‹ Prequel: Masterpiece Theater
Status: Sequel to Masterpiece Theater. Go back and read it if you haven't or you will be lost.

Sound Effects and Overdramatics

The Grey

I loaded all my stuff into my bag with a sigh, pulling the zipper tight. As I slung it over my shoulder, I got a glimpse of myself in the lighted mirror, and I was not impressed. Tendrils of curly hair plastered itself to my face with sweat. What little makeup I had decided to put on had dribbled off. There were smudges of makeup all over my black shirt and I had chipped a nail.

I began taking pins out of my hair, holding them in my mouth while I undid the complicated up-do I had been practicing on myself for two weeks. My wine-red hair tumbled down past my shoulders and before I did anything else, I started brushing out the curls.

Other than the trimming of my dead ends, I hadn't had a proper hair cut in two years. I kept up my color, preferring the red to my natural brown, but the curls were out of control. Everyone loved them though, and having long hair made for better practice of new styles. It was the longest it had been in a long time.

Mass of tangles tamed for the time being, I set the brush back on the table and took my shirt off. All the models and clients had already left for the day. The only ones left were the late-night workers. I wasn’t worried about anyone looking at something they shouldn’t.

I stretched, watching my reflection. The scar on my shoulder was prominent and warped. It had taken too long for Finn to get me to a hospital and the healing process wasn’t as simple and clean as it should have been. Whenever I was asked about it, I only said that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Most people didn’t ask anymore questions. The ones who did never got answers.

I couldn't tell them the truth. I couldn't tell anyone the truth.

Thinking about my scar brought up other memories, all more painful than getting shot by my ex-husband. With a huff, I put my shirt back on and then my red leather jacket. It was the only thing I had left of that time. I refused to part with it.

That, and my bracelet, serving as a cold reminder of not just what I lost, but what I could never have.

“Beth, you comin’?” Sarah, my friend and coworker asked, doing her job of fetching the girl who never went out and never partied. “We’re all goin’ to the Arms. Come with us, have a drink.”

“I wish I could, but-”

“You Americans are always full of excuses. None of that. You’re comin’ and you’re gonna have fun, got it?”

It was hard to argue with her sometimes. The Brits were more stubborn than my brother. Reluctantly, I nodded and gave her a smile after a second.

“Do I get to change first?”

“You look great. Really. Don’t worry about it. Come on.” She looped my arm through hers and led me out of the studio. Sleet pelted us as she raced us towards her car. Even in heels, she was faster than me.

Once on the street, she lit a joint and began honking at other drivers, trying to take over the road. I just sat back and kept my mouth shut. She drove worse than I did.

A few people from the studio had already commandeered tables by the time we reached the Southampton Arms, one of the best pubs around. While Sarah went to the table, I took a seat at the bar, handing my jacket and purse over to be stowed for safekeeping.

"Vodka tonic please." I ordered. Sarah waved me over, but before I could stand up and join them, someone came up behind me and wrapped their arms around my waist, locking his fingers across my stomach.

I smiled, recognizing the tattoos curling up the arms, and put my hands on top of his. As he nuzzled my neck, I turned my head to kiss his cheek.

"You smell like hairspray and perfume." He informed me.

"Perks of my job. I thought you were gone until tomorrow."

Kai took a seat on the stool next to me, ordered a beer, and shifted so that he was facing me. "Sorry to disappoint, love. Wanted to make it back before the snow hit."

"Or Christian is sick of you."

"That is a possibility, yeah." Dimples pierced his face when he smiled and his golden eyes twinkled with mischief. His tawny skin glowed in the light, making him more bronze statue than actual human being.

Kai was one of Christian's oldest friends. They survived high school and college together. While Christian decided to be a model, Kai decided to go on a backpacking tour of Europe and never went back. At least, not to live. He was Christian's best man at the wedding and helped me find my footing when I moved to London.

He'd been gone, helping Christian do some renovations on the house he now shared with my best friend, preparing for the arrival of one baby Tate.

Sometimes we slept together, but mostly we just flirted. Both of us were too heartbroken to want a real relationship, but our friendship had been solid since day one.

