Space Cadets

two

Colin was struggling to stay awake. Night shifts were the worst. Especially the ones that required him to go to seedy bars. He had a headache already, and the loud pumping music wasn’t helping in the least. He sat at a table with a drink, though he’d hardly touched it. He was dressed like the shady thugs that frequented this district, waiting on the mob boss that he was supposed to “conduct business” with. A voice buzzed in his hidden earpiece.

“Target is on his way,” it said.

“Fucking finally,” Colin grumbled under his breath.

He glanced over at the entrance as an older man entered, flanked by several young and attractive women. He tapped his finger on the side of his glass, signaling the advancement in the stakeout to the undercover bartender. The tender gave him a slight nod as the group approached the bar. The older man spotted Colin at the table, approaching him cautiously.

“The sun sets at noon on Varune,” he said simply.

Colin recognized the code, smiling and gesturing to a seat at his table. The girls also sat around them with their drinks, giggling and having a good time.

“Are all of these friends necessary?” Colin asked.

“They won’t pay attention,” the man said. “Unless you want to add them to your order. That can be arranged, you know.”

Colin felt his stomach turn as the girls gave him flirtatious smiles, but he kept his expression calm. He smiled back to the man. He supposed he shouldn’t be surprised to add pimping to the list of charges he already had on him.

“We’ll see,” Colin said. “Let’s talk about our initial agreement, first. I have my boys waiting on a location to pick up our shipment. They’re starting to get tired.”

“The shipment is coming,” the man promised. “Bolen warehouse. Thirty crates of the finest Huyen mushrooms you’ve ever seen. All genuine.”

Colin nodded slowly. Huyen mushrooms were a popular party drug among the seedier crowds, and terribly dangerous. Catching a man with thirty crates to sell would be taking a huge dealer on the street. He heard his earpiece buzz again.

“The intel is good,” the voice told him. “We have the crates in sight. Proceed with the arrest.”

Colin tapped his glass again, signaling to the undercover barkeep. On his signal, they both drew their weapons. The dealer backed up with wide eyes as the girls screamed, realizing they were surrounded by undercover security. Unfortunately, they weren’t the only ones in hiding. Mobsters also drew weapons on them, creating an atmosphere of chaos in the place.

“On the ground,” Colin ordered, pointing the stun gun at the dealer. “Put your hands behind your head. Call your gang off and no one needs to get hurt tonight.”

The man paused, then suddenly took off running. Colin started the pursuit, but one of the girls suddenly leaped onto his back, yanking on his hair to pull him down. He jerked back and managed to get a grip on her, flipping her over his shoulder and into the ground.

“Stay,” he said, pointing to her like a stern parent before taking off running.

Fights broke out in the bar, and Colin dodged several electric currents from guns as he chased down his target. He found him running up the stairs into the private rooms, tackling him to the ground and holding him down as he slapped cuffs onto his wrists.

“What the fuck?” the dealer grumbled. “We were friends! We had drinks together!”

“That’s what happens when you get too lazy to do background checks on your clients,” Colin said, yanking him to his feet. “Move along.”

When they came back down, the undercover security had everything under control and several people in restraints. Some of the girls had managed to claim innocence and get away, but others were among the ones being ushered into police shuttles. Colin handed off the dealer, finally glad to take off the itchy jacket and chains he had to wear to blend in with everyone.

Captain Lukas, lead of the Queen’s Advanced Surveillance Team, approached Colin with a big grin on his face. He patted Colin on the back.

“You did great, kid,” he said. “This was a big win for us. And a big win for you. I’m going to write you a glowing commendation for your record.”

“Commendation,” Colin repeated. “Thanks. A letter with some nice stuff about me is why I dedicated so much time and effort into hanging around the absolute worst people.”

Captain Lukas sighed.

“I know you’re still looking for that pay raise,” he said. “I promise it’s coming. As soon as the paperwork goes through.”

“That paperwork is moving awfully slowly,” Colin grumbled.

“You’re going to get your shot,” he assured him. “You’re doing so well at such a young age. Just be patient. You’ll get the recognition you deserve.”

Colin didn’t say anything, but forced a smile and a nod. At this point, he just wanted to go home. He packed up his things quietly and headed to one of the public hover transports that took him back to the quiet neighborhood his family lived in. By the time he was home, the sun was rising. As soon as he stepped inside, he was tackled. His younger brother had just turned eight years old, and was now going through a “let’s fight” phase. Colin caught him in mid air, holding the kid tightly as he kicked and yelled.

