‹ Prequel: Forever
Status: Active ♥

Always

Twelve

Brooklyn spent the next few days helping Jared move into his new apartment and spending time with Braxton, giving herself an excuse to avoid everyone. She woke up early on Tuesday morning, getting ready for school and dropping Braxton off at the babysitter's on the way.

Stood at her locker a while later, she shoved some books inside and slammed the door shut as voices caught her attention.

“All I’m asking is what you were doing Monday afternoon?” came the first voice, causing Brooklyn’s curiosity to peek and she walked around the corner to find Axel with a couple of police officers.

“I already told you,” Axel replied, “I’m not telling you.”

“Then we have no choice,” the officer added, retrieving his handcuffs and looking up as Brooklyn spoke.

“He was with me,” she said, not meeting Axel’s gaze and continuing, “We went to my mom’s grave to tidy it.”

“Why wouldn’t you just tell me that?”

“I asked him not to say anything, my dad doesn’t know how much I was struggling and Axel was there to help.”

“You don’t have to help him,” the officer told her.

“You’re right, I don’t, but I’ve always been taught to tell the truth.”

The officer watched her for a few minutes, before returning his cuffs to his belt and nodding to his partner. Silence fell as the officers walked away and Brooklyn turned to leave, stopping when Axel spoke.

“He was right, you didn’t have to do that...”

“Yes, I did because despite everything, and maybe I’m stupid for it, but I still care.”

Not giving Axel a chance to respond, Brooklyn headed to her first class and ruffled Brandon’s hair as she walked past his desk. It wasn’t until her free period after lunch that Axel tracked her down, taking a seat opposite her and taking the pen out of her hand when she refused to look at him. Unsure of what to say, Brooklyn looked over at him and waited for him to speak.

“How did we end up here?” he mumbled.

“Miscommunication, misunderstandings, our intention to protect each other... take your pick.”

“I don’t want to lose you, Brook, and I’m really sorry for everything.”

“Me too.”

“I hate not having you around and I miss you, I just wish that we could go back.”

“It’s true that we can’t go back, but maybe we could start again,” Brooklyn suggested.

“I’d like that.”

Although completely sure of her decision, Brooklyn knew that there were no guarantees that it would work out and that was a little scary. She loved Axel... she loved who she was around him and everything they had was worth giving another shot.

They spoke until the bell rang to signal their next lesson and Brooklyn packed away her things, agreeing to meet Axel after school at the milkshake shack. Focused on her sketch, Brooklyn jumped as a screwed-up piece of paper landed on her desk and opened it with a frown.

Do you want to catch a movie tonight?

With a glance around the room, her gaze landed on Brandon and she quickly wrote a reply.

Can’t tonight, Axel and I are going for milkshakes. We have things to talk about.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy reading ♥
Did Brooklyn make the right decision?