Thanksgiving Debut

Thanksgiving Debut

Thanksgiving Debut

It was an annual tradition that the parents took part in the children's third grade Thanksgiving play at the Community center. Somehow my daughter had talked her father into dressing up like an Indian, and her Uncle Duane into dressing up like a Pilgrim. I laughed as I finished sewing the feather into the headdress for Leland's costume. I was thankful that all I had to do was make their outfits. This year the admission to the play would be donated to a local charity.

"Leland" I yelled from my sewing room. He walks in a few minutes later to see what I wanted. "Can you try this on." I ask handing the costume to him. "You better pray to God it fits, I don't have anymore material." I say swatting him on the butt as he takes his jeans off to try the costume on.

"I'm such a good father, I even braided my pigtails today." he says as he pulled his shirt off. "Oh don't act like you're going out of your way, you always wear your hair like that." I say laughing at him as he slides the bottom of the costume on. He takes the feathered headdress from me and slides it onto his head and hold out his arms. "What do you think?" he says raising his eyebrows at me.

"I think I have a sexy husband, who makes an even sexier Indian." I tell him, running a hand across his toned stomach. "Mmm" he moans before pulling me out of the chair. "You're pretty sexy yourself" he says nibbling on my neck, making me giggle. I run my hands up his sides and across his back as he kisses me softly on the lips.

"Don't let me interrupt." I hear from the doorway. I open my eyes to see Duane Lee standing there watching us. "Perfect timing, as always." Leland whispers in my ear before turning around.

"Remember, thats how you got in that predicament in the first place." Duane says pointing to my very pregnant stomach. I look over at him and pout. Yes, I was surprised I was pregnant for a third time, but I was happy none the less.

"You look ridiculous, dude." Duane tells Leland before walking into the room and sitting in the chair I had just gotten out of. "I think he looks hot. Just wait...Ive got your little Pilgrim outfit right here." I say handing it to him. "I even got a hat for you." I say winking at Leland. "Yeah, yeah, yeah...Who do I need to thank for making this a family affair?" he says taking the Pilgrim costume from me. "You need to thank your niece" Leland says still trying to adjust his slightly tight pants.

Duane Lee walks into the bathroom to try his costume on. "Stop messing with the pants, they are supposed to be tight." I say swatting Leland's hands away as he tries pulling at the waist of them to loosen them up. "You better not tear them up, I'm going to make you wear them later tonight." I say raising my eyebrows at him. He leans in to kiss me once more as Duane comes out of the bathroom.

"Well" Duane says turning in a circle. His brother busts out laughing at the sight. Leland calms down for a moment, "Brah...." is all he can say before laughing again. "Okay, okay...enough you two. Everyone is going to be dressed up so you wont look completely ridiculous." I say patting Duane Lee on the back.

*****
We manage to make it to the Community center with out too many problems. I had to convince my fourteen year old, Brylee that she had to attend. If not to see her little sister Linley's play, but to watch her father and uncle make a fool out of themselves. Of course she agreed to that. We take our seat just as Linley walks to center stage. She was chosen to be the narrator for the play.

"Welcome to the Mrs. Smith's Third Grade Class Annual Harvest Play." She says very happily. I smile as I watch my daughter continue her speech. "Here we find the Pilgrims landing at Plymouth Rock." she says as Duane Lee walks onto the stage with a group of other Pilgrim volunteers. I snicker watching him adjust his hat. Brylee covers her mouth to keep from laughing as he gets a few giggles from the women in the audience.

I wondered what my husband might be up to as his brother pretended to hunt for food in the forest. The sweet voice of my daughter narrating the play interrupted my thoughts. "Native people called Wampanoag, or eastern peoples, already lived in the Massachusetts Bay area. They shared their knowledge of crops and navigation with the English, helping them to survive."

Out walks Leland, dressed as an Indian, holding a basket. "Oh my God, Mom. I cannot believe dad is dressed that way, this is so embarrassing" Brylee whispers covering her eyes and looking away. "What are you talking about. You're dad looks great." I say leaning up in my seat to get a better view of him. I watched the muscle play underneath the tan skin of his stomach as he helped his brother the Pilgrim hunt and gather food to celebrate the first Thanksgiving. I was a lucky woman, I thought to myself as I caught his eye.

*****

The play turned out to be a huge success, raising about $5,000 for charity. My little Indian and Pilgrim were an even bigger success, posing for several pictures after the play. My two daughters were embarrassed and I was amused. "You know you owe me a pumpkin pie." Duane Lee says we we're leaving the community center. "In fact, next week for Thanksgiving I want Turkey and cranberries, a sweet potato pie..." He says rambling off his list of food.

"Brah, at least you weren't dressed like this." Leland says gesturing to his costume. "Next time you can be the Indian." My daughter and her friends catch up to us, carrying the crafts they had made in class that day. "Watcha got baby?" Leland says picking her up. "We made it in class, its called a Horn of Plenty. My teacher said we could put it on our table for Thanksgiving to celebrate prosperity." Linley says explaining.

"You did such a good job tonight." Leland tells her as we get to the car. "Thanks Daddy. You and Uncle Duane did a good job too. All of my friends mom's were talking about it." she says smiling and buckling her seat belt. Brylee rolls her eyes, and gets in the car.

*****

Thanksgiving day I wake up feeling great, it was a beautiful Autumn day. I walked outside onto the patio breathing in the fresh warm air. I missed the cool breeze of Colorado that we always had growing up. A pair of strong arms wrapped around my waist. "Good Morning" he whispers in my ear. "Hi baby." I say in return. "What are you doing up so early, did the baby wake you up?" he asks, rubbing my stomach.

"Yeah, she’s a kicker. Brylee and Linley were pretty calm, but this one...I think she's doing flips." I say smiling. "She's definitely a Chapman then." he says, still standing behind me. "They all are." I tell him as I turn around and put my arms around his neck. He gives me a soft kiss, one hand still on my stomach. "I cant believe this baby will make five children for me...three for you." he says with a smile. "I know...and three is where I draw the line. Besides that, you're running out of skin to tattoo their names on." I say smiling as I run my fingers across our girls names that were tattooed above his heart. He smiles and give me another kiss, as Duane Lee walks out onto the patio. Leland rolls his eyes and turns around.

"I'm here and ready to eat. Wheres my pumpkin pie?" he says laughing. "Its in the house, waiting for you to make it." I tell him walking past him and into the kitchen. The boys follow closely behind.

A few hours later Ive got all the food cooking, and a house full of Chapman's. "Do you need any help baby?" I hear Leland ask as I start making my brother-in-laws pumpkin pie. "Yeah, kill your brother for asking for this stupid pie." I say wiping the sweat from my forehead. "Just for that he has to wear the Pilgrim costume while we eat."

"Why don't you sit down and rest for a minute. You look a little flushed." he says holding his hand to my cheek. "I'm fine. I just...Oh...I think I'm going into labor, my water just broke." I say grabbing my stomach. Leland starts to run around in a panic, calling for everyone to come into the kitchen. "Calm down Leland, you've been through this five times And I'm fine, stop fussing." I say calmly with a laugh.

Thirty minutes later we're at the hospital with a waiting room full of Chapman's and three hours later Skylar Chapman made her Thanksgiving debut.