Monsters

Monsters

His boisterous laugh made me cringe. The cackle was infectious and to my dismay, the corners of my mouth began to curl into a smirk. He looked at me and winked, still smiling like a fool. I turned away, my face instantly red. I didn’t want dinner to end. It was the one time I felt safe, but the events of the night had already begun to make their appearance. He finished his drink and went to watch the game by himself in the other room. Mom stared at me. Her eyes were telling me to go to my room without a word. I did as instructed; hoping tonight wouldn’t be like every other night.

Nighttime is supposed to be a time for rest. A time for sleeping away the thoughts of the day, and moving onto the next. But for people like me, nighttime is when the monsters appear.
They are everywhere. I can hear them scurrying around the toy chest, trying to open the lid. They scrape against my dance trophies on my dresser causing one to fall over. I quietly walk over and put it back in place as quickly as I can. I trot back to my purple bedroom door and hesitantly reach for the light switch. I look back, trying to remember the path I take each night. It’s all muscle memory but I still feel as if I am unprepared for the trek. I swallow unconsciously and flick my finger over top the light switch and the overhead light disappears. As I do, I can see the shadows of the creature crawling up the wall, trying to claw its way out of the crevasse under the bed.

The weight of it makes the floor creak and quiver in despair. I quickly turn to face the beast that lurks in the dark. It’s eyes gleam in the unknown causing a feeling of panic to run down my spine. The floor is clean and pristine so that my run won’t be interrupted. My soft, furry blanket calls out to me from my bed, signaling that it is my one safe haven. The only way to save myself from this treacherous monster is to make it under the shield of my blankets before it was too late. I take a deep breath, swallow my fear, and begin the nightly race to my bed.

When I take a step, the creature begins to crawl out from its cave. Two steps, and the beasts menacing eyes meet mine and show nothing but pure malice. His face seems to melt off on one side, exposing the bloody bone underneath. Three steps toward the bed, and it is almost out, ready to claim the prey that has avoided it for so many nights. The thing opens its demonic mouth, uncovering the mangled, gory mess underneath. The edges of its face turn upwards and I can’t help but look at the hypnotic sneer. One more step and I will be done for. I take a leap of faith towards safety. The monster reaches up with its long, slimy hand, missing me by only mere inches. I safely land and squirm underneath the blankets. The monster slithers up to where I sit shielded. His stench makes me want to vomit but I dare not move. The hand that almost brought my end glides over the blanket. My breath quickens more than before and the monster stops and hovers over my small head. I silently let a tear roll down my cheek. A minute passes but it feels like hours, both of us waiting for the other to make a move. Eventually the creature accepts that he will not be feeding tonight. It crawls back under the bed, waiting for the next sunset to get a chance at its prey.

The door is no longer purple like it was years ago. When I had a preteen crisis, we painted over the stained color. Now it was just a normal brown, with a hint of the purple coming through. I shut the door behind me and turn off the lights without any hesitation. There are no monsters under my bed anymore. I tiptoe to it, kicking littered dirty clothes and scattered papers as I go. Mom would yell at me if she saw the state of the room. Guess it’s a good thing we keep my light off. It keeps other monsters away now.

As I lay under the covers, my mind begins to be over taken by something unworldly.
“You should have let that thing eat you. No one would miss you,” it hisses to me. I try to make it stop; I know my mom would miss me, I think to myself.
“Mom doesn’t care about you. She only cares about money. Why do you think she married that dick to begin with? Not for your sake, obviously.”
The tears spring into my eyes. I know it isn’t true, but it doesn’t mean it hurts any less. “No!” I reply, looking for its gaze. “She is doing what she can for me! She didn’t know he was like that! She just wanted to protect me!” I scream at the top of my lungs. The creature pauses for a moment and turns its head. I finally can get a good look at the beast that lives in my skull. Scaly skin covers his face, leaving no room for eyes. Its mouth begins to open and I can see the sharp, yellowed fangs in the dim light of my mind.
It laughs. “Little one, you will be nothing. Amount to nothing. And go through life alone.” The scratchy voice makes my skin begin to crawl more so than before. I stare at it a moment, taking in the blackened face. I prepare my voice to rise, how I want to scream at him.

CRASH! My thoughts of the past are interrupted. Everything is still and time has seemed to stop. I can hear Mom and him talking on the other side of the house. His voice is rising and I hear a chair shriek against the floor. I open my door slowly, not wanting to add noise to the rising cacophony.
He is screaming now and a couple of thuds can be heard. Mom is sobbing, her voice inaudible at this distance. As I crawl down the hall, I see the corner of my Mom’s face. I take a breath in, realizing tonight is going to be worse than most. She makes eye contact with me, her eyes growing in size as the purple around her face continues to form and the sticky liquid continues to fall. Drop after drop, it hits the floor, my panic growing as fast as the puddle of blood. I know I need to run and lock my door but I can’t seem to move.

“What are you looking at Maureen?” he slurs. Loud thumps echo against the floor. Mom’s eyes dart back to him and she tries to get up. But the footsteps keep getting louder and I quickly realize they are coming toward me. I sprint back to my room, not caring about how much noise I make in the process. I just need something to keep him away. “What were you doing out of your room girl!?” I hear him shriek at me. I dare not look back but grab the edge of my door and slam the door as hard as I can. I jump to my bed and grab my blanket for the illusion of safety it gives me for now and remain as quiet as possible.

I listen to Mom crying, telling him to stop. Footsteps begin coming down the hall. One… two… three… then a quick four, five and a loud thump. I hear a distorted sound and more footsteps. “Leave her alone!” Mom screams. “Don’t touch her! If you lay another hand on her I swear-.” Glass shatters everywhere and Mom’s body makes a loud thud in the hallway.
He takes another step in the hallway and I can see his shoes from underneath my stained door. At first it is silent and then he begins to knock. The first knock, I remain as still as possible. The second comes and my body begins to shake. With the third thump, I can feel the whimper finally escape my throat. I can’t hide under my blankets, or have anyway to talk myself to safety. I can feel his disgusting lust seeping into the room and the malicious grin that took away all innocence I had. I bring my knees to my chest, cowering in pure terror.

What is scarier than the monster under my bed, is the one that dwells in my head. But the one that terrifies me more, is the one that lurks outside my door.