Status: New story. Not related to Girl I Know. Give it a read!

Masterpiece Theater

Say Anything

I waited outside for Brian, trying to find a solid reason to back out, and came up with nothing. I had zero plans for the next two hours and I had no good excuses.

He was cute. Coffee wouldn't hurt. What harm could one date do? And it wasn’t even really a date.

I pushed my hair back behind my ears as the breeze ruffled it. Before I could talk myself into leaving, he came out the door, seeming surprised I was actually waiting.

"Ready?"

“Yeah. You wanna follow me?”

“I actually rode with my buddy. Is it okay if I ride with you?”

“Go for it.”

He smiled and followed me to my silver Nissan Sentra. He popped the handle on the passenger door as soon as I unlocked it. I got behind the wheel and put my key in the ignition, wondering again if agreeing to coffee was such a good idea.

My radio started blasting music as soon as I turned it on. I smashed my hand against the power button, startled by the onslaught of heavy guitar.

"Was that Bullet for my Valentine?"

"Very good." I commended, putting the car into gear.

"You have good taste."

"So do you." I put on my sunglasses and pulled out of the parking lot, anxiously counting the seconds.

"Do you mind if I smoke?" He asked.

"Go ahead." I rolled the windows down and pulled a cigarette from my own pack as I headed towards AOSA Coffee.

"So did you ever hook up with your friend?"

"Ali? No. She probably found her way into some guy's bed and is still there." I muttered. I had tried calling her to go to the gym with me and she didn’t answer. I couldn’t be sure, but it was a pretty safe bet, and she would definitely hear it from me later.

"I'm sorry, again, for knocking your drink over."

I waved it off. "It's no biggie."

A lull in the conversation. I finished my cigarette, grateful for my phone ringing.

"Hello?"

"Hey, I thought you were coming by." Jason sounded frantic. I couldn’t help him right now.

"Something came up, but I'll see you tonight."

"Laurel, I really need to see you right now."

"I can't right now. I gotta go." Frustrated, I hung up. Brian nonchalantly just stared out the window

I lit another cigarette and angrily crossed four lanes of traffic to get into the parking lot. Cars honked and brakes squealed.

"Woah. Easy." He said, gripping the oh shit handle. I slammed the car into park.

"Sorry. I should have warned you. I'm a pretty aggressive driver."

"I can see that."

After he recovered from his near death experience, he tossed his butt. "You okay?"

"Yeah, fine. Let's go." I avoided. He got out and walked around so he could open my door for me. I grabbed his hand with a smile.

"Quite a gentleman."

"I try."

Our hands stayed clasped as we entered the cafe and stood in line.

"Can I get a large coffee please, and whatever she's getting." He ordered. I smiled.

"I'm not complicated. Same please." I told the girl. Brian handed over some money and took the cups, leading us to a table.

"So, other than going somewhere you clearly don't want to be and the gym, what else do you do?"

"Well, right now I'm still getting settled. I just moved back a couple weeks ago."

"Oh, from where?" He seemed genuinely interested as he tipped his paper cup back.

"Chicago."

"Big change?"

"Eh." I shrugged, stirring my coffee. "Different."

"You said you moved back though, so you're from here?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I grew up here. My parents split before I hit high school. I decided to live with my dad."

"So why'd you move back?"

Saved by the bell. My phone rang again. I mouthed an apology as I answered.

"Hey Ali. I'm at AOSA. See you in a few. Bye." I hung up, pushing my phone to the edge of the table.

"So what do you do when you're not stalking people?" I asked, getting the conversation away from me.

"I play guitar."

"Professionally?"

He nodded and drank some more coffee.

"Anything I've heard?"

"Uh...maybe." He dodged.

"Like what?"

"This and that. Couple of rifts here and there." He tossed out.

He was avoiding the question. Either he didn't have anything going for him at all, or he didn't want me to find out who he really was.

Probably for the best. It wasn't like having coffee with him was a commitment to anything else.

"So you're usually pretty busy?"

"Just depends on the day. You sound busy yourself."

I shrugged and finished my coffee. "Moving will do that to you. You ever move?"

"I travel a lot, but this is home. Always has been."

"I thought you played guitar?"

"I do. It involves a lot of...travel."

I looked at him. He seemed nervous. He chewed on his coffee stirrer. Another lull in the conversation.

"Where do you work?"

"Well, right now, I'm a waitress slash bartender."

"Where?"

I smiled in answer. It would have been ridiculous for me to tell him. I didn't trust him and two coincidences was enough for one person.

His phone rang. He glanced at it and shut it off. When he reached for my hand, I let him hold it. There was nothing wrong with harmless flirting.

His phone rang again. Cursing, he pulled away and walked outside, passing by Ali coming in.

She sat in his empty seat. "Was that him?"

I nodded.

"He's cute."

"Yes he is."

"You should give him your number."

"Ali! He could be some crazy murderer or something."

"You have serious trust issues. Come on. Laurel. You gotta give someone a chance. It's been what, a year since-"

"Yeah, so?" I cut her off quickly, eager to avoid the subject.

She rolled her eyes and stood up to order. I looked out the window and watched Brian as he paced, having a very heated conversation with whoever he was on the phone with.

He hung up angrily and came in just as Ali sat back down.

"Laurel, I'm sorry. I have to go deal with something. I'd love to call you later?"

Before I could make up a reason to say no, Ali was all over it.

"That would be great. Wouldn't it, Laurel?" She pushed. She wrote my number on the back of her receipt and handed it to him.

He hesitated, glancing at me before taking it. "Is it okay?" He asked, ever the gentleman.

"Yeah...it's fine. Um...I'll be home this afternoon. Or around eleven or so tonight."

He smiled. "Alright. I will definitely call."

I watched him walk away, my head tilted as I admired the view, anxious about what was waiting for me when I got to Jason's.
♠ ♠ ♠
Three chapters. Woo. Hope it's a nice intro. I really love to hear from my readers! Give me a sout!

<3 Madi