Someone Lost, Something Gained

★quarantasei★

Image


Everyone gathered is nearly vibrating with excitement by the time the key scrapes in the lock. Veda squeezes Hattie’s hand as the door swings open, shut, and Niall appears around the archway. He freezes at the explosion of noise, eighteen people shouting ‘Happy birthday’ at the top of their lungs. His eyes find Veda’s, and she shrugs with a smile on her face. David Barkie cowers at his feet.

Before she can approach, Nonna is there in front of him. Her hands cradle his cheeks, and she gives him a watery smile. “Happy birthday, caro. Welcome to the neighbourhood.”

Veda loses track of where he moves to. One second, he is talking to Antonio, then he’s nowhere to be seen. She weaves her way through the family she’s found, smiling at everyone, accepting kisses to her cheek and even loving tugs on her curls. DB trots behind her, clearly still uncomfortable with the amount of people. Thankfully, the kitchen is slightly less crowded.

“Oh, there you are.”

“Sorry, darling, I borrowed your sweetheart for a minute. I hope you don’t mind.”

“Of course not, Miss Sylvia. But I am gonna steal him back.”

“If you must.” Miss Sylvia passes by, leaning in close at Veda’s side. “He’s a keeper, honey. You ever tire of him, we’re kicking you out and keeping him.”

“Gee, thanks. I see where I stand.”

Niall is watching Veda when she turns back to him. She smiles, accepts the cup that Catalina hands her, and dances to his side. He wraps his arm around her shoulder, tugging her closer, and grins at all the people moving around. The ones who are here for him, even though they don’t know him.

“Surprised?” she whispers as she kisses his cheek.

He chuckles, pressing his lips to her forehead. “Absolutely. It isn’t even my birthday anymore.”

“Which is exactly why Hattie and I chose today for the party.”

“I have no idea why you think I deserve you, but I’m selfish enough to never let you go.”

“The feeling is absolutely mutual,” she murmurs before kissing him gently. It’s soft, sweet, so much better with the realisation that he’s the one for her. He always will be.

“Hey, everyone! Veda’s kissing her boyfriend,” Hattie singsongs from the archway.

Laughter floats through from the living room, the people in the kitchen turning to grin at Veda. Her cheeks burn furiously, and she buries her face against his chest. Leave it to Hattie to ruin the moment.

“Can I kill her yet?”

“Definitely not,” he laughs. “She’s pretty awesome, embarrassment aside. Plus, I don’t think you’d look good in an orange jumpsuit.”

“Well, damn. There go my hopes of being an astronaut.”

Thankfully, no one else tries to embarrass Veda as the day goes on. He fits in wonderfully into this moment, with these people who have been family since long before she ever figured it out. Even during the rough times, Veda has never doubted his presence in her life.

Antonio has somehow managed to get his hands on sparklers and firecrackers. The evening fills with the sound of kids shrieking in the streets, the loud pops and hissing as firecrackers explode on the asphalt, and the laughter of the guests. She sits on the stoop with him, leaning against his side with her head on his shoulder, and watches everyone have fun.

Even David Barkie has decided to join in on the festivities. He chases after the kids, yipping with his tongue hanging from his mouth. He doesn’t even startle at the firecrackers now. Veda isn’t surprised when Jamie and Nelly call him to their laps and start petting him. The girls have been begging their parents for a dog for years.

Music starts playing, and Tommy moves away from the boombox he’s brought with him.

“Miss Veda, may I have this dance?”

Veda giggles, looks at Niall. He shrugs. “As jealous of a man as I am, I suppose I can let him have one dance with you.”

“I’ll always come back to you,” she whispers as she presses her lips to his cheek.

She doesn’t get the chance to enjoy the surprise on his face before Tommy is pulling her down the stairs. Lady Gaga sings of a poker face. Kesha begs the DJ to blow the speakers up. After Tommy comes Antonio, and he spins her before pulling her back against his chest.

