My Christmas Wish

Chapter 1

I rushed up the stairs to my next door neighbor’s apartment and knocked on his door. "Hey. Thank you so much for picking her up from daycare. She felt fine this morning..." I say walking past him and into his living room where my sick four year old, Presley, lay asleep on his couch.

"You know I don't mind Amira." he says sweetly, smiling down at my daughter. "I know...but, it’s a lot to ask of a neighbor you only met a few months ago." I say picking Presley up from the couch.

"God, she's getting heavy" I say, trying to get her situated. "I can carry her for you. Here... give her to me." he says taking her from me with ease. He follows me across the hall and into her bedroom where he lays her down and covers her up.

Standing in the hallway I put my hand on his arm. "Thank you Duane Lee. I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't of answered the phone today. My boss... we'll I’ve told you about him." I say patting him on the arm.

"I told you, if you ever needed anything all you had to do was ask." he says with a wink before walking out of my apartment.

Having lived here a short time and having no family around; I was very grateful to have him as a neighbor.

That had been two years ago, and needless to say things hadn't changed much. Presley had gotten in the routine of staying with Duane after school until I got home from work, or some nights, College. I had been struggling and working my way through college since I moved to Hawaii. It was hard work, but I knew my daughter deserved more from her mother than a dead end job with no benefits.

"I knocked lightly on Duane Lee's door and he opened a moment later.

”Hey" he says ushering me into his apartment. "You're just in time for dinner. My specialty..." he says motioning at the table where grilled cheese sandwiches sat, waiting to be eaten. I giggled and sat down beside my daughter who was half way into her meal.

"Sorry, I'm late again. I was trying to study for my test and lost track of time. I promise I'll be more careful next time." I say to him.

He just waves it off with a flip of his hand. "Don't even worry about it. You've got a lot on your mind, I understand." he says as he picks up my plate and puts a sandwich on it.

"Hey mom" Presley says between bites. "Aren't these the best?" she says grabbing another one. "They sure are. Why don't you slow down a little bit" I say biting into a gooey sandwich.

"Okay" she mumbles in return.

"So....what are you girls doing for Christmas this year, it’s only a few weeks away. Didn't you go to your mom's last year?" Duane asks form across the table.

I nod yes, finishing up my sandwich. "Yeah, but I don't think I can take it again this year..." I say looking over at my daughter. "I'll tell you about it later" I say quietly. He nods in understanding and I help him clear our dishes. "Hey Pres, get your things together so we can go home sweetie." I say washing the three plates off.

A few minutes later he walks us across the hall and my daughter runs off to her room. "Thank you again, for everything." I say with a smile.

"I don't mind at all. I miss my son so it’s nice to have her around when I get home." he says leaning against the door frame. "So why aren't you going home for Christmas?" he asks.

I let out a long sigh. "My mother. Its a constant fight the whole time we're there. I'm not raising Presley right, she's not going to the best schools....I shouldn't be living alone on an Island half way across the ocean...just pick a battle and we've fought about it!" I tell him. "So this year, its just me and her. The way it should be."

He laughs "I understand that. Not sure what I'm going to do yet...hopefully see my son." he says with a smile and turns back toward his apartment.

"I hope so too." I tell him before he shuts his door.