‹ Prequel: Masterpiece Theater
Status: Sequel to Masterpiece Theater. Go back and read it if you haven't or you will be lost.

Sound Effects and Overdramatics

Somewhere in Neverland

Beth paced in front of me, her hands locked behind her neck. She went to one end of a row of chairs all the way down to the other end, and back again. Other passengers eyed her with annoyance.

Jason hadn't called since he let her know what happened to Ian. He hadn't been to the house, either. We didn't know who else to call, but Beth had been desperate enough to call Monica.

Monica insisted that she would find him and call back. Nine hours later, she still hadn't contacted us.

"Beth," I mumbled, reaching for her hand as she passed by me again. I had to pull on her arm to get her to sit down. "I'm sure he's just holed up with a client."

She shook her head. "We should be looking for him. Not going to Vegas."

I sighed. After everything we'd gone through to get us here, of course it had to be Jason to push us back.

I didn't blame him. Not really. With what happened to Ian, I wasn't surprised we couldn't get a hold of him. I knew Beth wanted to cancel the trip, but going anyway is what we needed to do. He'd never stand on his own if she didn't let him.

The announcement that we would be boarding soon came over the intercom. Beth got up and started pacing again and I could have sworn the other passengers groaned collectively.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. I reached for Beth's hand again and stopped her in front of me.

"What's up, Matt?"

"Jason's here. He's crashed out in the den. What the hell happened?"

I released all the tension I was holding. "Ian's new boyfriend beat him up pretty bad. He's in the hospital. Jason's pretty beaten up about it."

"Beaten up? Brian, he fucking wailed on my bag for twenty minutes straight before dropping. He's crashing."

"I know."

"How's Laurel? She can't be too thrilled that you're still going."

I glanced at her. She was chewing on her thumb, staring at a spot on the floor. I put my hand on her back and started massaging between her shoulders.

"She's not. Thanks for calling, man. I'll call when we land."

I hung up and pulled her to me. "He's at Matt's. Safest place he can be right now."

"Thank God." She breathed. She let me keep my arm around her until it was time to get on the plane.

*************

Beth circled the suite with surprise. I tipped the guy who'd brought our bags up and then held her. I buried my face in her hair and nuzzled her neck, breathing deep.

She hugged me back, leaning in close. "I love you." She murmured, needling the collar of my shirt down to kiss my chest.

I tilted her chin up so that I was staring down into her eyes. "I love you so much, Lor. I need you to know that. Matt will call if we need to come home, okay? We are here for us. We need this."

I sounded like I was begging. I didn't care. I'd been running after her for two years. We'd never actually been alone together. There were always other people around. And Jason...Jason was everywhere.

I still didn't understand how she was able to walk away from him for two years.

If Ian had been the only thing keeping him stable, then she wasn't the only one who fucked him up.

She nodded, finally letting herself go. After letting a few tears fall, she sniffled and put a smile on her face.

I could visit a hundred cities and play a hundred shows and never see a smile like hers again.

I kissed her slow and with purpose. I hoisted her up and carried her over to the king-sized bed, sitting down with her straddling my lap.

Her mouth moved from my lips to my jaw and then to my neck. As much as I wanted to delve into her, there'd be plenty of time for it later. I moved her around so that I was cradling her, my arm over her legs to keep her from sliding.

"You wanna stay in or go out?"

"I don't know, honestly."

I pressed my lips to her shoulder. "Casino's right downstairs. We can do that, or go for a swim."

"Swimming sounds good."

I pecked her lips. "Let's go then."

She slid off my lap and started digging through her suitcase. For just two days, her bag was completely full. On tour, my wardrobe case held just as much, but for a weekend trip, I didn't even fill my duffel bag halfway.

I grabbed my board shorts and stripped off my shirt. She disappeared into the bathroom. I got stuck waiting for twenty minutes, wondering what the hell she was doing.

She finally came out, her hair in an elaborate braid. Her halter top was edged on gold, a gold ring in the center flashing a good amount of cleavage. Her bottoms, likewise, were black, tied at both hips with gold strings. She also wore a sheer gold robe, loosely belted at her waist, but tight enough to stay on her shoulders, covering the knot of scar tissue.

"You're gorgeous." I told her, tugging it down so I could kiss her skin.

"So are you." She told me with a smile.

Downstairs, we were pretty much ignored. We were brought towels and drinks before being left alone.

She instantly relaxed in the water. She dove under the surface and breast-stroked to the other side and back without taking a breath. When she came up, she smoothed her hands over her hair, forgetting that she'd put it up.

I sipped my beer, a cigarette dangling from my fingers. The outside doors were open, and there was no one else around. No signs posted either, so I didn't see the harm. Beth reached around me for her drink, planting her wet lips against mine as she did.

If she kept it up, we wouldn't make it very long before having to go back upstairs. I slid my tongue between her lips, but before I could get far, she pulled away and took my cigarette from me.

"Hey now." I reached for it but she backed away, putting it between her lips, getting the filter soggy.

I let her dance away and lit another one. She seemed happy and relaxed. I would play into her teasing as long as she wanted.

"I should get a tattoo." She commented, walking back over. She finished her screwdriver and set the glass down before circling her hands around my neck. I flicked my hair out of my eyes.

"Of what?"

"I was thinking a Deathbat."

I chuckled. "You sure that's what you want?"

"Why not? I love your music. It's how you managed to talk me into getting coffee with you."

"We'll go out and find a shop then." I agreed, smiling at her. She smiled back and finished off the cigarette she took from me. I watched her swim some more, perfectly content.

When we were perfectly pruned, she was ready to go back upstairs. We were adequately buzzed and couldn't keep our hands to ourselves as we tripped into the elevator.

While she was in the middle of producing a high quality hickey on my neck, me pressed against the elevator wall, a younger couple got on with us and decided to whisper, throwing glances our way every few seconds.

I didn't want her to stop, but if she moved, they'd get a show I was positive they didn't want.

"Babe," I whispered into her ear. She mumbled a response. "I need you to stop and turn with my arms around you. We have an audience."

She pulled her mouth away and turned and then started laughing as I pulled her against me.

"Sorry." She chuckled.

The couple, who couldn't have been more than eighteen or nineteen, smiled politely. "No problem. We were actually just wondering…you're Synyster Gates right?" The guy asked. His hair was jet black and spiked. He had a tattoo on his neck and one peeking out from his shoulder and his tongue was pierced.

The girl had lavender streaks in her blonde hair and a hoop through her nose. No visible tattoos, but her ears were gauged and she had rings on most of her fingers.

They were probably in town for a concert.

"Yeah. You guys are fans?"

"Hell yeah. Since we were kids." The guy answered, super excited, then his face fell.

"Sorry about the Rev, man. He was...an inspiration."

"That he was." I agreed quietly. "Thanks."

"Do you think we could get a picture?" The girl asked. I looked at Beth. She shrugged. The elevator dinged and we all stepped out.

The guy handed Beth his phone. They stood on either side of me against the wall. I put my arms around them and Beth took the picture.

"Thanks. I'm Dean, by the way." He held.out his hand. I shook it.

"Courtney." The girl introduced. She shook my hand and Beth's. Beth slinked her arm around my waist and handed the phone back.

"If you see us around, feel free to say hi."

"Cool deal. Thanks."

They walked away smiling and excited. Beth turned to put both her arms around me and kiss me again.

"You're a hell of a guy, Mr. Haner."

"Let me show you what kind of guy I am." I teased. I locked my mouth onto hers and picked her up, wrapping her legs around me as I walked two more doors down to our room.

We tumbled over arms and legs and into the bed.