Status: Complete ♥

Bittersweet

1/1

Kat had always loved the summer fair that her town threw every year; she loved the smell of food drifting from different stalls and the time she got to spend with her friends. A large crowd flitted around as she made her way towards the games, hoping to track down her group and smiling when she caught sight of them.

“Move over,” Aaron said, shoving Seth aside and laughing, “Let me show you how it’s done.”

“Be my guest,” Seth added, watching closely as Aaron threw one of the balls and completely missed the stack of cans that he was aiming for, “I don’t think that’s how it’s done, bro.”

“Shut up,” Aaron replied with a playful glare.

With a chuckle, Kat shook her head and moved over to the Ferris Wheel where Angie was already waiting in line. They soon reached the front and climbed into the next available passenger car, looking out as they slowly rose higher off the ground. The people below got smaller as they drew closer to the top, where you could see out over the town and Kat always found the view exhilarating.

As the sunset on an eventful day, the fair came alive in an illumination of color and something in the atmosphere shifted. Lights strung from branches led them back to the parking lot and Kat climbed into the back seat of Angie’s car with Seth, listening to the music that played softly from the stereo.

It wasn’t long before they were parking up again and Kat followed the trio in silence, knowing exactly where they were heading.

“The fair wasn’t the same without you, but I rode the Ferris Wheel like we always do and the boys won us both a teddy,” Angie said as she crouched down in front of the fresh grave, glancing up and smiling when Aaron placed a pink bear against the headstone.

“We miss you, Kat,” Seth Stated with tears in his eyes, wrapping his arm around Angie as she stood at his side and resting his other hand on Aaron’s shoulder.

“We’ll always miss you,” Aaron added.

Kat watched on with a sad smile, wiping the tears that rolled down her face and turning as the flutter of wings caught her attention.

“It’s time to go, kiddo,” her uncle told her, placing his hands on her shoulders and kissing her head.

“Will they be okay?”

“In time,” her uncle promised, “Their loss is still raw, but they’ll soon realize that you’re always with them and the hurt will ease.”

“I love you guys,” she whispered with the knowledge that they couldn’t hear her, before turning away and feeling warmth wash through her as she stepped into the light.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy ♥