Private Dancer

So you are alive

Leland tells me he used to live here and moved away to Hawaii to work with his father who is a bounty hunter named Dog. "Wow...I've heard of him. You have a show right?" I ask him. "Yeah its on A&E ever seen it?" I tell him I haven't, but I've heard of it. "I spend too much time here to really watch any TV or do anything for that matter." I tell him laughing and I see the red light above the door flashing, telling me I have five minutes left. He notices me looking at the red light. "Does that mean you have to go?" he ask. "Yes, in a few minutes. Thanks for not making me dance. I have to admit, I'm really tired tonight." I say honestly. He reaches for his wallet again and I put my hand on his knee. "Don't. Just the fact that I got to sit down means more to me than money." I tell him.

I stand up and walk toward the door. "Wait" he says and I turn around. "Can I have your phone number? I know, I know you hear that all the time, but I really mean it. I feel like we have this connection or something." he says smiling. I go against all the rules of working as a stripper and give him my number then walk out the door.

Two months had passed since I met Leland. And yet I hadn't heard from him. Every night when I went to work I thought about his eyes and that smile. I wished that every lousy man that came into to this place was like him. Sometimes I would even pretend that he was the only one there watching me, it helped me through the night. I couldn't explain why he consumed my thoughts, it might be because he was the only male that I had to any sort of conversation with with since my Ex.

I headed home around 3:00 that morning to my new house that I was able to purchase thanks to Leland's birthday party. It was the biggest night I had every had since starting there. I had brought home over ten thousand dollars that night. It must be nice to be on TV if you made that kinda money, I thought as I got ready for bed.

I was able to sleep in and relax the next day since it was my day off. I was laying out by my pool when my phone rang. I didn't recognize the number but answered anyway. "May I speak to Abby?" the caller asked. "This is she." I said politely. "Oh hey, this is Leland from ....the birthday party." he said laughing. "Oh, so you are alive?" I said teasing him. "Yeah, I'm sorry about that we got a call the next day and had to go back to Hawaii." he tells me. We talked for about an hour that day and have talked almost everyday since then.
A Month Later:

"I'm so excited." I said over the phone to my friend Misty. "Leland is coming into town today. We've been talking over the phone for about a month, I cant wait to see him." I say. She just laughs at me and asks if I think this is safe and didn't I know that I wasn't supposed to socialize with "clients" out side of work. At this point I really didn't care what anyone thought. It was the first time I had been excited about anything in a long time.

Later in the day I get a call from Leland and he tells me that they are helping a a friend find one of his guys and he would see me later tonight if it wasn't too late. I dance around my house; I'm truly excited to see him. About 9:00 that night my phone rings, its Leland. "Hey Abby. Is it too late for me to come by?" he asks. Ten minutes later he's at my house.

I open the door and he just smiles at me. "Hi" I say quietly. Although I’ve been talking to him for a month I feel nervous seeing him. "Come in and sit down." I say, opening the door wider for him to walk in. We sit down and its a little awkward at first but soon the conversation begins to flow. "So...did you get your guy tonight?" I ask. "Oh yeah, we got him. We usually do." he tells me.

"Well, there’s nothing like bragging to impress a girl." I tell him as I laugh at some of his stories. My phone rings and I see that its my mother and I excuse myself and walk into my room to talk to her. It was no secret that she loved the drama. Hell, she usually created most of it herself. I knew that every time my phone rang this late something was going on.