Status: New story. Not related to Girl I Know. Give it a read!

Masterpiece Theater

No Place Like Home

I walked into the bar and looked around nervously. The lights were hazy, the music was loud, and there were people everywhere. The clatter of balls could be heard from the back as people played pool.

Typical Saturday night.

I walked towards the bar, my heels clacking against the warped wooden floor. Squeezing between two guys on stools, I put both arms out over the counter top and waited, looking around for my best friend.

"Whatcha drinkin'?" The bartender asked me as he served up two pints of beer.

"Gimme a beer and two shots of José, please."

He pulled the Sam Adams from the tap and the bottle of tequila from the top shelf. I dug a wad of cash from my pants pocket and handed him a twenty before downing the first shot.

Pulling away from the bar with my hands full, I couldn't believe that Ali had bailed on me. I hadn't even wanted to come out, but she made a valid point about not having any fun since I made the move back.

With a sigh, I found a table close to the pool tables and sat. My phone told me I had no calls, no messages. I took my second shot distractedly as I called Ali to bitch.

"Where the hell are you? I'm here, I'm waiting, and I'm pissed. Call me back. Better yet, get your ass down here."

The same time I pulled the phone from my ear, some guy hit my table with his backside, knocking over my beer and spilling it all over me.

"What the hell?" I screamed, jumping up. "What is wrong with you?"

The guys around him were snickering. He looked embarrassed and at least a little sympathetic.

"I am so sorry. Are you okay? Here, let me-" he grabbed a handful of napkins from the dispenser on another table and started dabbing at me. First my legs, then my waist, and then up my shirt.

"I think I got it." I snapped, taking the soaked and useless things from him. I held my shirt away from my body, muttering to myself.

"Can I buy you another?" He asked sheepishly. I tossed the napkins on the table. They hadn't done a lot of good.

"Another shirt? Definitely. And a new pair of jeans. Another drink, no, I think I'll pass."

"Nice one, Gates." The tall lanky one snickered. The shorter one with a Mohawk lit a cigarette and smiled.

"Maybe next time look behind you before pulling a combo."

"Look, I really didn't mean-"

"Just…" I started. I took a deep breath. "Get away from me, okay?"

I walked away, intending to leave. Unfortunately, he followed me.

"Let me at least pay for a cab." He offered.

I made it outside without answering. I dialed Ali's number again with no result. He was still hovering behind me.

"Please." He tried. He stepped closer and held out his hand. "I'm Brian."

I looked at his calloused hand and then at him. He had a hint of a smile at the corner of his mouth and a thin hoop in his nose. His jaw was narrow, cheeks hollow. His eyes were dark, curtained by shaggy black hair.

All in all, not bad looking. Not my type, but still not bad looking.

"Laurel." I muttered, shaking his hand.

"I really am sorry."

I rolled my eyes and turned away from him. "It's fine."

A cab pulled up to the curb. I opened the door.

"You sure you're okay?" He asked, holding it open for me.

"Don't worry about it."

As I slid in, he had his wallet out. I watched as he peeled one, two, three hundred dollars off the stack of cash and hand it to me, a bunch of fifties and twenties.

"I appreciate it, but it's...not necessary. I can't take this." I pushed his hand away, he brought it back.

"For the cab, and a new outfit. I insist."

"No."

"Why not?"

"I don't even know you. How do I know you didn't rob somebody?"

"It's fine."

"No, it's not."

"Why are you being so stubborn? Just take it."

"I'm not taking that."

"Yo!" The driver yelled, turning to look at us. "Shut the door or get the hell out of my cab."

I got out and slammed the door. The driver peeled away and I started walking. Brian continued to follow me.

"You should have just taken the money." He chastised.

"I'm not gonna take three hundred bucks from some jackass who spilled beer on me."

"That's a little harsh."

"Why are you following me?" I turned on him, almost smacking against him. He backed up, hands out in surrender.

"You can't walk alone."

"Oh great," I laughed. "He's chivalrous." With a shake of my head, I waited for the roads to clear before running across the street. He followed.

"You have something against chivalry?"

"I have something against guys who think they're being nice but are completely disregarding the fact that they're making the woman they're being nice to uncomfortable." I explained in a huff.

"I'm just trying to make up for ruining your night. I'll leave you alone." He turned, shoving his hands in his jeans pockets, and headed back across the street.

Now I felt like a bitch. Muttering again, I raced through traffic and started shouting like a crazy person. His long legs gave him an advantage.

"Hey," I shouted. Being in heels didn't help with the chasing. "Hey...Brian. Wait up."

At his name, he stopped and turned, his snap-back almost flying off his head in a gust of wind he created.

"What?"

"You didn't…" I muttered, trying not to look at him. "You didn't ruin my night."

"Good to know." Thinking that was all, he turned back to keep walking.

"It's just…" I started. He stopped and turned. I caught up with him. "I was supposed to meet someone and they didn't show up. So actually, you are the highlight of my night."

"What the hell kind of guy would stand you up?" Disbelief rang in his voice. I smiled at the misplaced flattery.

"No guy. My best friend. She tricked me into coming out and bailed."

"Lucky me."

"Anyways, thanks for offering to pay for the cab, and new clothes, and walk with me."

"No problem. You sure you don't want-"

I waved him off. "I'll be okay. I think I remember my way around. You should get back to your friends."

"Well, Laurel, it was my pleasure to spill beer on you."

I smiled. He held out his hand and I took it. He bent down and kissed the top of mine with a smile. "See you around."

"Maybe." I returned the smile and watched him walk away. He looked back at me halfway down the sidewalk. Realizing I was still staring, I quickly turned and hurried around the corner, laughing to myself.

Home sweet home. There was nothing like downtown Huntington Beach. You never knew what was going to happen.
♠ ♠ ♠
New Story. I know it starts off slow, but I'm building up. Please let me know what you think.

<3 Madi