Space Cadets

sixteen

There was something bittersweet about Colin and Eliza’s last day on Corran. On one hand, it seemed like with rest and medication, Josef was on the mend. He was no longer wheezing when trying to breathe, and a bit of color had returned to his face. On the other hand, Colin hated to leave his family on such wobbly ground. While the money he sent over had clearly gotten them some more food and some repairs to the house, it wasn’t enough. Thalia only had about five hours of rest between work to eat, sleep, and wash, and it was starting to take a toll on her. Becca was miraculously juggling her schoolwork and housework, but Colin worried about whether she’d break with her final exams coming up. George was still too young to understand, but Colin hated to think his brother would have to grow up as fast as he and Becca did. There was still a chance that one of them could have a real childhood.

While George and Becca were at school and Josef was asleep, Eliza had started packing up their things. When Colin walked by the room, he saw that she was even carefully folding his shirts. He didn’t say anything at first, just leaning in the doorway and watching her. It was weird to see her so comfortable in his tiny, pathetic house, but at the same time it seemed like she was happier here than at any formal event he was forced to drag her to. She paused by Colin’s dresser, picking up a chain sitting there and examining the pendant. It was a simple silver dagger with a ring around it.

“Do you know what that is?” Colin asked.

She jumped, startled when she realized Colin was there. She quickly set the pendant back down.

“I was just packing, I wasn’t snooping,” she said quickly.

“You didn’t have to pack my things,” Colin said. “I could’ve done it myself. It’s nice of you, though.”

“It was just there and convenient, that’s all,” she said, glancing at the pendant again. “So… what is it?”

“We call them Sigils,” he explained. “They’re popular on Corran. Not that it has any magic powers or anything. It’s more like a good luck charm. My mother got me this one when I was first accepted to the police academy. It’s supposed to represent strength and grace under pressure. The dagger is strength, and the ring is supposed to be the ‘boulder’ on our shoulders that causes pressure.”

“Why don’t you wear it?” she asked.

“We’re not allowed to wear anything out of uniform, not even wedding bands,” he shrugged.

“That’s a shame, it’s cool.”

“Do you want it?”

Eliza was surprised at the offer, almost disbelieving. She picked up the pendant again, looking at it up close.

“Really?” she questioned.

“Sure,” Colin said.

He took the pendant from her and moved around her to put it around her neck. When he brushed her hair to the side to close the clasp, his fingers briefly touched her neck and he felt her tense up. He cleared his throat awkwardly, taking a step back and muttering a quiet apology. She turned around to look at herself in the mirror and toyed with the pendant. It was a little long on her, but at least she could hide it in her shirt.

“It’s not fashionable and glamorous,” Colin said, “But I figured you could add it to your collection of souvenirs from your travel. A little trinket from your visit to dirty, dinky Corran. And a thank you for packing my stuff.”

“Thanks,” she said with a half grin. “Don’t thank me for packing. I’m just stuffing your clothes into a trash bag so I can burn it later.”

“Of course,” Colin chuckled.

There was some rustling in the other room, and Colin knew it meant his father was waking up. Eliza started towards the door, but he held up a hand.

“I’ll take care of it this time,” he said. “I just want to talk to him for a minute.”

She gave him a nod in understanding. He knew that she seemed worried for Josef too, despite only knowing him for a few days. Colin didn’t blame her. Josef was a likable man. He was loud and sometimes a bit crude, but he cared deeply for everyone. Colin hated to see him the way he was, struggling to sit up in bed and reach for the glass of water on his side table while he coughed hoarsely. Colin helped him sit up and handed him the glass.

“Ah, thanks kid,” Josef grunted, relaxing against the pillows again. “So, you’re heading out?”

“In the early morning, yeah,” Colin nodded, sitting on the edge of the bed. “I tried to get a couple days’ extension but they weren’t having it.”

“I wish you could stay,” Josef admitted. “Not so much for me, but because we miss you around here. Your mother prays for you every night. I told her she ought to be praying for those assassins who don’t stand a chance against you, but then she gives me that icy look and I shut right up.”

“I’ve seen that look more than a few times,” Colin chuckled. “I guess I’m just worried for her. And Becca. I’m worried Mama’s heart will give out from exhaustion again and no one will be around to help. Or that Becca is so tired that she drops the ball on her exams, or that-“

“Colin, stop it,” Josef said sternly. “It is not your job to single handedly carry this family. Everything will work itself out in the end. It always does.”

“What about you?” Colin asked.

“I’m feeling better,” Josef said. “I think that once this leg is healed up, I’ll be right back to work so your mother can take a little break. It’ll be a slow start, but a start nonetheless.”

“You’re sure?”

“All you need to worry about is doing your job for the Rothchild family,” Josef said firmly. “And if you have a little time to yourself, maybe spend it around the health center. Seems like those Zenian nurses are good company.”

Colin almost didn’t understand him at first, but when the realization hit he knew he turned red.

“Ugh, Dad, please,” Colin said. “It’s not like that and you know it.”

“I do know it,” Josef laughed. “That’s what concerns me. When I was your age, I’d be sweeping her to beaches and balconies and-“

“Dad.”

“Alright, I surrender.”

The lighthearted moment was broken by Josef’s hoarse coughing, but when Colin offered him the water he just waved it away dismissively. For the rest of the day, Josef refused any help from anyone. Most likely to put Eliza and Colin’s minds at ease before they left. The family was able to have one last dinner together before they said their goodbyes, knowing they’d leave before anyone was awake the next day.

Becca was the one to take them to port the next morning, right before she had to go to school. She had tears in her eyes as she hugged Colin goodbye.

“Be safe,” she said. “Do good work.”

“Take care of yourself,” Colin said. “I mean it.”

Becca stepped back, then hugged Eliza tightly.

“Thank you so much,” she said through sniffles.

“Of course,” Eliza said, hugging her back. “Good luck on your exams. You’ll do an amazing job.”

It was a tearful goodbye, but they had to leave. Colin and Eliza were quiet for a lot of the trip, but as they neared Zenia again Colin excused himself.

“I have to put the uniform back on before we land,” he grumbled, digging through his bag.

“That’s too bad,” Eliza said.

“What do you mean?”

“Nothing,” she said with a shrug. “You just seem more comfortable in your own clothes. More human, I guess. Whatever, never mind.”

She turned to look out the window, but Colin could have sworn he saw her blushing.