Status: Active ♥

His Love

Cold Case

Stood outside Oliver's, Emily waited for Will and took a shaky deep breath. She didn’t know how the conversation was going to end, but it needed to happen and sooner rather than later.

“Hey,” Will greeted them as he arrived, kissing her cheek and leading her inside.

They were waiting for their food to be brought out, when Emily opened her mouth and hesitated momentarily before speaking.

“I need to talk to you about something.”

“Okay,” Will stated with a frown.

“We’ve been through a lot together and you know that I love you, but, recently, things have been... different,” Emily said as tears formed in her eyes, deciding to just be honest with him, “I know that you’re in love with Natalie.”

“Em... I...”

“It’s okay, Will, I think deep down we both knew that we were with the wrong person,” Emily told him with a sad smile, “Maybe now, we can find our true paths...”

“I really do love you.”

“I know, you’re just not in love with me.”

It was late by the time she finally got home and collapsed on the bed, staring at the ceiling.

***

Two weeks passed and the murder case grew colder, each new lead ending in yet another dead end. Sat in the passenger seat of Jay’s truck after another pointless trip, Emily sighed and glanced over as her partner spoke.

“I think it’s time to lay this case to rest.”

“Yeah, I just hate that it’s unsolved.”

“Same,” Jay said as he started the engine, “We can’t always win... how about we grab some lunch, my treat?”

With a nod, Emily settled back in her seat and stared out the window. She knew that they couldn’t always bring justice to those who deserved it, but this case was different and she felt like a failure. They had been sitting in the diner for nearly an hour, when Will walked in with Natalie and smiled as he spotted his brother.

“Hey guys,” Will greeted, “Lunch break?”

“Grabbing it while we can,” Jay replied, “Day off?”

“Two days actually,” Will stated, wrapping his arm around Natalie, “I was planning on calling you later today, I thought maybe we could all go out and get drinks tonight at Molly's.”

“Depends on how late we finish, but I’m in,” Jay agreed with a nod, glancing over at Emily, “Em?”

“I have some stuff to do at the apartment, but I’ll try...”

“Awesome,” Will added with a smile, “Hopefully we’ll see you later.”

Emily nodded and offered a smile as Natalia waved goodbye, returning her attention to her food. It was six o’clock when Voight told them to go home and Emily drove back to her apartment, just wanting to hide from the world.

She was halfway through putting her new bookcase together, when someone knocked on Emily’s door and she opened it to find Jay standing on her doorstep. Without a word, he held up a bag that she assumed held food and walked in as she stepped aside.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Reading ♥