‹ Prequel: Forever
Status: Active ♥

Always

Fourteen

Brooklyn woke up early the next morning, getting Braxton ready for the day ahead and making breakfast. It was soon time to leave and she dropped Braxton off at Lindsay’s, before heading to school.

The bell rang as soon as she arrived, causing her to groan in frustration and rush to homeroom. She had been late for school a lot since Jared moved out, what with her dad working crazy shifts and her being the only person there to get Braxton to his babysitter.

“Brooklyn,” her teacher said as she entered the room, “Nice of you to join us.”

“Sorry, Mr. Copeland,” Brooklyn replied, offering him a smile and taking a seat next to Brandon.

“Everything okay?”

“Yeah, dad's on weird shifts at the moment and I had to drop Braxton off at Lindsay’s on the way,” Brooklyn explained, “I just need to figure out how to balance everything.”

They were in the middle of discussing Brandon’s birthday, when Mr. Copeland placed a letter in front of them both and she picked it up. Beach Bonfire she read, glancing over at Brandon and grinning.

“You in?”

“Of course I am,” Brooklyn replied, “We haven’t missed one yet.”

Homeroom soon came to an end and they headed to their first class, which was science. Although classes before lunch flew by, Brooklyn was glad when the bell rang and she made her way to the cafeteria.

Not really wanting to talk to anyone, she grabbed herself some food and found an empty table. She had been working on her English assignment for nearly half an hour, when Brandon walked in with the baseball team and motioned for her to join them.

With a shake of her head, she offered him a small smile and returned her attention to the paper in front of her. The truth was that she just wasn’t much fun to be around and, although she wanted to spend time with Brandon, the urge to be alone was stronger. She was just packing away her things, when her phone chimed and she opened the new text from Jared.

‘Tonight would have been our monthly waffle night with mom, how about you and I take Braxton?’

‘I’d like that.’

‘I’ll pick you up about seven, feel free to invite Axel.’

Brooklyn put her phone away and headed to her next class, taking a seat at the back. The rest of the day dragged on and Brooklyn found herself disappointed, when the bell rang. Stood at her locker, she grabbed the books that she would need to do her homework and shoved them into her bag.

“Rough day?” came Axel’s voice from behind her.

“Something like that,” Brooklyn replied, closing her locker door and turning to face him.

“What are you doing tonight?”

“I’m going out with my brothers,” Brooklyn told him as they exited the school, “We’re going for waffles, my mom used to take us and I think Jared wants Braxton to experience it too... we both do.”

“Braxton’s lucky to have siblings like you.”

The truth was that Braxton wouldn’t remember their mom from his own memories, so it fell to her and Jared to make sure that he knew her. Brooklyn soon parted ways with Axel and headed home, picking up Braxton on the way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Reading ♥