‹ Prequel: A Heart Worth Loving
Status: Active ♥

The Raven

Date

It was still dark when Layla got up the next morning, padding barefoot downstairs and making herself some coffee. Sat at the counter, she stared into her half-empty cup and sighed.

With plenty of orders to makeup and no school, she decided to start putting them together. She’d just removed the second batch of muffins from the oven, when someone knocked on the front door and she answered it to find Damon.

“It’s really early, why are you here?”

“I couldn’t sleep,” Damon joked, walking in as Layla stepped aside and removed his jacket, “I just wanted to check on you.”

“Well, I’m fine...” Layla told him, “Just really busy.”

“Do you want me to leave?”

“Actually, could you stay?”

“Of course.”

As much as she wanted to push everyone away, she felt better with them around and she knew that they loved her no matter what. Damon didn’t have to stick around, she’d given him plenty of chances to walk away, and yet, he’d chosen to stay.

Stood at the counter with her orders spread out in front of her, she sorted through them and started mixing the frosting for some of the smaller ones. It was nearly an hour, before Damon stood up and grabbed her hand.

“Damon, I have cupcakes to frost,” Layla told him with a glare that held absolutely no heat behind it.

“They’ll still be here when you get back,” Damon argued, “Get dressed, I’m taking you out for breakfast...”

“Like a date?”

“Yes, like a date... just go get dressed,” Damon said, rolling his eyes and chuckling as Layla rushed towards the stairs with a huge grin on her face.

Dressed in a pair of skinny jeans and an oversized hoody, Layla stared at her reflection in the mirror for a few moments before returning to where Damon was still waiting. Despite the fact that Damon’s car was parked up outside, they decided to walk and made their way into town. The Mystic Grill was pretty empty and they ordered at the counter, before taking a seat.

“Hey Damon,” Layla stated, waiting for him to look up and continuing, “I’m sorry for how I’ve been since everything happened with my mom, I know that you’ve been worried about me and I pushed you away.”

“You really don’t need to apologize,” Damon replied, taking her hand in his and smiling as she entwined their fingers.

Matt soon brought over Layla’s breakfast and she offered him a smile in thanks, pouring the syrup over her strawberry-topped waffles.

“Are you sure that you wanted waffles with that syrup?” Matt teased, earning a glare from Layla and backing away with his hands up in surrender.

Movement by the door soon caught her attention and she looked over to find a man watching her, but, the weirdest part was that something about him was familiar.
♠ ♠ ♠
Damon shows his softer side. Happy Reading ♥