“This was a great idea, Veda. I think he’s enjoying himself.”

Carlos is next, bouncing around with Veda to Will Smith’s Wild Wild West. She giggles when he gets distracted by the fresh round of firecrackers. Mister Thompson holds out his hand, and how can she refuse?

The old man smiles down at her. His brown eyes shine with the streetlights, and the flicker of the sparklers catch on the deep lines in his face. Veda isn’t surprised to see he dressed in his Sunday best.

“I approve of your choice in men. At least this man. The others, I didn’t care for.”

Veda looks over his shoulder to see Niall watching them, his lips curved into a gentle grin. She turns her gaze back onto Mister Thompson. “I do, too. If I didn’t, I certainly wouldn’t be in love with him, would I?”

“I suppose not,” laughs Mister Thompson. “Oh, no. You should probably save him from Miss Sylvia.”

“Forget Miss Sylvia. Nonna is the one I’m worried about!”

Mister Thompson squeezes her hands, gives her a little bow, then toddles off to the chairs set along the pavement. Veda steps off to the sidelines. Her chest aches with the love that consumes her. Kids laugh, racing down the pavement using cars as markers. DB is curled up on Catalina’s lap. The adults chat amongst themselves, and never before has she ever felt like this.

“He’s lovely, Miss Veda.”

Veda turns to see Mrs Nadir approaching, taking the cup the woman offers. She can’t speak as she looks back at Niall. The light catches on his hair. His eyes. The strength in his body that she knows so well. Miss Sylvia beams as he twirls her, brings her back into his arms.

“You love him.”

Veda can only nod in response, though a weight settles in her belly. She’s told nearly everyone else, even his mother. Why can’t she say it to him?

She’s surprised when Mrs Nadir pats her back with a gentle hand. Had Veda spoken aloud?

“Because if you tell him, you risk him not feeling the same. But if I may be so bold? He absolutely does.”

Veda swallows thickly and hopes - prays - that Mrs Nadir is right. That he feels for her what she’s felt for him for so long. Mrs Nadir smiles, murmuring that now is Veda’s chance to steal her boyfriend back from Miss Sylvia’s grip. Especially considering Nonna is approaching him.

She recognises the gleam in the woman’s eye.

Hattie catcalls when Veda gets to Niall’s side before anyone else can fill his dance card. He chuckles, sweeps her into his arms, and Veda stares up at him. A fine mist clings to his eyelashes and his hair. He’s more beautiful than she ever thought someone could be.

“Oh, Christ,” she giggles when the stereo begins playing I Knew I Loved You by Savage Garden.

The amusement vanishes when Niall pulls her closer, when he leans down to sing in her ear. His heartbeat is steady when she rests her head against his chest, and she catches Mrs Nadir’s eye across the distance. Maybe she’s right.

Veda pulls back just enough to watch his face as she whispers the truth everyone but him has known: “I love you.”

His eyes are impossibly brighter, and the tenderness in his smile tells her she’s made the right choice to admit it. He brushes his lips to her forehead, cups her jaw with one hand. She melts into the kiss.

“I love you, too,” he whispers back. “I have for a long time.”

“Since before you met me?”

He doesn’t take the bait. Instead, his expressions turns serious as he pushes a curl from her face. “I think… I feel like I’ve been waiting for you my entire life. Like you’re the destiny I’ve been chasing. After all, why else would we have met on the plane that day if it wasn’t fate?”

“Oh, my God, you’re too perfect,” she says on a shaky laugh, blinking rapidly to get rid of the tears. One slips free anyway.

“Nah. I’m just in love with you, Ve-Veda.”

“That’s disgusting, Horan. Super disgusting.”

He laughs and kisses her harder. It should be awkward, with everyone around watching them, but Veda can’t care about that. She feels too at home with him holding her like this. Kissing her as if she’s the whole world cradled in his palms. The best part is, she loves him and he loves her back.