Status: Ongoing

John Bennett - Seraph

Issue #1

The cold windy night slammed against my face as I sat on the hood of my car. Earlier today I was in class, and truth be told I was actually sleeping. I hadn’t received the bed nights rest prior. I was sitting at the desk with my head in my textbook for my computer science class. I had recently graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in computer science and decided to go for my Master’s degree, but as I slept, my professor slammed his hand on the desk, waking me up instantly.

“Mr. Bennett, I see you’re sleeping during my lecture once more,” Professor Albert had told me. “At this rate, you’ll never pass this class, which is a shame, Mr. Bennett, because I’ve seen your work…”

I reacted by rubbing the back of my head and laughed out of anxiety, “I’m sorry, Mr. Albert. I, uh, sort of didn’t sleep all that well last night.”

Mr. Albert looked under my textbook and saw a comic book underneath. “I can tell,” he told me. He began to walk away as I sighed with relief, but then my nightmare became a reality. “Next time I see you come in with a comic book while I’m giving a lecture, I’ll remove you from the class myself.”

I gulped as some students began to laugh at the professor reprimanding me. “Yes sir.”

Truth be told, my life was fairly easy. Before everything changed, I landed a job as a software developer for a large tech firm in the city. I lived in a large, older house that I inherited after my family died during a drunk driving accident. The driver died after she hit my parent’s car. I was only 12 at the time. Luckily I had financial cushioning. My father owned the tech business I now worked for, and while I owned most shares, I wanted to prove myself to the board by working like everyone else, only I would make executive decisions from time to time. The money I inherited, as well as my father’s investments, made it so I could survive while I lived with the staff that maintained the mansion.

My main butler who helped raise and educate me at the time was Mr. Hernandez. He was from Spain, well educated, even for a butler. He always means well and is very caring. He helped maintain everything while I was growing up.

Life was good for me. So, here I am, sitting on my car’s hood, looking up at the night sky. I enjoyed driving out into the country and looking out into the universe from the forests near the city. That’s when I heard the sound of an old 69’ Mustang. I used to work on my dad’s old cars, so I knew a muscle car engine sound when I heard it. Everything was confirmed as I saw the headlights in the distance, swerving up the Blue Hills’ road.

“What’s going on?” I asked myself. I heard gunshots and police sirens in the distance. My phone was also going off, it was my boyfriend, Izzy. He, well, let’s just say he was a flamboyant feminine male. He loved dressing and appearing as either a flamboyant man or what is colloquially called a “femboy”. A person who looks like a girl but isn’t. He was only 25, but he is the love of my life. I looked at the phone to see Izzy was trying to call me, his picture appearing on the screen. His beautiful lips, eyeliner, his long, black eyelashes, and his outfits were kawaii, or cute, per se.

I quickly texted him I was busy and put my phone on silent as I slid off the hood of my car as the shooting and the mustang closed in on my current location.

Meanwhile, out in orbit around the Earth…


The I.S.S. appeared to slowly hover above the earth, granted it moved at an extremely fast rate. Those on board were studying a strange new phenomenon occurring near Uranius. Finally, the evidence needed to prove White Holes exist is upon the human species. Just then, the readings on the abnormal activity near the planet began to go array. The energy activity being detected suddenly blew up to the size of a football stadium and fired a massive white beam of energy. The scientists observing it on the station and on Earth watched as the satellite was destroyed instantly with the force of a Gamma-Ray Burst, flying faster than imaginable. The beam faded in and out of reality as it headed towards the home planet of the humans.

“Captain,” one observer began from inside the station. “This thing is moving too fast for us to track, it’s on a collision course not just for us, but Earth itself!”

Down at NASA, the observing man who was currently in charge watched as the feed on the large screen in the situation room went off. “Call the president, get men out to that site! I want this thing tracked properly and I want to know what this contains.”

“Sir, this might destroy all life on the planet, we don’t know what this is,” said one technician.

As everyone watched almost too helplessly, they began to get feedback that the ray was heading for the I.S.S. Over time, the ray was becoming ever more diluted, but they didn’t know that. The men and women on the station watched helplessly as it headed their way, some even praying. But little did they know their prayers fell on deaf ears.

At NASA, they watched as the ray slammed into the station, and as it did, it exploded, the cries, screams, and panic went silent as the feed at NASA died out. “My God…” the commander said. Everyone in the room was silent and either staring at the static screen or the commander himself, Mr. Michael Brains.

Already, teams were dispatched and police were told of the oncoming attack, so they instantly stopped following the mustang where John and the oncoming car were at, as that was where the stadium-size ray was heading. Everyone waited for the end of the world.

Back in Massachusetts...


