Status: New story. Not related to Girl I Know. Give it a read!

Masterpiece Theater

Good to You

When we got to Munchies Pizza, the guys took over, dragging two tables together and ordering two pitchers of beer. I sat next to Laurel, keeping my arm around her and a smile on my face.

The guys had taken an instant liking to her. I wasn’t sure what Matt’s deal was, but he was the only one who didn’t seem happy that I wasn’t moping about her anymore. I’d have to have a legitimate conversation with him later.

When Laurel walked out of the room answering her phone, I was worried that it was going to be another emergency. After she had left that night, I hadn’t really given much thought to what she had said about having a twin brother.

I probably should have talked with her instead of kicking her out, but I was pissed and I was jealous and I kind of didn’t believe her.

Jimmy ordered for the whole table after a brief argument to decide what we were getting. “A large Mowie Wowie, a medium Munchies special, and two orders of garlic bread.”

“Can I get a Greek salad, too, please?” Laurel asked the waiter. We all looked at her in confused silence.

“What? I like salad.”

“You’re not gonna eat? Brian, how dare you bring us a girl who doesn’t eat?” Johnny mock accused.

“How was I supposed to know?” I joked. We were teasing her, and she took it well.

“I eat just fine, thank you. Probably better than you.”

“You think so?” Johnny taunted.

“I know so.”

“Bet then. Twenty bucks, I eat more than you.”

Laurel leaned forward, enjoying the game. “Fifty bucks, and when I win, you dye your hair pink.”

“Fine. Fifty bucks, and when I win, Brian dyes his hair pink.”

Laurel smiled, looking at me. My objections were ignored as she held out her hand to Johnny. Johnny shook it and the deal was sealed. When the waiter brought over Laurel’s salad and the garlic bread, she smiled.

“Half the salad, two pieces of bread, each, to start.”

“You’re on.”

I divided up the salad and they dug in, staring each other down. It was all in good fun, and I hoped that Laurel could back up her claim. Even if it was just for a day, I wasn’t too keen on having pink hair. I’m sure Johnny wasn’t either, but better him than me.

The pizzas came out just as they cleaned their plates and finished off their first glass of beer.

“Ready?” She taunted.

“One of each?”

Laurel nodded and passed her plate down to the end, where Jimmy was dishing everyone up. We were all curious to see who would win out. Johnny was notorious for making bets and winning. Anytime we were in Vegas, he always came out with the most cash. No one could figure out how he got so lucky.

I looked across the table at Matt. Him and Zack were in a deep conversation about something, but I couldn’t make out what. It was odd for them not to join in, encouraging the whole thing. Something really had Matt wound up and I wanted to know what it was.

I munched on my own pizza, laughing at the way Johnny and Laurel were staring each other down. I ate with one hand, keeping the other on Laurel's back. I couldn't explain it, but now that she was here next to me, I felt I could keep her by weighing down her presence, and if I wasn't constantly touching her, she would disappear again.

In the middle of his second slice, Johnny tapped out. With a groan, he put the slice back on his plate and sat back, holding his stomach. Laurel chewed down her crust and washed it down with beer, smiling in victory.

"I win. Pay up." She held out her hand and, grumbling, Johnny pulled out his wallet.

Artfully, Laurel folded the money and stuck it in her bra. "Don't worry, Johnny. It's going to a good cause. I'll buy your hair dye with it."

He scowled and drank, but was still a good sport about it.

"You ready?" I asked her quietly.

"Yeah. I just have to go to the bathroom. I'll meet you outside."

We stood up together. "You two kids going to make out?" Jimmy catcalled. I just rolled my eyes and walked out to the car.

"Thanks for doing this." I told her while we drove. I didn't have a particular destination in mind, but I knew bringing her home would only result in more sex and no talking. Not that I was complaining, but we definitely needed to talk before things went further.

"It was nice. I had fun." She grabbed my hand and turned to smile at me. "Thanks for inviting me."

"So you're not mad?"

A big sigh. "I don't know. Kind of, I guess. I mean, you didn't really lie to me, but you didn't tell me, either. I get why, but it would have been nice to know."

"No, I get it. I should have told you. I'm sorry." I took her hand and kissed it before locking my fingers with hers and holding it tighter.

"I'm not off the hook, either. You were wrong when you said I didn't owe you an explanation. I do."

I'd pulled into an unmarked parking lot, close to the pier. I figured walking on the beach was as good a place as any for this conversation. She bent down to take off her sandals and I wrapped my arm around her shoulders, keeping her close while we hit the sand.

"I don't even know where to start," she muttered, leaning into me. "My dad died a few months ago. After the funeral, Jason decided he wanted to move back here. I didn't have a good reason to tell him no and he wasn't going to move without me."

"Jason is your brother?" I confirmed. She nodded.

"I'm only twelve minutes older, but he's my responsibility. Instead of staying with him when my parents split, I left him with my mother. He wound up in the system. It was a huge drawn out legal thing. We were fifteen when my dad was finally able to bring him back to Chicago."

"Oh, wow. I'm so sorry." I didn't know what to say. The only person I really knew with a more dysfunctional home life was Jimmy. High school was a nightmare for him.

She kept talking. I pulled her closer.

"I'm the only one Jason can count on. I feel guilty for leaving him, so I promised it wouldn't happen again. He means everything to me. It's my job to keep him safe. He isn't...stable. He doesn't do too well on his own."

I wasn't sure what to say. I didn't really know her and I damn sure didn't know her brother, but she trusted me with this information, and other than the phone call I overheard, it was all I had to go on.

"You, me, and...Jason?" I tried out slowly, thinking I understood. She nodded.

"He's got a boyfriend right now, so it's a little easier, but I'm the one that's gonna be stuck cleaning up the mess. I don't wanna be alone anymore, Brian, and I don't want anyone else."

She stopped and turned to me, locking her hands behind my back. The wind whipped her hair around, making it impossible for me to look into her eyes.

Cupping her face in my hand, I kissed her slowly.

"If it means that much to you, then okay." I agreed. "I just want you to be happy. I want to be with you."

She smiled and her whole face lit up. Her eyes sparkled and she kissed me again, her excitement knocking me over.

We landed in the sand in a fit of giggles. She climbed into my lap and nuzzled my neck, dragging her teeth across the tender flesh. I hissed and held her tighter, moving my head around so that I could kiss her again.

"You know," I said after a few minutes. "I have a perfectly good bed we haven't tried out yet."

"Your couch and your shower not good enough?" She teased.

"I just want things to be properly done." I said with a smile, kissing her again, prying her mouth open with my tongue. Before I could get too deep, she latched onto it and sucked.

I growled and dug my fingers into her sides.

"Careful or everyone's gonna get a show." I murmured against her mouth.

She pulled away and climbed off. It took her a minute to stand and get her balance, but when she did, she held her hand out to help me up. As soon as I stood, I threw my arms around her shoulders, squeezing her tight and nuzzling her neck.

"You're cruel."

"I'll make it up to you." She promised.

And as soon as we got in the car, she did, and I was grateful that all I was wearing was a pair of board shorts.

She leaned over and kissed my neck, nipping the skin with her teeth, gently sucking, as she slid her hand under my waistband and took a firm hold of my shaft.

"Jesus." I hissed. She was half out of her seat, sucking on my neck, and rubbing me up and down slowly. I could only partially concentrate on my driving. Luckily, home was only fifteen minutes away.