I know how easy it would have been to not invite me” she added.

“Leila...”

“No one who knows all the things that have happened between us would blame you if you hadn’t invited me” Leila continued talking like she hadn’t heard Lionel’s voice “But you did, so thank you for it. I’ve done an awful job of showing it, but I do love my little sister, and being here, to see her looking so happy...I can’t thank you enough for that” she added.

Lionel opened and closed his mouth a couple of times before he sighed, his hand rubbing his jaw. “I did it for her” he said.

Leila nodded, a slightly rueful smile on her face. She had always figured that it had been Lionel trying to make Sasha happy, rather than an attempt to fix the burnt bridges between them. “I figured it was for her” she mused “But, still. Thank you, Leo” she added before she leant over awkwardly, pressing a brief kiss to his cheek.

Lionel moved to help Leila stand again before he pushed himself up to his feet, scooting out of her way. “The bathroom is the second door on the left” he said.

Leila offered him a tight smile before she padded away, allowing Lionel to sink back down onto the step, blowing out a slightly frustrated sigh. He wanted the tension to ease, but it wasn’t easy. Leila had done a lot of damage, and whilst Sasha had accepted the apology she had offered, Lionel was reluctant to. He had watched her get back on Sasha’s good side just to hurt her again too many times.

“Did Arlo give you a hard time?”

Lionel’s head whipped up, his eyes landing on Sasha who stood ahead of him, a small crease between her eyebrows. “Huh?” he spluttered.

“You look frustrated” Sasha clarified “I figured Arlo had been fussy” she added.

Lionel shook his head. “He was out before I put him in the crib” he noted.

“Then, what’s up?” Sasha asked “For a man who has just gotten married, you look awfully grumpy” she added, her happiness and excitement audible in her voice.

Lionel stared up at her, marvelling at the happy expression she wore, before he shook his head, letting out a laugh that he hoped Sasha wouldn’t be able to tell was a little forced. “I’m just a little tired” he replied.

“Too tired to dance with your new wife?” Sasha feigned a pout.

Lionel shook his head and stood up. “Never” he quipped “Just lead the way” he added.

Sasha grinned and took his hand, leading him back through the house. Lionel was happy to follow her, more than happy with his decision not to mention Leila. It was a conversation that they had had that had ruined more than one night, and he wasn’t about to let it ruin that one.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Twisted;;Symphony for the comment :)