Status: Work in Progress

Love Song

Whatever words I say

"Whatever you say in this office is completely confidential Rami." I assured my newest patient as he sat down on the plush brown leather couch in my new office. Rami Suno, a native Hawaiian who had been court ordered to see a Psychologist stared back at me with deep brown, almost black eyes. "Would you like to start out by telling me a little about yourself?"

He signed, rolling his eyes, "Nah, not really Doc." I studied his appearance, dressed in a nice pair of jeans, a crisp white button down shirt and expensive shoes. I didn't know if he had dressed this way for this visit or this was his usual style. Smirking, I assumed it was the first although he was epitome of tall, dark and handsome. "How about you tell me how old you are, can we start there?" I asked, trying to pry anything out of him. I hated to waste my time and the tax payers money if he wasn't going to at least give me something to work with. "Thirty seven." he states plainly.

"Okay, thirty seven." I scribbled a few notes in my new patient journal. "And what was your your latest criminal case about?" He jerks his head up, slightly agitated, "What makes you think it's the latest and not the first?" Rami asks, almost bitterly a small wrinkle forming between his eyebrows.

I wrote the word, Typical Criminal in my journal and quickly scratched through it, thinking that as a professional I shouldn't judge him too swiftly. "Rami, in all my years in this profession I have never seen a judge order anyone to mandated psychological visits for their first criminal offence. So, if you don't mind and in the interest of time, please tell me what your current court case is about."

He leaned back, sinking further into the couch, crossing his arms. I noticed he was biting his bottom lip as he spoke, just above a whisper, "Drugs." I narrowed my eyes at him, my own brow furrowing, "Drugs. That's all you have to say?" I quizzed him. "Care to elaborate?" There was something he'd learn eventually, I was not and would never be one of those, how do you feel type of Doctor's. That just wasn't my style. I had not the time nor the patience for that bullshit.

"I don't know what you want from me ma'am." he says, with a shrug of his broad shoulders. Almost politely, "It was just drugs, not a big deal." Not a big a deal, I thought to myself. Since when were drugs not a big deal? I made a few more notes in his patient journal.

I looked up to find him staring deeply into my eyes. Looking away quickly, I cleared my throat, "Can you tell me how old you were when you started doing drugs?" Another sigh, "I've never done drugs, I sold drugs. Ever heard of the Hawaiian Overlord?"

I almost giggled, "The Hawaiian what now?" making another note. Rami chuckles himself, " I didn't give it to myself. Some news reporter did I guess. I got famous for being the biggest drug dealer on the Islands. Google me."

Mumbling "Hmm..." and making more notes, can't say that I was expecting him to say that. "So," I say pausing to think of my next question carefully. "Can you tell me how you became an Overlord?" I felt almost silly asking such a stupid question.

Suddenly he began to spill his guts. "I know you think it sounds stupid and I guess it is. But I ran this Island for the past fifteen years. I started when I was twenty two years old. I became a drug runner for a local dealer. After he got sent to prison I just kinda took over and business started booming. I've sold to homeless people and I've sold to celebrities visiting the Island. They all knew who to come to."

"Wow. That must have been a pretty lucrative business." I reply, steady making notes. "I've got more money than anyone on this Island ma'am." he tells me. "If you'll let me out of this bullshit, I'll pay you."