‹ Prequel: 'Tis the Season
Status: finished

Worth the Wait

002

Steve had asked Grace to marry him the moment he was able to get down on one knee after his accident, and it had been a whirlwind since. They had decided on a very small ceremony at the newly purchased cabin, surrounded by only those that meant the most to them. They had decided to exchange their vows just as the sun started to set on the lake that was on the edge of their property.

“How are you feeling?” Natasha murmured, gently applying eyeliner to Grace’s eyelids for her.

“Excited,” Grace sighed, “Kind of like I’m going to throw up.”

“Ah, Grace, you will be fine! The most beautiful bride that I have seen yet.” Thor rumbled, threading an elegant braid through Grace’s hair. He’d been tickled pink when she’d asked him if he’d be willing to do so.

“Thanks, Thor.” Grace replied, a smile crossing her lips followed by a giggle when Natasha tutted at her for moving. She heard the bedroom door open, and then an emotional gasp,

“Oh Grace,” Noelle murmured softly, “You look stunning my dear. Steve’s going to pass out.”

“Let’s hope he doesn’t!” Grace laughed, thanking Natasha when she stepped back and let her look into the mirror, “It’s perfect, thank you.” She hugged Natasha tightly, who smiled softly at her before stepping back,

“I’m glad you think so. I’m going to go and do a final run down, make sure everything is in place. The next time I see you, you will be walking down the aisle to become Mrs. Steve Rogers.”

“I will be on my way as well,” Thor smiled warmly at her, taking his shoulders in his large hands and squeezed, “You make for a stunning bride, Grace. I shall go and check on the rest of the men and make sure nothing is needed.” Grace stepped up onto the tips of her toes and kissed Thor’s cheek in thanks.

“Well, soon to be Mrs. Rogers, let’s get you in that dress.” Noelle grinned, clapping her hands together happily as she stepped towards the dress bag hanging on the door of the armoire. “We’ve only got about twenty minutes until go time.” Noelle and Bucky were the only two standing in the wedding. Grace had been more than thankful for both of them, and everything they had done to help she and Steve get to this point.

* * * *


Grace shuffled nervously, alone for the first time since she woke at 7:00am this morning. She looked down at her bouquet, pulling her lip between her teeth, gasping when there was a knock at the door,

“Who’s it?”

“I’m here to give you your last chance to bolt. I’ve got a car around front. We can make a break for it if you’re having second thoughts.”

“Sam,” Grace breathed, her nervousness lessening. “I’m not going to run, you dork.” She opened the door and allowed him in, he held her at an arms length for a moment,

“You look beautiful.”

“Thank you.” She whispered, feeling her eyes warm with tears.

“Shall we, m’lady? I believe there’s an aisle I need to walk you down?” Sam asked her softly, offering his arm.

“It’s that time already?”

“Sure is,” He chuckled, tucking his hand against hers as she looped it through his arm, “Like I said—car out front.”

Grace laughed, leaning in to kiss him on his cheek, “Thank you, for this. For everything…” Her heart started to pound as she heard the first few notes of Etta James’ At Last. “Don’t let me fall, Sam. Please. Don’t let me trip.” Her legs had started to shake so hard that she feared she would collapse.

“I got you.” Sam muttered, squeezing her hand, as doors separating Grace from Steve were swung open.

At last my love has come along
My lonely days are over and life is like a song, oh yeah
At last the skies above are blue
My heart was wrapped up clover the night I looked at you


Her eyes found his, and everyone else melted away. Tears started brimming in her eyes, as she watched him unable to stop his own tears from falling as she made her way to him. She felt at home when her hands found his, turning to face one another to exchange their vows.

Her chest warmed as he slid her wedding set onto her finger, her hands shaking and laughter echoing when she nearly dropped his ring trying to place it on his hand.

“You may now kiss your bride.”

Her heart erupted with happiness when Steve took his face between his hands and kissed her with everything he had. Cheers echoed around them, and she stepped up onto the tips of her toes to kiss him again.

“I love you, Grace.”

“I love you, too.”

“I now present to you, Mr and Mrs. Steve Rogers!”

More cheers, and she laughed happily as Steve brought their joined hands into the air as they began walking back down the aisle together.

Sometime and many pictures later, they were wrapped up in one another, swaying softly as they shared their first dance as Husband and Wife. She giggled when Steve twirled her, bringing her back to his chest and cradling her body close to his. She tipped her head back, smiling when Steve pressed a kiss to her waiting lips.

“Are you happy with the way everything turned out?” He asked her, and she nodded,

“It was perfect, Steve. Everything is perfect.”

“Worth the wait?” Her Husband asked, blue eyes shining with love and happiness.

“Yes, without a doubt. I would go through everything again, just to have this moment with you.”