‹ Prequel: A Heart Worth Loving
Status: Active ♥

The Raven

Plans

Days passed, but they all seemed to blur together and Layla had lost track. Sat in the Grill, she pushed the food that she’d ordered around the plate and looked up as someone took a seat opposite her.

“You’re supposed to eat that,” Stefan commented after a short silence.

“I’m not all that hungry,” Layla replied quietly, “Too much going on in my head.”

“Anything I can help with?”

“Not unless you want to spend your time helping to plan a funeral.”

“I don’t mind helping,” Stefan told her, “When is your dad getting into town?”

“He’s not... work is really busy for him right now, so he sent me some money instead.”

Anger spread over Stefan’s features and he shook his head, reaching across the table to take her hand. She was angry at her dad and she’d be lying if she said that she understood, but it was nothing new for her.

Back at the Gilbert house, Layla sat at the kitchen table and stared at the blank page in front of her. This was the first funeral that she’d ever planned and, despite not having a clue what she was doing, she would do the best she could for her gran.

“So, where did you want to start?” Stefan inquired from his position next to her.

“I don’t know... flowers maybe or music,” Layla answered with a frown, “Those things are important, right?”

They spent nearly two hours discussing ideas, before Layla started feeling overwhelmed and packed everything away. She wasn’t really in the mood for company that night, so she hid away in the guest room and got lost in the book she’d been reading.

Unsure of when she fell asleep, Layla woke up to her alarm clock and got ready for school. Stood outside the building a while later, she felt anxiety stir in her chest and looked over at Elena as she gently touched her arm.

“We’ve got this,” she promised.

***

Lunchtime finally arrived and Layla left her classroom, meeting Stefan at his locker. Everyone was sorry for her loss and people wanted to help, but what she really needed was for them to leave her alone.

“Are we still hanging out later?” Bonnie inquired as they sat out in the quad.

“I’m in,” Stefan replied with a nod, “We can do it up at the house if you want.”

“I’ll be there,” Layla agreed, “I have something to do after school, but I’ll meet you there once I’ve finished...”

The half an hour they got for lunch passed quickly and Layla took a deep breath, before heading to her next class. Lessons dragged and she slowly withdrew from the world around her, jumping slightly as the bell rang.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Reading ♥