Status: Enjoy and please I always appreciate feedback!

When All Else Fails

The New World

Maria had spent most of her life wanting to travel, after she had finished school it’s all she ever had desired, but then the pandemic had begun, and the looming doom of world domination by AI began to get stronger and stronger, she had been foolish for not thinking it was here to stay this everlasting decay. Now, she was stuck and somehow, she had managed to help a small group of survivors develop into the Scrap Rogues of the North.

It had all happened so suddenly, first, she had rescued one Zeke from a horde of angry protesters, that were seeking to submit him to the regulators, then she had run into Tanny who had hold herself up protecting some children, which they now trained and protected within their quarters. She knew they were not using their original names, like here they had been ironically traveling she had also met Noe and Adda who were natives of Finland and lovers, fighting to protect each other.
There were others of course but these were her main council her advisors and generals, the ones she would count on.

“Do you want me to make a run for it there are some rations I think the next drop is in about two hours” she heard Noe speaking again into the radio. “No,” Maria said, “I find it strange that these rations have been passing through the same spot these last couple of days, I know food is short, but I suggest you find another way,” she said stoically into the speaker. “I think we can make it if we are careful” Noe insisted. “I am giving you a direct order Noe, if you get caught, I will not send men to get you out, it’s is your call,” Maria said. She was sick of him being so stubborn at times, this could be a trap, a way to lure them out.

“Fine you want to leave me to dry it’s your call “boss”, but we are short on food and winter is approaching,” he said shortly into the speaker. “Do as you wish, but do not ask for more reinforcements” Maria said coldly into the speaker. If he died along with his team it was his fault, she was not going to worry about it. Yes, it was cold and mean, but she was a survivor not a savior and she could not save everyone.

As she predicted the trap had been set, Noe and his team had been spotted and to his dismay, many had been taken and killed on the spot, though they had managed to garner some rations, and rescued some POW’s to her it was pointless, he should have listened.“I know what you are going to say boss” Noe stated. “I do not want to hear it, I told you as much, how much was the damage did we get anything back,” Maria said.

Noe hated her cold demeanor at times, she talked about lives as if they were supplies, but he knew she did that to hide her feelings, for he could tell she was shaking with anger but would not show it. “I lost 7 but I rescued 2 men, they look as if they can hold their own beat up the regulators barehanded,” he said.

Maria seemed interested at this she needed more physically capable warriors and though she secretly mourned the loss of the 7 she had to take what she could “Are they de-tagged,” she asked as a matter of fact. “Yes, they are safe, no tracers, they are clean, I think they had been caught recently,” he said. “Good bring them in for inspection, make sure they are viable and resourceful, I want to see where we can place them, but of course we have to check if they are not spying, lest we end them here,” she said.

“Yes mam,” Noe said stepping out while Maria sat on her improvised desk a giant black car hood held up by gears. Maria looked coldly at the rescued POW’s checking to see if they were viable. She could not help but notice the striking green eyes on one of them and the shocking blue in the other’s eyes. She shook her head no time for that, ever, yet here he was….

“Names,” Maria said, noting it down on an old board without facing them “I am Ville, this is….” Ville said, “he can speak for himself yes?” Maria said shortly, she could not believe it was him, she had to keep her cool, no time for idle dreams, of a dead past, of a muse that had been her inspiration. Noe couldn’t help but notice how flustered she had gotten or how red, even behind the mask, it was a shocker to see her even have a slightly human reaction, and it warmed his heart, even if he was trying to hide a snigger, did she know these men “Are you ok boss?” he said genuinely concerned and curious “I am fine why the foolish question we will get this done quickly” she said getting back to writing.
A small silence filled the room “I am Alexi” the other one said, “We are grateful for…” Alexi said she cut him off again “Do not be you will earn your keep yes…you will be of use to our resistance or else we transfer you, I do not have time for non-viable citizens, there are stations for that, you can be transferred there and be behind the scenes, here we are on the front lines” Maria pointed out.

Ville could not help but gaze at her, she was really delicate, pretty, small, and petite, yet the anger and cold stare in her eyes, spoke of unknown pain, yet he was not here to check the leader out, apparently, him and Alexi, were either useful or going to be sent elsewhere. They were nothing but a supply to her, and he did not register why it bothered him so much, he had literally just met her.

Maria tried to ignore his piercing gaze, those emerald eyes were haunting, and his skin was pale and moonlight and that voice was like velvet, she had idolized this man for so long and she was meeting him in the worst possible scenario, her muse, a lost relic of better days. Yet she needed to keep her head straight, that was gone, the old world was gone, the music was gone, there was no time for silly dreams.

“We will help,” Ville said his curiosity for this girl making him want to stay here, she had clearly reacted to knowing whom he was and she was trying to hide the blush that had so effortlessly fallen all over her face, even behind the mask he could tell she had shivered. The world was dead, there was nothing, yet seeing something as pure as that, hidden behind a mask of hate awoke him a primal sense of wonder.

“What are your capabilities?” Maria asked avoiding his gaze “I am willing to do anything I can shoot, spy and run, gather intel,” Ville said. “I am good at that too Mam” Alexi added. “I also heard you fistfight quite well, good I need combat trainers, sometimes guns are not enough for those regulators, will you comply by the rules and teach, and swear to not betray lest we end you all, Tanny read you the rules and regulations I assume” Maria pointed out coldly “I swear,” Ville said, “I swear” Alexi added.

“Good get them out and get them working I have to go scavenge with the team to rescue anything from last week’s raid tonight got to get ready,” she said to Noe who guided them out, Ville glanced back at her, his eyes burning a hole into the back of her head, she tried not to shiver, even in this cold chaos, he was intoxicating.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks if you are here please I appreciate feedback <3