Nerdy and the Beast

Chapter Twenty-Five

Within a month, everyone had found their place within the museum. Laure and Duncan usually handled the front desk while Harry was promoted to Emma's personal assistant. Liam helped her keep an eye on things around the museum, and when the occasional donor or investor came by he was the one who did the talking. He was much more of a "people's person" than she was. She didn't mind, of course. She didn't need to be the center of attention, nor did she want to. She just wanted to be with him.

They were from broken families scattered in the wind, but destiny had brought them together and this new family was more than Emma ever could have wanted. She grew fond of Laure quickly and the two often had outings together to go shopping or to get their hair done. With the money he acquired and his pay from the job at the museum, Liam spoiled Emma more than she expected. He had practically flipped her closet inside out and replaced her beige and brown clothes with bright colors and fashionable styles. She was shy, but he insisted that she needed to dress as the bright scholar she was.

The Cantaciran artifacts had truly revived the museum, and suddenly there were massive crowds lining up to buy tickets. Liam and Laure helped give the tours, and half the crowds would come just to see the little monkey that lived in the museum with them. After everything that happened, things were finally at ease.

Emma had kept one of the artifacts to herself, admiring the amulet in her office. She could have put it on display with the others, but this one was special to her. Liam had nearly lost his life so she could have it. She heard a knock at the door and turned to see Liam poking his head in.

"Permission to enter, Madame Curator?" he asked.

"Permission granted."

He closed the door behind him as he walked in and swept her into a kiss.

"They're closing up out there, but Harry and Laure have it covered," he said. "I decided it was a good time to see my lady, since she's been busy all day."

"Paperwork," she sighed. "When I became a curator and manager, I underestimated the amount of paperwork there would be. Speaking of..."

She moved to her desk and pulled out some papers, setting them down with a bright grin.

"I have your official contracts of employment ready, finally," she said. "I just need a signature, and you'll officially be my Head of Research."

She had offered Liam the promoted role early on because of his interest in adventuring to new places and finding lost civilizations, but he hadn't seemed to believe her until the paperwork was in front of him.

"You're sure you want to do this?" he said.

"After what you and I went through, you're the only person I would trust on another expedition like that," she said. "Preferably with a more suitable crew, next time. It'll be great."

"Do I need to read the contract, or can I trust your judgement."

"Well, you'll be signing the rest of your life to me," she said with a pout. "And you can't ever leave me. Clause 14. Fine print."

"Is that so?" he chuckled, sitting down. "Don't need a contract for that, I assure you."

He pulled a pen out of his shirt pocket and she realized it was the one she had gifted him back when he had helped her during the storm.

"You still have it," she said softly.

"The pen?" he said, looking down. "Of course I do. It's one of the most treasured items I own."

"It's just a pen."

"It's a heartfelt gift from a woman I love."

He signed the papers, then stood up and tapped her on the nose with his pen. She giggled and kissed him again, but the door opened again and interrupted them. Duncan blushed and hid behind the door awkwardly, unsure if he should stay or go.

"We're busy," Liam told him.

"Oh, stop it," Emma scolded. "What is it, Duncan?"

"There's a man in a top hat at the door," he said. "He has some kind of proposal about some lost city called... uh... Avar-ee-ohl?"

"Avryol," Emma and Liam said at the same time.

"Sure," Duncan shrugged. "Anyways, he's waiting."

Emma looked at Liam with an excited grin. "Well, you're our new Head of Research. Ready to get to work?"

"Born ready."