Phoenix Rises

I want to be a good man, I want to see God

I lean up against a post watching my brothers set up the netting under the trapeze swings. When I was younger, this brought excitement and joy; now it just brings sadness.

“I know Dad bought Haly’s Circus to bring it back to its former glory,” I start as I push myself up off the post. “But did we seriously have to include trapeze artists? No one is going to be able to replace The Flying Graysons.”

“We aren’t replacing them, Lo.” My brother Tony states. “But the circus won’t be the same without a trapeze act, just like it won’t be complete without you shaking your ass to dubstep shit and dancing with fire. But we aren’t replacing that just because mom died last year.”

“Well mom didn’t die in the middle of her act.” I remind them. “It’s going to be weird seeing the new people.”

“Get over it, sis.” Tony chuckles. “Plus one of the guys has the hots for you. Just like old times, huh?”

“Dick never had the hots for me.” I point out. “It was always pathetically one sided.

“You’ve got to be shitting me!” My other brother, Ford, shouts from the stands. I look up and he’s on his phone. “Did you know about this Lo?” He jumps down and strides towards me. He thrusts his phone into my face just as some kid, dressed up as Robin states the Titans are back.

“You’ve got to be shitting me.” I repeat my brother in disbelief. “After the death of Garth and Jericho, he swore he’d never go back.”

“I know I haven’t seen Dick in awhile but that’s not him.” Tony chuckles. “Who the fuck is this joker?”

“Dick’s replacement?” I shrug. “I didn’t think Batman would replace him, he actually did care a lot about him.”

“That’s hard to believe. I remember the stories. Batman was a grade A dick to you guys.” Ford states. “He didn’t like Dick hanging out with you or Dawn or Hank.”

“I think it was mostly Dawn and Hank. He didn’t mind me because I was a reminder of Dick’s past.”

“Which is why he didn’t like you around him too much.” Tony counters. “You were a reminder of what happened. You were Dick’s only long lasting link to Haly’s.”

“So what are you going to do?” Ford asks. “Are you going to rush over there and play superhero again? You said the only way you’d go back into the life is if Dick is right there with you.”

“I can’t just walk back in the Tower, not after the fight I had with Dick before I left.” I bite my lower lip. “Besides, I can’t leave you guys without your best fire dancer. I’m not going to step down from my post to make a trip to San Fran.”

“We have a few shows there in a couple months or have you forgotten?” Ford smirks. “Invite him and the new Titans to the show. Then afterwards spending time with your boy, see if anything is still there.”

“And if something is?”

“You fight for it this time.” Tony states. “You go after him…”

**

Several months later

I’ve watched from afar as Dick and the rest of the Titans have taken on Deathstroke. And I’m glad I wasn’t there, especially after hearing about Donna’s death. It was painful news, especially since I was extremely close with Donna.

I find myself standing in front of the Towers’ entrance. Part of my wants to put in my code, which I somehow still remember, but I decide against it. There is no way in hell Dick still has my code programmed. Sighing, I hit the intercom button and soon the buzzing is followed by a kid’s voice.

“Who are you and state your business?” The kid states.

“Lauren Sutton. I’m here to speak with Dick.”

“Do you have an appointment?”

“Do I need one?” I chuckle. “Dick’s not that important that he needs appointments to be made. He’s not Batman or Bruce Wayne.”

“Is he expecting you?”

“Look kid, just let me in. I’m an old friend of Dick’s.” I let out a frustrated sigh. “I even used to have a code to get into this damned building. I’m just looking to reconnect with an old friend.” I hear a sigh over the intercom but I’m quickly buzzed in. A nervous smile dances on my lips. It’s now or never.

Dick Grayson

I’m in the training room with Dawn and Hank when Gar comes rushing in. The three of us stop training and look at the panting teenager. “What’s wrong, Gar?”

“Some chick is on her way up here, says she’s an old friend of yours.” Gar states once he catches his breath. “She was adamant about coming up here.”

“Did she give a name?” Hank questions.

“Lauren Sutton.”

The three of us exchange looks. “Lo is here?” Dawn is the one to ask.

“What would Nix want with you now?” Hank asks me. “She wasn’t exactly your biggest fan after Jericho’s death.”

I’m about to open my mouth to speak but it’s not my voice that comes out…

“Maybe she wants to visit some old friends.” Lauren’s voice states. I look behind Gar and see her walking into the room; her hips sway with each step. “I see you brought back the Titans. Never thought in a million years that would ever happen.”

“Has hell frozen over?” I question her with a smirk. “Because you said it’ll be a cold day in hell the day you walk back into my life.”

“I also said that about joining the circus again.” A chuckle escapes her lips. “But I’m back doing my fire dance once more.”

“You joined another circus?”

“My mom’s life insurance policy was enough money that my dad turned her tragic accident into a way for him to bring back Haly’s Circus.” She replies, sadly. “That’s one of the reasons why I’m here. I wanted to cordially invite you guys to the opening night here.”

“Haly’s Circus isn’t that…” Gar starts but stops when he looks at me.

“I told you I was an old friend.” Lauren smiles. “Dick and I go way, way back.”

“Can we go?” Gar asks, looking at me. “Rachel is due to come back soon and this’ll be a nice way to welcome her back.”

“I don’t know, Gar.” Dawn starts. “This might bring up a lot of memories for Dick.”

“If you don’t want to come, I don’t blame you.” Lauren states, looking right at me. “Our first opening night was hard on me too. It was so weird seeing another family on the trapeze.”

“They couldn’t leave out the trapeze?” Hank scoffs.

“Father said it would incomplete the circus.” Lauren sighs. “Anyway, that’s why I’m here. To invite you. I’ll leave your name at the door, you are more than welcome to invite whoever you want. Gates open at 6pm” Lauren smiles before walking out the room.

“We’re going right?” Gar asks. “She didn’t have to come down here but she did. It would be rude to not go.”

“It’s up to Dick.” Dawn states. “These are his demons we are about to face.”

I bite my lower lip in thought. I’m suddenly tossed into every memory I have ever shared with Lauren. And Gar is right, it would be rude to not go after she personally invited us. “Yea, we’re going…”
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter title credit: Good Man by Devour the Day.

comment&subscribe? I'll do a layout later.