“Colin you’re home!” George exclaimed.

“I am, and I’d appreciate a little quiet, please,” Colin begged. “Aren’t you supposed to be in school?”

“We got to stay home,” he said. “Teacher said the Queen died, so now we have to stay home and cry about it.”

“I’m sorry, what?”

“The queen didn’t die,” a matter-of-fact voice piped in.

Colin looked up and spotted his teenage sister walk up, practically radiating hormones and angst as she rolled her eyes. At this point, Colin was surprised that Rebecca’s eyes didn’t roll right out of her head.

“Care to explain?” Colin asked.

“You haven’t heard?” Rebeccah said. “It’s all anyone is talking about.”

“I’ve been a little occupied,” Colin said in a flat tone. “Give me the synopsis.”

“Fine,” Rebecca sighed. “The Queen had that big celebration, you know? All the way on Zenia. All these high and mighty families were parading around in those gorgeous dresses, and then the whole thing just blew up. Literally.”

Colin frowned, looking down as George excitedly nodded.

“So now we don’t have to go to school today!” he said. “Because the teachers say we need to take a day of respect for the queen, or something like that. But Ma and Pop still had to go to the factory.”

Colin had noticed that their parents weren’t home, but it came as no surprise that they still had to work. They had been working their entire lives and still struggled to support the family. Something Colin hoped to change. Unfortunately, that was all up to the “slow paperwork”.

“I don’t see why we need to respect the queen,” Rebecca scoffed. “She’s never done anything for us.”

“Hey, stop that,” Colin scolded. “I work in the Queen’s guard, you know. Everything I am, I owe to her.”

“And what about everything I want to be?” Rebecca argued.

Colin went quiet. His sister had been accepted to one of the most prestigious universities in the galaxy with the goal of becoming a space engineer, but their family could never afford the tuition.

“You’ll get there, Becca,” Colin assured her. “Bashing the queen won’t get you any closer.”

She pursed her lips, then tossed her hair over her shoulder.

“Whatever,” she said. “I made breakfast. George, come finish your food. Are you coming, Colin?”

Colin felt a buzz in his pocket as his radio lit up.

Please report to headquarters.

“Actually, I need to go,” Colin said. “Sorry.”

George’s face fell. “You always say that.”

“I know,” Colin said. “It won’t be like this forever. Just until I help pay off some of our debts. Okay?”

George nodded and Colin gave both his younger siblings a reassuring smile before quickly changing into a fresh uniform and heading back out.

The QAST headquarters was the largest and grandest building on Colin’s otherwise grey and bland home planet. Exolen wasn’t exactly a planet known for luxuries. The little profit they made came from the droid factories. He quickly fixed his appearance as he headed to Captain Lukas’ office, surprised to find two others in there. Both wore badges of the queen’s official guard, which was the highest title that could be achieved in the field.

“Ah, Colin,” Lukas greeted. “This is Generals Chaubal and Faris. They’re here about-”

“The incident with the queen, I’m guessing,” Colin finished. “It’s an honor.”

“He seems a little young,” General Faris noted.

“He is,” Lukas admitted. “But I assure you, he’s the best I have. You’ll never meet someone who pays more attention to detail. Colin has never gone into any situation without knowing exactly what is happening and what needs to be done. The kid has reflexes like a Zenian Wildcat.”

The generals looked Colin up and down.

“Alright,” Faris said. “We’ll take him tomorrow morning.”

Colin didn’t get a chance to ask any questions before they left. His jaw was agape as he turned back to a grinning Captain Lukas.

“Take me?” Colin questioned. “Where are they taking me?”

“To Zenia,” Lukas said. “I told you that you were going to get your big shot, didn’t I? You’ll be serving as an official guard to the family of Ambassador Rothchild.”

“Zenia?!” Colin repeated. “I can’t go to Zenia, it’s on the other side of the galaxy. My family needs me here with them.”

“Colin, listen,” Lukas said, lowering his voice and giving him a knowing look. “It’s five times the pay.”

Colin froze. Years of struggling to put food on the table, birthdays gone without any gifts, and the look on Rebecca’s face when she found out she couldn’t go to University flashed before his eyes.

“Okay. I’ll do it.”