Status: New story. Not related to Girl I Know. Give it a read!

Masterpiece Theater

All to Myself

“It was really fun. We didn’t do much skiing, but we did hang out at the cabin and spend a lot of time in the hot tub.” Jason told me, but he didn’t look at me as he hit his bowl. I’d followed Brian with the corner of my eye as he disappeared into the kitchen, giving me and my brother much needed space.

“I figured Ian would have come back with you.” I commented, lighting a cigarette. Jason had been home long enough to have a conversation with Brian, but I didn’t dare interrupt my brother’s revelry to approach the subject.

“Ian, uh,” he started on an inhale. He held the smoke for a few long seconds before continuing. “Ian stayed.”

“Why?”

Jason shrugged. He exhaled, tamped down the ashes in his bowl with the corner of his lighter, and hit it again.

I knew what he was doing. I’d seen it plenty of times. Deflecting, numbing himself, trying not to break down until he processed.

We sat in tense silence. I wanted to push the issue but I didn’t. Jason would explain in his own time.

After three minutes of me watching him smoke, his bowl was finally cashed. He set it down on the coffee table and leaned back. I brushed my fingers through his overgrown hair and sighed.

“Are you okay?”

Another casual shrug. “He’s coming back. He said that it wasn’t over. He just wanted some time alone.”

“Well you stayed three extra days. That should have been a good sign.”

“I don't know, Lor. Guess we'll find out when he gets back."

The only reason he wasn't more upset over it was because he was high. As soon as he sobered up, it would hit him and I would be stuck with the mess. I wanted to say something about the fact that the first thing he did was hit up his dealer for a dime bag, but it wasn't the time.

"I'll make some tea." I suggested. He nodded and curled into the side of the couch, eyes closed.

In the kitchen, Brian was smoking and thumbing his phone, shooting a rapid fire text message. I came up slowly and put my hand on the center of his back, rubbing slow circles over his shirt.

"Everything okay?" I asked him

"Of course." He pecked my lips and offered his cigarette, which I took with a grateful smile.

"Is he okay?"

"Him and his boyfriend are taking some time."

He nodded, but something else flashed across his face, something I couldn't place. I filled up the tea kettle and leaned against the stove, running my hands through my hair and resting them at the base of my neck.

"Thank you for coming over."

"You're welcome."

Brian approached me slowly, taking my hands and putting them around his waist. He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and pressed my head against his chest, smoothing my hair down.

I didn't realize how much I needed the comfort. My chest tightened as I hugged him back and I exhaled slowly, grateful that I wasn't alone.

Feeling on the brink of total collapse, I pulled away before the waterworks could start and turned back to making tea.

In the shower, I'd looked over myself, counting the hickeys and the bruises, pleased but panicked. The minute Jason saw them, he would go ballistic.

My shower was quick and my expert makeup application was quicker. It wasn't really the hiding of hickeys I was such an expert in, but the concept was the same.

"What did he say when he saw you?"

We were speaking quietly so we didn't wake up Jason. He passed out about thirty seconds after I got up and he was snoring lightly, his chest rising and falling in even breaths.

Brian shrugged, putting his phone back in his pocket. "The usual brother stuff. Asked me who I was. He was faster on the uptake than you." He gave me a small nudge and smiled. "Told me not to break your heart or he'd hurt me."

"Are you planning to?" I teased.

He put his arms around me again, locking his fingers behind my back and smiling down at me. "Not a chance." He promised before diving in for a kiss.

I kissed him back, my mouth fitting perfectly against his. I pressed my body closer to his and slid my tongue past his lips. His hands broke apart and slid up my sides before back down over my hips and around to my back side.

He squeezed and pushed his own tongue into my mouth and then cupped my thighs, preparing to lift me up onto the counter.

"Jesus Christ. Get a fucking room." Jason blurted, squeezing between us to grab a mug for his tea.

So much for waiting for Brian to leave.

"Jason…" I started. "Be nice."

"Why?" He snapped. "I told you I just broke up with Ian and you're rubbing your shiny new relationship in my face."

"I am not! It's not my fault you're the lightest sleeper in the world."

"Isn't it?" He slammed the cabinet door shut and glared at me, his eyes filling up with blame and anger.

Even now, he still didn't forgive me.

Brian edged out of the kitchen, staying close by but not getting involved. He sat down in Jason's vacated seat on the couch and lit another cigarette, his phone once again in his hand.

"What is your problem, Jason?" I hissed.

"He's going to take you from me."

It was amazing how fast his demeanor could change. Zero to bipolar in four point six seconds. I shook my head and cupped his face, brushing my thumb across his cheek.

"No, he's not. Nothing could take me from you."

"You won't have time for me anymore. He'll want you to do everything with him."

I sighed and unwrapped some tea bags, putting chamomile and pomegranate in my own and chamomile and mint in his. He needed the extra help to relax.

The kettle hadn't whistled, but the water was boiling, so I poured it into the mugs, filling them to the brim.

"You ever think, Jason," I said with a sigh, "that he came here because he cares about me and knows how much you mean to me? He's not gonna let that happen, and I bet, if you were actually nice to him, he would invite you to come along."

"Yeah, I bet." He grumbled. He walked out, ready to go for his second round with Brian.

"Gates," I heard him growl. I rolled my eyes and followed, standing behind him and folding my arms across my chest.

"'Sup?" Brian stood and stepped closer to my brother.

"Are you serious about dating Laurel?"

"The hell kind of question is that? Of course I am, otherwise I wouldn't be here."

"You don't have any other commitments?"

"Not anymore. I dealt with them."

They stared each other down. Jason hadn't had to deal with me dating in over a year. No one I met was strong enough to deal with it, so I drew the line at the physical stuff and made sure not to cross it, but I knew Brian was different.

Brian would do whatever it took to keep me, even if it meant dealing with my overprotective and codependent brother.

Something silent passed between them. Some kind of unspoken bro code. Jason backed down and stepped away with a nod.

"I should go." Brian finally said. "My dad needs me to bring him some gear."

"I'll walk you down." I told him, pinning Jason with a stare.

As soon as we were outside, with the door firmly shut between us, he pulled me to him, kissing me with the same kind of hunger he had earlier.

I kissed him back, throwing my arms around him, and sighed when he started kissing my neck.

"You really have to see your dad or did you just want to get away from Jason?"

"Do I lose points if I say both?" He asked. I said nothing as his teeth grazed my skin, closing my eyes to revel in the sensation.

We needed to stop before we got arrested for public indecency, so we locked hands and started walking down.

"Jason can be a little...intense. He wasn't really fond of the last guy I dated. He's a little territorial." I mumbled, watching my feet.

It was easy to defend my brother without giving the full details.

I didn't mention that more often than not, Jason showed up at the restaurant, just to wait for me to go on break or get off. I wasn't going to tell him that most nights, I only got four hours of sleep because Jason was too manic and needed someone to listen to him and keep him grounded. I damn sure wasn't going to tell him that my brother was so desperate for my attention, he attempted suicide twice.

If he could go a good amount of time without finding out, it would be a very good thing.

"Don't sweat it. I have a younger sister. Age difference doesn't really factor into wanting to protect loved ones."

I smiled. When we reached his car, I kissed him again, not wanting him to go.

"You can come with me back to my place. Your car is still there." He offered.

I smiled and nodded, eagerly jumping into the passenger side.

Maybe if I was gone long enough, Jason would actually pass out.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm feeling generous today. I couldn't just leave you guys hanging like that.

<3 Madi