I felt a sudden need to be a hero, I always wanted to be one with all the comics I read. I hopped in my car, started it up, and drove as fast as I could to stop the car coming towards me. As they neared me, I slammed into them and towards a nearby lake, their car tumbling down the hill and slamming into some trees. My car did the same as it spun around and slammed into a tree. I felt myself roll down the hill. I got up as fast as I could to see the driver was dead, but someone else was not, and they looked pissed. He was badly beaten up as he looked me in the eye. He was about fifty yards away from me as I stood up.

In his hand was a bag, which I assume was filled with money or jewels. “You son of a bitch,” I heard the man shout. He pulled his mask off to reveal a white man in his early thirties with red hair and hazel eyes. “You killed my partner, you mother fucker!” He pulled out a small gun and aimed it at me. “You’re going to regret that. Because of you, my life is now ruined! Tell me,” he asked me, “what’s your name?”

“My name?” I responded.

“Are you deaf? Yes. Your. Name. You crashed our ride. You killed my partner, least I could do is remember the bastard who decided to be a hero and got killed for it.”

I didn’t know how to respond.

“I asked for your name!” He shouted once more.

“Bennett!” I bellowed. “It’s John Bennett.”

“Oh, OK “Mr. Bennett”, how old are you? Twenty-five? Thirty?”

“I’m 27.” I felt no fear run down my spine, but I felt some anxiety that I would not see Izzy again. His face flashbacking into my mind at the moment.

“Twenty-seven, huh? Not too young nor too old. OK, looky here, Bennett, when I die, you can be sure I will be alive and well,” he said while waving the gun around as he spoke. The sound of his gloves tightening on the trigger was loud enough for me to hear as he pulled the trigger in what felt like forever. That’s when my attention was drawn to the sky.

A bright light could be seen overhead, I could see I barely had enough time to react by looking up. Not only did I do this, but as the gun fired, the man did the same. Then it happened, the light slammed down on the ground, my skin burning intensely. I felt my very muscles go limp as I fell to the ground, but I didn’t do it without a fight. The bullet hit my chest as I ran to the man to attack him, unsure what was happening, but I feel a powerful urge to do this last act before I die. I tried with all my might to not cry out in pain, but before I could reach the criminal, I fell to the ground, limp, completely helpless and everything faded to black.

As everything faded, soon, to me at least, things started to come back in the form of voices. I couldn’t tell what was being said, but I knew it couldn’t be good. By the time I came around, I found myself in a hospital bed. Nothing attached to me, but I had a gown on and I had bandaged around my body, including some casts.

I looked around, feeling little pain, all originating in my muscles and bones themselves. That’s when the doctor came in as did a few officers. Behind them was Izzy in his crop-top, skirt, and hairband.

“Good evening, son, glad to see you’re awake and moving around a little,” the officer said as the doctor spoke up as well.

“Mr. Bennett,” he began, “Do you know what today is?”

“The 23rd?” I answered.

“What month?”

“April.”

“Mr. Bennett, I do not know how to inform you of this, but you’ve been in a coma for about nine months,” the doctor told me, Izzy himself looked beyond horrified, scared, worried, and unsure of what to do.

“What? N-no, that can’t be right, I just passed out!” I felt immense pain flood my system as I attempted to sit up only to fall back down.

“John,” Izzy said in his feminine voice, almost passing as a female, too. I’m sure if people didn’t know who he was, they’d think he was a girl. “It’s been so long. All I could do was visit you.”

“Mr. Bennett,” the doctor chimed in again, “currently you’re in your own home, we moved some tech here so you could recover without media presence.”

“John,” a man said walking in behind the officers. He wore a black suit. “My name is Greg Johnson, I’m the detective working the case involving the criminals who you attempted to stop. How do you feel?”

“I feel like I’m in a lot of pain. What happened to the other guy?”

“Mr. Fredrick Mancer, the one you stopped, was arrested, but he escaped prison some time ago. We’re hoping to track him down. We wanted to thank you for helping us during a time of crisis.”

“Sure,” I said wincing from the pain. “Any idea where he went or what he stole or did?”

“Well, normally we wouldn’t tell civilians, but he and his partner, Marcus Kinder, who died upon you hitting them, stole over $25 million dollars and killed several bank members and security guards.”

“So why are you here then?” I asked.

“Because something happened to you and Mancer that night that has had a massive impact on the world. That night, several very intelligent people died as the International Space Station exploded from things I’m not sure we can tell you. However, as you may notice, no needles, like I.V’s, are inside you. There’s a reason that.”

“O...K… So what happened.”

“Do you recollect what happened that night?” One officer asked.

“I saw a light and then I woke up here,” I answered.

“That night, scientists at NASA discovered the first white hole to physically appear for us, the first visual of a white whole. That white hole lasted for a few nanoseconds before dispersing completely and blasting out what we believed to have been a Gamma-Ray Burst, to which hit the two of you. Not, your physiology has evolved. We can’t even pierce your skin with modern medical tech."
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the first issue of the Fusion Comic universe. These are all my own creation and belong in the text-based universe of my own comic series, Fusion Comics.