Juggernaut Child

Make the devil your friend

That wasn’t the last time I came across my old friend.

And as his reputation begins to grow as the ruthless killer of the Feys, so does mine as the only Fey that manages to walk away without a scratch. And as I move from town to town, that reputation makes me a target. And I’m not just talking about The Red Paladins.

“You’re the Girl who can walk away from The Weeping Monk without a scratch.” A voice states. I look up from the bar, I’m cleaning and see an attractive man before me. He has medium length shaggy brown hair, kind eyes and an aura around him that produces arrogance to an annoying level.

“Is that what people are calling me?” I show a bit of disinterest as I continue cleaning. “And let me guess, you came to find out why?”

“There has to be a reason.” He looks me up and down. “You’re not built like a warrior. But your tongue is sharp like a snake’s. But sassing your way out, isn’t going to work on a ruthless killer like The Weeping Monk.”

“I don’t know the reason he spares me nor do I want to know.” I let out a sigh. “And I wish for people like you to leave me the hell alone. I’m just here to work my way back home.”

“And where is home exactly?” He questions. “You are far from home Ash Folk. There isn’t many of your kind left, is there? The Red Paladins made sure of that. Your kind was the first of the Fey to feel their wrath.”

“Trust me, I know.” I sigh, earning a look from the stranger before me. “I was young when they took everything from me. I can still hear the screams and smell the scent of burning flesh. I can still feel the heat of the ash as it falls onto my skin. They took everything away from me. And I do mean everything. And this was even before they had their ultimate weapon.” That was the night they acquired him.

The stranger before me sits stunned. He leans forward and speaks lowly. “There is a resistance amongst us. There are humans helping to smuggle Feys into a secret area away from Red Paladin eyes. If you ever wish to be a part of something, be whole again. I can help you get that.”

“And why should I trust you.”

“Us Feys have to stick together.” He smiles. “We’re family afterall, even if some of us don’t believe it.”

“What is your name then?” I ask him. “If we’re family, I deserve a name.”

“Gawain.” He smiles. “And is your name, dear sister?”

“Kenna.” I smile.

“Born of Fire...fitting.” He smiles. “We could always use a person like you amongst us, dear Kenna.”

“And what kind of person is that?”

“A weapon against The Red Paladins ultimate weapon.” He replies.

“I’m not a warrior, like you said.” I inform him. “I’m just a girl.”

“You may not be a warrior now but you can become one.” He smiles. “And I’ll be the one to teach you.”

“And how can you be so sure I’m going to agree to this?” A smirk dances on my lips.

“We wouldn’t be still having this conversation if you were about to tell me no…”

**

“Why can I not kill you?” A voice asks as I walk home, alone, in the middle of the night. I turn around and see Lancelot coming from behind a tree. He looks scared and confused; he looks like he’s been questioning his life.

“Performance issues?” I offer my suggestion with a careless shrug. “How should I know?”

“You’re the only one I can’t kill.” He sighs. “Why? Why are you so different?”

“We’re one and the same, Lancelot.” I sigh. “The Red Paladins have taken everything away from us.”

“They gave me a home, a purpose.” He exclaims, defending his captors. “Without them, I would have been nothing.”

“They burned your home to the ground. They burned your mother on a damn cross. They ripped you out of your home in the middle of the night kicking and screaming.” I scream. “They brainwashed you against your own kind. They are using you as a weapon against the Fey. Without them, you wouldn’t be so lost. Without them, you would have freedom. Without them, our families would still be alive. You can’t tell me you are that far gone that you don’t remember our childhood. Deep down, you remember. You remember us, Lancelot. I think that’s the reason you can’t kill me. Because I’m the only living thing from your childhood. I’m the only thing the Red Paladins didn’t corrupt.” I walk close to him, only for him to quickly back away from me. “Deep down, I know my Lancelot is there. And I’ll be there the day you break free. I’ll be there the day the Red Paladins’ hold is no longer there.”

“You sound so sure that’ll happen.” He clears his throat. “Why is that?”

“No one stays lost forever.” I smile. “And if you excuse me, I’ve got a camp to set up.”

“Why aren’t you afraid of me?” I close the space between us, this time he doesn’t back away.

“Because I know deep down, my Lancelot is still there.” I reply. “Because I know the true meaning behind those tear stains everyone is afraid of. Despite all the horror you’ve caused our kind, I can see your redemption.”

“And what if I remain this way?” He questions me as my fingers take hold of his hood. “What if I remain cursed as you think I am?”

“I don’t believe in curses.” I tell him, pushing the hood off his head. “I don’t believe in destiny either. But I do believe there is good in everyone; even those bastards that took everything from me. Anyone can be redeemed. Even the Weeping Monk. That’s why I’m not afraid of you. And that’s why you don’t kill me.” He gives me a questioning look. This causes a smile to play on my lips. “You believe I’m your redemption…”
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter title credit: Where the Lonely Ones Roam by Digital Dagger

comment&subscribe?