Oh No, Aliens

Chapter Fifteen

Hadley drove so fast when they left the diner that the scenery became a blur and Jack kind of scrunched down in his seat looking pale.

“I don’t think I’ve ever actually gotten car sick before,” he said. “But this might do it.”

“Sorry,” Hadley said, slowing down about half a mile an hour. “I’m just...that waitress at the diner said those prowler things are attacking small towns and I need to get home to make sure my family is okay.”

“No, I get it. It’s fine. Ride like the wind.”

“If you need to puke I’ll pull over.”

“It’s okay, I can just swallow it.”

Hadley rolled her eyes and kept her foot on the gas. She pushed the old truck about as fast as it could possibly go until she finally saw the sign for Fairlee. She slowed as she rolled into town, even though they didn’t see anyone out and about. Her heart was pounding as she drove out of town and turned down the road that led to the farm.

She almost started crying with relief when she saw the sprawling ranch house, and several of her sibling’s cars parked out front. It looked like almost everyone was there, but she prayed she wasn’t about to find another eerily empty house or signs of alien prowlers.

The front door opened as she climbed out of the truck, one of her younger brothers poking his head out suspiciously. Then he spotted her and broke into a grin.

“It’s Hadley!” he yelled over his shoulder. “Hadley’s home!”

There was a veritable stampede of Parker’s as everyone started pushing out through the door at the same time, Daniel leading the charge. Hadley took off at a run up the drive, tears spilling over her face.

“Daddy!” She leaped into his arms, and he lifted her a foot off the ground in one of his signature bear hugs. Everyone was talking all at once, and Hadley was practically knocked to the ground with the force of everyone trying to hug her. She laughed, her six nieces and nephews crowding around her legs.

“Come on, let the girl breathe,” one of her sisters laughed. “She’s going to have made it all this way just for us to crush her.”

Hadley scooped up her youngest niece and planted a kiss on her cheek before ruffling her younger brothers’ hair. “Did you two grow while I was gone?” she asked teasingly.

“They has to grow to fit in all that worry they felt about their sister,” Jo said, smiling and dabbing at her eyes.

“Mom,” the boys groaned in unison. Hadley set her niece down and noticed Jack hovering next to the truck, looking awkward. She walked over and grabbed his arm, towing him up to her family.

“Jack, this is my Daddy and Mama, Daniel and Jo. That’s my oldest brother, Clay, and his wife Mora. These two lanky jerks are my twin brothers, Connor and Jesse. They’re sixteen so they know everything. These are my sisters Mary Beth and Kristin, and their husbands, and all their kids. The only one missing right now is my brother Tommy. He’s in the military. Everyone, this is Jack.”

“Um...hello,” Jack said, looking overwhelmed.

“So, you took care of my Hadley out there on the road, is that it?” Daniel asked.

“Well in fairness, she took care of me too. Sir.”

“Oh, you’re both hurt,” Jo said, gently fussing with the bruise that had bloomed on Hadley’s forehead and noticing Jack’s bandaged arm.

“Jack fended off one of the prowlers, and the people who gave me the bruise,” Hadley said. Jack’s ears went red.

“That’s not exactly true,” he said. “The prowler tried to rip my arm off and Hadley tased it.”

Daniel guffawed. “That’s my girl.”

“He still fought off some guys who tried to attack us on the road,” Hadley insisted. Jo hugged Jack, which seemed to startle him.

“Thank you for helping her come home,” she sniffled. Daniel nodded, clapping him on the shoulder so hard that Jack almost went sprawling across the ground.

“Parker’s look out for each other, son, so if you and Hadley had each other’s backs out there then consider this a welcome home until this mess is all over.”

“You two must be famished. I was just finishing up some fried chicken and biscuits for dinner.”

“Mom you are a true blessing,” Hadley said. She and Jack collected their things and she showed him to a room in the house.

“Your house is huge,” Jack said.

“Our family has owned this house for four generations, and each new generation adds a bit to it. My parents had seven kids, they needed plenty of room. Since all the old married couples are sharing rooms, this guest room happens to be free. My room is across the hall.”

“I don’t have to stay here, you know. I don’t want to impose.”

“You heard my dad. This is home for you too right now, so put your bag down and come eat fried chicken.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

Hershey trotted down the stairs after them, sniffing around the dinner table with interest. The little kids seemed enamored with him and snuck him pieces of chicken under the table. After dinner Jack tried to help clear the plates and Jo shooed him out, insisting he and Hadley needed to rest. She found him sitting on the porch, watching the sun go down over the field.

“I know it’s kind of chaotic in there,” Hadley said, sitting beside him.

“Yeah, but it’s a nice chaos.“

“I hope you know that my mom is going to insist that you call every Sunday and will ask if you’re eating. For the rest of your life. I’m not kidding.”

Jack laughed. “She’s cool.”

Clay stuck his head out then. “Hey Hadley, Dad broke out the guitar. We’re gonna von Trapp it up girl, get in here.”

“Okay, I’ll be there in a minute,” Hadley said. Jack gave her a questioning look.

“It’s kind of a tradition. Dad and the boys play guitar and I sing a concert’s worth of country music. Come on.” She pulled him to his feet.

“Hey, Jack?”

“Yeah?”

Hadley realized she didn’t actually know what she wanted to say. She shook her head, lifting up on her tiptoes to kiss his cheek before leading him back into the house.

“Thanks,” she said.