Status: Work in Progress

Love Song

You make me feel

With shaky fingers I dialed the after hours number to De Kine Bail Bonds. It was seven o'clock in the morning, an obviously sleepy voice answered, "Bail Bonds, this is Leland Chapman." Leland, I thought to myself, I think that was Rami's friend. "Hi, my name is Ava Monroe, I ugh... I need some help." I stuttered. Leland yawned sleepily into the phone, "What jail are you at Ava?" he asked very systematically. I could tell by his questioning that this was nothing new to the Bail Bondsman/Bounty Hunter Leland Chapman. Tears began to flow as I apologized, "I really don't know, I'm sorry. I can try to find out." He gave me a small laugh, "It's alright, I'll find you."

And find me he did. In less than an hour my bail had been posted and I was being driven home by Leland. As we pulled through the gates of my apartment building he looked over at me with a small smile. "Is this where you live? These are really expensive apartments." He stated, getting out of his seat and coming around to open my door. It occurred to me at that moment just how much of a gentleman he had been toward me the entire ride. Offering to buy me something to eat or to stop for anything I might need on the way home from jail. Nodding, I stepped out of his big pickup truck and grabbed my purse, "Yeah..." he closed the door behind me and placed a hand on the small of my back, leading me toward apartment 1224. "They aren't cheap, that's for sure." he gave me that same smile again, "But what is in Hawaii?"

"I know what you must think about me -" he cuts me off with a wave of the hand, "It doesn't matter what I think about you Ava, what matters is what you think about yourself. We all make mistakes but the important thing is to learn from them and pray for forgiveness." I paused at my door, before pulling my key out of my overly expensive purse. "I don't even think God remembers who I an anymore, I know I don't."

"Ava, you'd be surprised what God can do. Here is your paperwork, hang on to it for your court appearance." Leland says, placing a stack of documents in my hand. "Don't make me hunt you down." are his last words to me as I opened my door and he disappeared into the morning sun.

Two months had gone by and my court date had passed without so much as a notice from me. I had slipped farther and farther away into a life I had no business being in. "Rami." I whispered into his ear, as he hugged me tight on a random Tuesday night. With a wink he says, "I got what you asked for." Pulling back and waving a little baggy full of pills in front of my face. "Who loves you baby?"

A stupid school girl smile comes over me as I say, "I know you do." He places the pills into my hand and pulls me into another hug. "I heard Leland was looking for you." I swallowed hard and pulled away, "Where did you hear that?" I knew that I had missed my court date but didn't really give much thought to it at the time. I was so far gone that I almost didn't care what happened to me anymore. "Word gets out baby. A doctor turned drug addict out on bail, that's something you don't find everyday. You might want to lay low awhile if you don't want him to catch you."

"It's your fault." I whisper, staring into those deep brown eyes. "Maybe it is. Either way, you better not let Leland catch you. I don't want my name being brought into this." I sighed and walked into Rami's large home. You would think that being Hawaii's most infamous drug dealer would cause some uproar within the community he lived in but he seemed to go unnoticed. In an odd way people respected him. He gave back to the community, he'd built playgrounds and parks for children. He had sent at least five High School graduates to college. He ran a food bank in the poorer areas of town. These are the things I had learned about his life during his visits to my office. Had it not been for the illegal aspect of it all I could see how he'd earned their respect.