Status: Enjoy and please I always appreciate feedback!

When All Else Fails

A Plan and My Apology

"So are we just gonna barge in there guns blazing or," Noe asked. "You speak rubbish Noe if we anger the queen of the east we are asking to make her our eternal enemy," Tanny said. "Perhaps a more stealth-like approach is required Adda stated, "I agree, but what do you think boss?" Zeke asked. "I believe that though we may want to go in there and take the fortress by force while rescuing "The demonesses' kin we would benefit from a stealthier approach" Maria piped in.

"They are prepared for that, they gotta, be," Noe said, as they all sat in the conference. "I agree but even if that is the case, we have to try," Adda said trying to make her lover see reason. "Whatever we decide we have to make a decision soon" Tanny responded, "Although it was a request we would do wisely not to ignore the demands of the blood queen" she added. "We will do both, we will approach on friendly terms, scan our perimeters, and once we are ready we will take them down unless they hand over the prisoners, lowering their guard is our best option," Adda said, to which everyone nodded.

"The meeting is adjourned we have preparations to make but Zeke you must stay behind I have yet to address that topic with you," Maria said, as the others left.

"You know it is my way to discipline, I cannot have unruly troops under me, one undisciplined member can mean our end," Zeke said sitting across from Maria. "I understand that, and if he continues that behavior we can order a transfer" Maria replied sighing, "However, you have to tone it down Zeke, this is not the first time you have been reported to me" Maria added.

"Very well I take the blame I will be more reticent in my dealings with the soldiers," he said. Silence filled the room as Maria nodded in approval before Zeke stood and asked, "forgive me for asking boss but...this has been the only time you have ever been so considerate of a soldier...are you growing attached to the new recruit I have to say, even Noe pointed it out you have been acting awkwardly around that man" he added.

"That is absolutely ridiculous, I have no attachments, they are pointless, we cannot afford to have them, we can only survive," Maria said, not able to hide a small blush "And yet you blush at the mention of him" Zeke started grinning. "Oh do be quiet, I am pondering and frustrated with current events is all," Maria said, loathing that she had shown feelings in front of her advisor.

" I do hope so," Zeke said, "No life is certain, nothing is certain, not until we take down the machines and destroy the Opal City, but for your peace of mind, I will try to be softer on the recruits, especially on that one," he said smiling, "Ridiculous, I am not asking you to baby them, Zeke I am asking you to create bonds with them, of trust and communication, we need continued coordination, that is how we have survived so far" Maria pointed out.

"No worries boss, I will.... may I go now?" Zeke replied as Maria nodded and he stepped away. Feelings, what foolishness was going through Zeke's head, as he said nothing was certain only life or death, so nothing was worth fighting for only your blood and bones. Your mind had to be unpreoccupied and stable, your heart shut to all feelings, to be able to execute missions with precise accuracy, Maria stated.

Hours later as Maria went over the plan as she sat near the exit she did not feel Ville walking up behind her. "I had a talk with Zeke....but may we talk?" Ville asked.

Maria almost jumped out of her skin, his voice was so...riveting...she hated to say it but it was that enchanting. "What about soldier" Maria retorted, "First of all my name is Ville, not soldier" Ville replied, "Very well Ville what is your query" Maria replied, trying to stay calm. "I know I have been the cause of much trifles for you, and that I have been unruly, but I want to try and serve this unit...I know how the world works, and I know I owe you my life...I want to, therefore, apologize, and thank you" Ville said.

Maria could not look at him, all she could do was stare at the wall, why did he have to be so humble, she did not look at him as she replied, "I accept your apology, as for wanting to be better I suppose you could try to prove yourself, by coming along with Zeke's men to rescue the Angel brothers Oli and Jyrki, that is all" Maria said, hoping he would take that and not ask more of her.

Silence filled the space between them before he replied, "If that is what it takes to open your heart...I will be at your disposal, after all, you saved me from the cruel fate of the Opal City" he said. "It was nothing it is our duty, to save what can be saved, and use it to the best of our capabilities" Maria responded. "I don't really believe there is no warmth in those big dark eyes of yours, goodnight sweetheart" Ville replied then walked away into the darkness of the bunkers they had set up, how she hated how he made her feel, it was wonderful, and yet she could not take the feeling that way it was too dangerous.

She wanted to scream...
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks again to WildChildMary