Status: Active ♥

His Love

Framed

Despite everything, life went on and the next case was just around the corner. With her notepad in hand, Emily listened as their witness spoke and scribbled down a few things.

“Did you actually see Mr. Peterson with the gun?” Jay asked.

“Well, no... but it’s obvious that it was him.”

“Let me get this straight, you’ve never once heard your neighbors argue or raise their voices, you see both parents take the son out together and you never saw Mr. Peterson last night or actually see him with the gun,” Emily added with a frown, “So, you didn’t really witness anything then.”

“You do understand that giving us force information is against the law, right?” Jay inquired.

“Something needs to be done about people like him,” the woman mumbled, shaking her head and slamming the door in their faces.

They were used to people not talking to them, but usually, it was because they were scared of the consequences and Emily couldn't help feeling bad for the woman who was just looking out for her community. People were still gathered behind the police tape, watching as the body was removed from the house and taken away.

The house was eerily quiet as they entered and Emily scanned their surroundings, analyzing the photos on the wall. It was no secret that Robert Peterson (Or dodger on the street) was affiliated with a gang known as the Devil Incarnate, but something was off and Emily didn’t believe that he was involved.

“This isn’t right,” Emily said, crouching down where the body had been found and examining the blood, “Henderson’s report said that our victim was shot at point-blank range whilst facing the door behind me, so why is there no blood splatter on any of the surfaces?”

“I... huh?” Jay replied, looking equally as puzzled, “I didn’t even think to look, let’s head back to the station and have a chat with Mr. Peterson.”

Usually, during an interrogation, whoever they were talking to would lawyer up without answering any questions and yet, Mr. Peterson answered everything. He had a reputation, but the man sitting opposite them wasn’t that person and it made her wonder.

“How long have you been out?” Emily asked.

“I paid for my freedom when Eliza told me that she was pregnant,” Robert answered without hesitation, “The thought of my baby growing up in that world scared the hell out of me, so I found myself an honest job and made the changes that I needed to make.”

“Do you know who killed that man?”

“No idea.”

“Could the Devil Incarnate be behind it?” Jay inquired, “Maybe they were worried about you talking.”

“They knew what this new life meant to me and talking would be a first-class ticket to a maximum-security prison, I wouldn’t survive a week in there.”

Emily looked at Jay and motioned toward the door, stepping out into the corridor.

“He didn’t do it,” she stated, earning a nod of agreement from Jay and sighing, “We need to find the person that is trying to frame him.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Reading x