Dreams & Rambles

Float

I hung low strapped in to my rock climbing harness. My toes barely touched the glossy compact sand as I dangled just inside the mouth of the cave. My parents and my fiancee hanging above me. They where climbing the cliff face above the caves top. Stalactites jutted out from the ceiling gently off to the left but the floor was smooth and slightly soft.

Moments ago it felt like I was climbing the face of a round building from the frame inside the windows of the building. With a blink of the eye I found myself here. I looked up for my anchor as my fiancee moved farther out of sight. I grew frustrated with how quickly they kept moving ahead and I was still behind.

Part of me wanted to admire the scene. Another part of me felt rushed. The rush felt like improper preparation and I felt like we should take caution in this dangerous situation. I kept quiet though. I saw my anchor a balloon floating with a rock tied to it. I grabbed the balloon and tossed it higher aiming towards my fiancee. If only I could land a good throw I could get a farther anchor.

I found myself extremely frustrated clutching the sloping face of the cliff. I clung on for dear life as my safety balloon was no longer anchored. I managed a good toss and with huffs and puffs caught up to my fiancee. He said something meant to be problem solving but since it didn't solve my problem it just annoyed me. It was as if he could not see how great my efforts had been.

Suddenly we found ourselves atop the cliff. I have no idea where my parents went but it's as if they weren't there in the first place. I gaze over the new horizon and find a waterfall flowing down the opposite side of the cliff. There is a raft tied to a rock floating continuously on the top of the falls. No raft rider in sight. This concerned me slightly as I looked over the edge. How did the raft get here? Who did it? Where are they?

Time seemed to shift and I felt younger my fiancee was my boyfriend again before he proposed. He was ready to jump in the raft. Ready to jump to the bottom. I was still concerned about why there is a random raft. He gave me a push and I leaped for the raft feeling like I'm riding the edge of the earth. I hope the raft doesn't pop. How do I get out of here? I'm angry and a rising fear is coming from deep in my gut slowly trying to take over.

Then I wake up