Deceit

Cant Fight Without You

Draco lay in bed, staring up into the dark abyss of his bedroom ceiling. It was getting late and he had already missed dinner, not that it bothered him. He hadn’t been hungry lately and most of his friends had been commenting on it so he found it easier to avoid them altogether.

Funny how his method of dealing with everything lately seemed to be avoidance.

He had a certain brunette on his mind, in fact, he couldn’t shake her from his thoughts. From the way she smiled to the way she flipped her hair over her shoulder. He knew she was hiding a dreadful secret from everyone. It hurt enough knowing she was going through a hard time, but it hurt more knowing she couldn’t tell him. Usually they confided in each other when times got tough, especially since their parents were involved with the Dark Lord. They understood each other.

Draco knew he had to pursue the girl, even if just to clear his mind. He felt utterly horrible about the whole situation and had gone out his way to avoid Emerald. She would smile at him in the corridor as they crossed paths, the look on her face practically begging him to acknowledge her. Draco’s heart sunk when the realisation washed over her beautiful features, her eyes filling with tears as he about turned and ran away from her.

A soft knock at the door brought him back to reality. He shuffled up onto his elbows, groaning at the slight discomfort in his muscles.

“Hey,” she whispered, looking down at her feet. “I didn’t see you at dinner so I brought you something.”

Emerald felt awkward as she stood in Draco’s doorway, a small plate in her hands. She couldn’t bring herself to look at him, afraid that she would burst into tears at any moment. She was feeling fragile and needed someone to comfort her, and not knowing who to turn to, she sought out Draco’s company. In the end, he was the only comforter she had. The only who could even try to comprehend the way she felt.

She felt stupid coming, especially as she knew Draco had been avoiding her on purpose.

Draco couldn't help but smile as he threw a t-shirt over his head. “Sorry, I was relaxing and didn’t realise the time. You didn’t have to sneak me any food, I’m not really hungry anyway.”

“I know. I just wanted to come and see you.”

She sat on the edge of the bed, her lip quivering as she played with the ring on her finger. He wanted nothing more to take her into his arms and tell her everything was going to be okay, but Draco was afraid. In fact he was terrified of what this tiny girl was about to tell him. His heart thumped in his chest as she brought her eyes up to face him for the first time that night. He could tell from her bloodshot eyes that she had been crying for a long time.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, taking her small hand in his. “I cant take this, please tell me.”

It was now or never, she had to either tell him or keep him in the dark forever. She knew it was dangerous to lumber him with such information but she couldn’t help it, her dad had officially thrown her to the lions and she needed help.

“I like you, I really like you.” she had just lied through her teeth to her best friend.

That hadn’t been why she’d come to Draco, however her feelings were true. She watched as Draco processed the information, his eyes never leaving hers. She could feel his stare boring down into her soul, as if he was searching for any lie in her statement.

Draco on the other hand felt like he’d just been knocked off his broom. That was the last thing he could’ve expected her to say, he had no inclination that she liked him. His heart was beating wildly in his chest as leaned forward, pressing his lips down onto hers.

Emerald would’ve smiled at his kiss in another life, if things could be true. She had just endangered Draco by her actions and dragging him into her problems.