"Guys, the party's this way." Sarah decided to butt in, dragging me off my stool. I barely had time to grab my drink without spilling it before she volunteered me for the next round of darts.

Kai stood behind me, hands on my hips, cheering me on. I leaned forward a little too much, ready to throw my last one and win the round, when the song switched over and I froze.

Heavy drums, swift guitar riffs. Not many people could play like that. No one could play drums like that.

My heart started pounding.

I hadn’t bothered to listen to any of their music since I left. It was better not to relive old memories. I couldn’t do that to myself if I wasn’t going to make contact with them, and I absolutely could not do that.

“Are you okay?” Kai asked, startling me out of my trance. I shook my head to clear it and gave a poor excuse of a smile.

“Yeah, I’m okay…” I muttered. He looked at me with skepticism. I tossed the dart, missed completely, and downed the rest of my drink.

"I'm gonna get some air." I told him. He put his hand on the small of my back and led me out onto the sidewalk. It was freezing, and it had started to snow. I shivered and leaned against the wall, closing my eyes against the memories.

"You okay?"

"I don't know."

"Can I help?"

I shook my head. "I just should probably go. I'm tired."

"Alright. Let's go."

He kept his arm around me as he summoned a cab and opened the door for me when it pulled up to the curb. I didn't really want to bail, but I didn't want to explain my freak-out, either.

A little ways down the road, the driver turned the volume up on the radio.

She’s a dwelling place for demons, she’s a cage for every unclean spirit, every filthy bird and makes us drink the poisoned wine to fornicate with our kings. Fallen now is Babylon the Great.

The song faded out and the announcer came back on the air. "That was the Beast and the Harlot by Avenged Sevenfold, as part of our memoriam for their drummer, the Rev, who passed away just two days ago, causes unknown. A tragedy for his family and friends as the twenty-eight year old musician was nominated for several awards this past year."

My stomach churned. Everything I heard was muffled, as if I were trapped underwater. The driver turned the volume back down and I leaned forward.

"Excuse me, what did he say?" I asked.

"Some musician is dead. It's a shame, but it happens. Probably overdosed or something. Where you headed, love?"

Kai had to give him my address. He held my hand the whole way back to my flat, but we stayed silent. My head was spinning and it wasn't from drinking.

As soon as Kai helped me out of the car, I bolted into the house, gunning straight for the toilet. He raced after me and held my hair back as I puked up the poor excuse for my lunch.

"Phone." I grumbled after I finished. He handed it over without saying anything. I hadn't even wiped my mouth or rinsed it before finding Ali's number in his contacts and dialing.

"What Kai?" She grumbled when she answered. She sounded like I had woken her up.

"It's not Kai." I answered.

"Shit, Beth. Are you okay?"

"Jimmy…" was all I managed to get out before my throat closed up. I tried to choke down a sob, but it was no use.

"I should have called you. I thought you would have already heard. I am so sorry."

"I have to come. I have to be there." I blubbered through my tears.

“Of course. Christian can have the jet ready whenever. Just say the word.”

“Okay. I’ll see you soon.”

I hung up and sat back on my heels, a million things rushing through my mind. Kai's phone went dark in my hand before I bothered to hand it back to him.

“Beth, you wanna tell me what’s going on?”

I sighed. “I have to go to California.”

“Why?”

“Um…” I started. I took a shaky breath. My hands shook in my lap. I couldn’t sit anymore. I stood up and stumbled out of the room into the entryway and started going up the stairs.

"I knew the Rev. I know all of them, actually. It's a long story, but I have to go. I have to see them." I explained. He was at my side, keeping me steady. I'd stopped crying for the moment, but I knew it wouldn't last.

In my room, I opened drawers, trying to figure out what I would need, how long I would be gone, and what the hell I was going to do once I got off the plane.

I couldn’t just show up and cause a scene. I didn’t need to disrupt anything that was going on. I really couldn’t risk anyone finding out who I actually was. It wasn’t safe.

But I had to pay my respects. I may not have known Jimmy that long, or that well, but he was the kind of friend you never forgot and who never forgot you.

I needed to be there.

So without asking anymore questions, Kai helped me pack and then packed a bag for himself, because as much as I tried to argue with him, he refused to let me make the trip alone.