Status: New story. Not related to Girl I Know. Give it a read!

Masterpiece Theater

Shaketramp

When I got home, Jason pounced on me. His hair was sticking out in tufts and his face was scruffy. He was still wearing a t-shirt and jeans. With it being close to midnight, he should have been at his apartment.

"Where the hell were you? You were supposed to come over."

"I do have a life, Jason." I sighed, hanging my jacket and purse up on the hook. When I got a good look at his face, I went into crisis mode. "What's wrong? What are you doing here?"

"Janine broke up with me."

I walked over to him and reached out to stroke his hair. "I'm sorry."

He collapsed into me, immediately beginning the dramatic crying. I could tell he was high on something. The only thing I could do was sit down and cradle his head in my lap.

"She said that I would never be who she wanted and it would be better if I just left."

I let my brother whine and blubber, stroking his hair and staying silent.

We were twins and when our parents divorced, I moved with our dad and he stayed with our mom.

It was a couple years before my dad found out that my mom pretty much abandoned Jason to go gallivanting across the world with her next three husbands. And we only found out because a neighbor called child services after stepping in to keep him from getting arrested for shoplifting a loaf of bread and peanut butter. It was messy and he wound up in the foster system for six months before he was released into my dad's custody.

As a result, Jason became extremely codependent, needing my constant presence and care. I was the one who could keep him sober and even I didn't do a good job. Moving back from Chicago didn't help. He immediately found a girlfriend, but apparently she couldn't deal.

I couldn't really blame her. He was a lot to handle.

We ended up falling asleep on the couch, me in an awkward position, him in my lap.

I woke up with a kink in my neck and he was screaming at me for abandoning him so I could have sex, because why else would I have a hickey?

As many times as I denied it, he didn't want to listen. I couldn't stand to argue with him anymore, so I called Brian to cut things off.

How in the hell would he understand? And if he did, how would he ever be okay with my brother's constant need for attention?

I knew going to Brian's had been a bad idea, but Ali had cancelled on me for some guy and Jason was supposed to have been on a date with Janine. I didn't have anything better to do.

Big mistake.

By the time I had to go to work, Jason had calmed down and sobered up and said he was going to a poetry slam night at some obscure coffee house. I couldn't bother to figure out if it was the truth or if he was looking for drugs. I was just glad to have him out of my hair.

"Don't you look bright-eyed and bushy-tailed." My co-worker, Danny, commented when I clocked in.

"Bite me." I snapped.

He stood behind me and leaned in close to my ear. "Anytime, sweetheart. Just tell me when and where."

He was gone before I could come up with a retort and we skillfully avoided each other all night.

At the end of shift, after I'd already had two trays of food spilled on me because the other new waitress didn't know what she was doing and after I'd been yelled at by three different self-entitled people who talked their way into free meals by my manager and only getting lousy tips, Danny approached me again.

"You seem like you could use a good working out." He was waiting for me by my car. I needed to get home and he was in my way.

"Thanks for the offer, but I'm good."

"Have you ever done it?"

"Yes, Danny, I am quite knowledgeable in the ways of sex. Thank you. Now move." I pushed him out of the way of my door.

"I mean," he whispered, moving around me to pull me close to him. "The friends with benefits thing. Just sex. No strings."

"There are always strings, Danny."

"Not with me. Come on. One night. If you're not satisfied, we can leave it at that and never bring it up again."

I huffed. I was hot and gross and just wanted a shower and to actually sleep in my bed. I missed Brian. I wanted to keep seeing him.

But a relationship right now wasn't an option.

Sex, though? Sex I could do.

I let Danny ride with me back to my place. I knew he didn't have a car. He walked almost everywhere, or took a taxi. He'd find his own way home after we were through.

"Jason?" I called when we got inside my apartment. It was after one in the morning. He should have been here.

I called him and he didn't answer, which immediately sent me into panic mode.

Danny didn't let me worry too long. He led me into my room and pinned me to my bed as soon as I set my stuff down. He was needy and demanding and rough.

And although I tried, I couldn't get Brian off my mind. It was him I wanted to be with, but the way he made me feel, I couldn't be with him. It was too much to take on right now.

Two hours later, I was lying in bed, elated and spent, smoking a much needed cigarette, feeling worse for the wear.

"You okay?" Danny asked with a chuckle. He hiked his pants up and fastened his belt.

"I...am great." I breathed, and I was. Despite all his other faults and annoyances, he'd done a really good job.

"Laurel!" I heard my brother call out. I groaned and rolled my eyes, sitting up.

"Boyfriend?"

"Brother."

"Who's the hickey from?"

"Laurel, I need you!" He started banging on my door. I couldn't ignore him.

"No one. Do me a favor, climb out the window."

"No one must have left a pretty good impression for you to be distracted while I did some of my best work." He was laughing at me. He pulled his shirt over his head and my brother banged on my door again.

"Why am I climbing out the window?" He asked, already halfway out.

"Oh, if I had the time." I muttered. "Just go. I'll see you later."

Five minutes later, I opened my door, extremely annoyed after what was supposed to be a relaxing end to my night.

"What is so urgent, Jason?" I growled. He followed me into the kitchen, elated, while I smoked a cigarette and started coffee.

"What the hell were you doing in there?"

"Seriously?"

"You hiding a boy or something?"

"Jason!" I snapped, slamming down my coffee mug.

"Touchy touchy. Must not have been very good."

I growled. He backed off.

"I met someone at the coffee house." He hopped onto the counter, taking my mug and pouring himself some coffee. Not that he needed anymore. He was completely wired.

"Good for you."

I loved my brother, and I wanted to support him, but I really couldn't care any less than I did in my sleep deprived state. Still, I knew he needed to get it out of his system, so I fixed my own cup of coffee and sat down at my small plastic card table and listened to him gush about his new male fling, all the while, not daring to mention mine, or someone that could have made me happy.