‹ Prequel: Forever
Status: Active ♥

Always

Ten

Friday couldn’t come sooner and Brooklyn rushed home from school, getting changed. It had been too long since she’d spent time with Jared and right now, any distraction was a good one.

Nico hadn’t said anything to Axel and Felix had told her that her debt was paid, but she knew better than to keep secrets. Secrets were no different from lies and despite her intentions being good, Brooklyn wasn’t a liar.

Crazy golf and dinner had always been something that they’d done with their mom, but they hadn’t gone since she’d passed away.

“18 holes?” Jared inquired as they waited to get their clubs and balls, “Loser pays for ice cream on the way home.”

“You’re on,” Brooklyn replied.

The rest of the night consisted of laughter, smack-talking, and Brooklyn walking away victorious. They ate at one of their favorite Italian restaurants and stopped for ice cream, before heading home.

It had been nice to just forget, forget that she was lying to one of the most important people in her life, and the fact that she missed her mom more than anything. She went to bed as soon as they got in that night and woke up early the following morning, taking Shylo for a walk before his shift with her dad.

“No drinking at this party you’re going to,” her dad warned as he got Shylo’s harness on a while later.

“Dad, his parents are going to be there,” Brooklyn stated, “It’s a family party.”

“That doesn’t mean anything, I’ve attended family parties on the job and found drugs,” her dad argued, “Just promise me that you won’t drink.”

“I promise.”

Some of Axel’s family were already there when Brooklyn arrived and she made her way out into the yard, where everyone was gathered. Though she knew his immediate family, she hadn’t met many other members and that made her a little nervous.

With her present placed with the others, she turned to look for the birthday boy and smiled as he pulled her into a hug.

“Hey,” he greeted with a smile.

“Hey yourself,” Brooklyn replied, cupping his cheek and pressing a sweet kiss to his lips, “Happy Birthday.”

“Thank you.”

Stood with Axel an hour later, Brooklyn laughed at a story his cousin had just told her and looked over towards the house as a familiar voice caught her attention.

“Where’s the birthday boy at?” Felix shouted, spotting Axel and making his way over, “Feliz cumpleanos primo.”

“What are you doing here?” Axel inquired with a glare.

“I’ve just come to wish my baby cousin a happy birthday...”

Not wanting Axel’s day to be ruined, Brooklyn entwined their fingers and pulled him over to where his friends were sat.

“Don’t let him ruin your party,” Brooklyn told him, “He’s not worth it.”

“You weren’t saying that when you were running for me.”

“What’s he talking about?” Axel asked with a frown, turning to look at Brooklyn expectantly and letting go of her hand as the silence stretched, “Babe?”

“Don’t do this here,” Brooklyn pleaded as everyone stared at her.

“After everything he’s done, why the hell would you get involved with his business?”

“For you...” Brooklyn shouted, feeling her chest constrict and tears form in her eyes, “I did it to protect you... all of you from him.”

Unable to bear looking at the look of hurt on Axel’s face, Brooklyn took off and ignored the numerous shouts of her name.
♠ ♠ ♠
What will happen between Axel and Brooklyn?

Enjoy ♥