Status: Work in Progress

Love Song

I am young again

Despite only being in my thirties, most days I felt like a haggard eighty seven year old, who'd seen more than her fair share throughout the years. But as I closed my eyes the warm breeze floated through car window; for the first time in two years, I felt young again. A jarring honk from a car horn brought me back to life as I sat at the red light. "I'm going, I'm going... shit." I mumbled to myself.

I had found myself getting lost in thought more and more these days as I tried to get back to a normal life... if I could even call it that anymore. I had been attending a court mandated rehab for the past six months. I had my good days and then I had some really bad days but I hadn't done drugs in eight months and that was a feat all it's own. Most people think of addicts as criminals, low life, poor people, useless to society; but I was none of those things. In fact I once had a thriving career as a Psychologist. I was pretty damn good at helping others fight their demons but couldn't seem to fight my own.

Those demons were what brought me to Hawaii from Texas just three short years ago. Being an only child and losing both parents within the span of a six month period had sent me into a depressive spiral. No longer being able to keep that depression at bay I packed up my small house and decided to move. Thinking back, I probably should have sought out my own Psychologist. "What the fuck do they know." I thought to myself with a chuckle.

Life in Hawaii had been quite a change from Texas. I no longer had to worry about pleasing anyone or fitting in with the other Doctor's in the practice I worked at. No, Hawaii was laid back, they lived on "Island Time" as I had heard all the locals say. Which meant, people were generally late getting anywhere and everywhere; including their Doctor's appointments. At first it was annoying and I felt it to be very rude until I finally realized they meant no disrespect to me, it was just their culture. Once I learned to lighten up a little life began to change. I had ditched the four inch stilettos for sandals and pencil skirts for blue jeans. I no longer wore my hair in a neat bun, instead wearing it down and curly.

My patients were traumatized children all the way to adults who just needed someone to talk to. The children were the hardest, they were so vulnerable and broken. But I had always heard that it was easier to heal a broken child than it was to fix a broken adult. In most cases they were correct. Most adults were pretty set their ways by the time they made it to my office. That didn't mean I didn't try my hardest to make them whole again.

One case in particular would change my life forever.