Oh No, Aliens

Chapter Twelve

Jack felt like he was getting over the flu. A shitty time to get sick, but at least he was recovering. The fevers were less common and he slept for a good portion of the day. He tried his best to get out of bed and move around, but Hadley would quickly usher him back to the bed. She had softened up since they first started their trip, and while Jack was glad to hear her apology, he had decided that he wouldn't push it. He didn't need to reach for further validation and embarrass her in the process.

He wasn't sure where Hadley kept disappearing off to, but every time she came back she would return with food. He couldn't complain. Still, he felt bad that she was doing all the heavy lifting. Literally. He was surprised she was able to carry him in the first place.

Hershey seemed happy to have some time to roam around by himself. For a cat, he really wasn't very bothered by rapidly changing scenery. He had taken a liking to Hadley too, following her wherever she went.

After hours of lying in bed, Jack finally decided to get up and try and do a little bit of his normal routine. He was feeling okay at the moment so he might as well. He stood up and started doing a few simple stretches, stretching out his back and neck to make sure they weren't stiff from the uncomfortable bed. Hadley walked in with a plastic bag and raised a brow at him.

"I told you to stay in bed," she said.

"And I did that," he said. "I finished doing that, so now I'm doing this."

"And what is 'this'?" she asked. "Tree pose is going to help you feel better?"

"This isn't tree pose," he told her. "This is the warrior pose. This is tree pose. Which is nice, because it'll help me bring my balance back."

Hadley watched as he transitioned to the tree pose. She looked amused mostly, and mildly curious.

"Come on, do it with me," Jack said.

"No, this is definitely a you thing," she said. "I'm more of a cardio person."

"I like cardio just as much as the next guy, but this is different. Trust."

She crossed her arms over her chest, looking at him.

"If I told the kid version of you that one day you'd be a yoga buff, what would happen?" she asked.

"I'd have punched you for suggesting I do 'bitch things'," he admitted. "You know why I can openly admit that? Because I'm at peace with myself. Through meditation and yoga. And years of therapy. And Zoloft."

She shook her head and sighed, but was smiling. Finally, she moved the chair to the side so there would be room for the both of them. Jack grinned triumphantly.

"Close your eyes," he instructed. "Just focus on your breathing and try and find your standing point of balance for now. Then do some shoulder rolls and neck rolls to warm up a bit."

She did as he asked which surprised him.

"Okay, now get on you hands and knees-"

"What?"

"It's yoga. Chill. Get on all fours, then lift your hips to downward facing dog."

She kept glancing to the side at him to mirror his movements.

"This isn't good for your wrist," she noted.

"Probably not," he agreed. "Walk it out into a plank. Go down, push back up. Then try and lift one hand towards the ceiling into a side plank."

It didn't take much before Jack's wrist finally gave out and he fell on the ground with a grunt. Hadley came down a lot more gracefully, with a smug look on her face.

"Oh, tired already?" she asked.

"You just wait until this wrist heals," he warned. "You better nama-stay in your damn lane."

She helped him up and back into bed, which was perfect timing for the spins that came a moment later. He dropped back onto the pillows as she picked up the bag she had initially walked in with. She turned it over and dumped the contents on the bed. The bag had a load of candy in it of every kind, from licorice to fruit sours to Hershey's namesake. Jack's brows shot up in surprise.

"What's all this?" he asked.

"There was a vending machine outside with the glass totally shattered," she said. "I helped myself."

"Is that stealing?" he asked, opening a pack of M&Ms.

"Jack, you stole a car from your boss and left it on the highway," she reminded him.

"Touche," he said. "Well, there's nothing like Twizzlers and a good movie. What do you think?"

"I found some DVDs in the cupboard," she said. "What do you want to watch?"

"What do you want to watch?" he asked.

"I was going to go down and look for some supplies we could take with us in case of another attack."

Jack moved the candy to the side, patting a spot on the bed next to him.

"We can worry about it later," he said. "I thought we were friends now."

"Friends might be an overstatement."

He just widened his eyes and pouted until she scowled and rolled her eyes.

"Fine. But don't tell a soul."

"Who would I tell?"

She put on some random Jim Carrey movie and sat next to Jack. She kept enough room for Jesus between them, but nibbled on the candy while they watched the movie. It was easy to get distracted, and every now and then one of them would make a comment or observation and both of them would start laughing. Honestly, it felt nice. Maybe she would walk away from him the second she got home, but at least he had a pleasant moment between them to think back on.

At some point she had gone silent again, and Jack didn't notice until he felt her weight on him. He looked over and found she had fallen asleep on his shoulder. He hated to wake her up with how peaceful she looked, but he also knew she'd be embarrassed to wake up like that. He slowly adjusted himself to lay her down on the bed and pulled the covers over her. Thankfully, she settled just fine without waking up. He didn't mind sleeping in the armchair this time around.