Status: New!

Sweet Cries of a Canary

Shut your mouth, baby, stand and deliver

Waking up early for me was how things usually went. I couldn’t start the day any later than seven in the morning. Once the alarm hit 7, I was up right away. I brushed my teeth and once I was done I got inside the bathtub for a quick shower.

Once I was done, I blow dried my hair a bit and tied up in a messy bun. I changed to a jersey and went outside to continue my usual daily routine. I breathed in the fresh Friday morning air trying to not think about what day it was today and yesterday’s events. Though I shouldn’t have been smiling with what I had heard, I still tried to keep that beautiful smile on my face.

I started running; running so fast that nothing and no one could ever catch up to me. I pushed myself to the limit, letting my lungs be filled with what they called fresh air. The sun had given me a tan so beautiful; a bronze color which I adored. It made me look like another woman and I took comfort thinking I was so lucky to be myself.

At the thought of that, the smile fell from my face. It was because I was who I was that I had to go through what was planed for me. It was because of that; that I had no say to everything they had decided. If only I could show to the world who I really was… If only. Then I might have had a chance to build my own life however I wanted.

I know what they were going to say again if I even tried to change their way of thinking, and let’s face it – they had everything planned really nicely.

My parents had taken a divorce since I was five and when I was old enough to ask them about it, they only said they did it for my sake. My mother couldn’t stomach living with my fathers’ family and there were many factors that took part in it. I knew everything about it and I was glad they allowed me to study what I wanted and let me enjoy my life till now. I had to repay them now.

An hour had passed and I had to return back home. As I started walking my way back home I realized I was more anxious than I had let myself believe on. The truth was I didn’t want to leave but my mother’s new husband wanted me gone since I wasn’t like him and he wanted to have children of his own. I didn’t hold that against him because my fate was sealed before he appeared in my mother’s life.

I knew I was going to move out of the house as soon as they awoke. Soon, I reached our house. I stood in front of our pathetically ordinary house for a few good minutes trying to paint the view nicely in my memory. Photographs and actually feeling what you feel when you actually stare at something are nowhere near the same feeling. I opened the front door and went up to my room, to take another shower and get changed so I’d be ready to travel as soon as possible.

Then I quickly dressed in black ripped jeans and a sugar white shirt with black high boots. I did my makeup and grabbed my bags which were prepared since last night as well as my coat. I walked down the stairs and made my way to the kitchen to drink a glass of fresh orange juice and a toast before talking with my mother and step-father.

My mother and Paul came into the kitchen area and my mom flung her arms around me saying, ‘’Good morning babe. How was your sleep? Did you rest well?’’
I smiled at her, ‘’yes mom, I’m okay and ready to leave when the car arrives.’’

‘’Um…’’ my mother started. ‘’I wanted to talk to you about it. Things changed a bit.’’

‘’What changed?’’ I was taken a back.

‘’You know you couldn’t marry the youngest because he is almost six years old only, but you won’t marry the second prince either. You’ll marry the older prince, the one who is next in line to rule.’’ I just gaped at her like a fish out of water and she added. ‘’So, you won’t be leaving for Romania but for Greece instead. The eldest lives there, though he travels all round the world because of his corporations.’’ She was crying happy tears and I just stared at her, gratitude and anger warring for supremacy.

Anger won out and I snarled at Paul, ‘’this was your idea, wasn't it?’’ He just shrugged and I hissed, ‘’I never had a say in the first place but why did it have to be a guy older than me? He is what? In his early thirties?’’ Gosh! Why is everything getting worse before even leaving? I shrugged and then asked, ‘’When do I leave?’’

‘’The jeep should be already waiting for you outside. You'll be alone during your trip there but someone will be waiting for you at the airport in Greece.’’

‘’I better leave then.’’ I snarled and wore my sunglasses before walking out the door with my bags in my hands. The anger had consumed me so much that I took a step from as soon as the door was open and I slammed into a large firm male body. ‘’Ack!’’ I yelped and jumped back looking at the man.

‘’Are you okay?’’ he asked me and I nodded my head. ‘’I was waiting for you milady; we are ready to leave. Your escort is waiting at the airport and is growing quite impatient, so we must leave now.’’ He explained in a dull voice and then he picked up my bags and walked out stiff as a board.

‘’I'm coming.’’ I snarled and turned back only to face my mother beside Paul staring at me.

‘’I guess this is goodbye.’’ My mother said, somehow shaken.

‘’I guess it is.’’ I said, turning my back without looking back again. I shut my heart down to everything, not caring anymore.

‘’Milady-‘’ the driver started saying holding the door open for me.

‘’Just shut up and drive. Get me the hell out of here right this instant.’’ I growled and slid into the darkened interior. I put in my headphones and listened to music for the next hour before we pulled into the large airport. I was ushered out onto the runway where there was a small private jet waiting for me and next to the stairs was a tall and really handsome FBI type agent with black shades.

I had my things being placed in the cargo area of the jet and I boarder the plane. I strapped myself in and settled back to enjoy the next 10 hours of non-stop flying to Italy and from there I had to board the next flight for Greece, Athens.

However when I finally arrived, it was the middle of the night and raining like never before. I sighed and twirled around the minute I stepped off the plane. I had always loved the rain and I raised my face to the sky to feel the rain on my face. I shook my head and looked at Mr. FBI who stood waiting patiently beside a white jeep.

I nodded my head in understanding and got in. It was lit on the inside and there was a small cooler on the side and I grinned peeping inside only to find bottles of water and bottles of food. I groaned and grabbed the water taking a swig and sighing. I was extremely tired, but sleeping would have to wait until after I introduced myself to my betrothed.

Almost an hour later, I was walking through the rain up several flights of stone steps to a large mansion high up on a cliff that overlooked the town below and the forest. As soon as I stepped close to the door, it creaked open of its own volition and I walked inside. Just then, a loud crack of thunder resounded and something large and heavy slammed into me sending me sprawling across the floor before I could take in the view or realize what was happening.

I looked up calmly into the face of a hound; black eyes and a murderous rage. I showed no fear as it growled and bared its teeth. After a moment it tilted its head in confusion and stepped back. I slowly stood up and smiled as the dog realized I was no threat and sat there waiting for something.

I took that chance to look around me and found the place magnificent in every way; tall ceilings with battle scenes and family portraits depicted in the paintings that decorated them. There were several doors and before I could see more, Mr. FBI came in and the dog hound went mad. It started barking loud and obnoxiously. I sighed and placed my hand on its head and it quieted down. It stood beside me when a soft voice came from behind me, on the stairs.

‘’Welcome home, Mark. I see you have brought my son’s wife to be, with you.’’ She smiled softly before she turned to me saying, ‘’Welcome, my dear Agatha. I am terribly sorry for not being able to greet you immediately but my youngest son isn’t feeling well,’’ the beautiful woman apologized sincerely.

She was slender like a model and tall; taller than me. She had dark brown eyes like me and her head was blessed with dark brown curls hanging around her waist. She had an air around her that made her seem sophisticated and graceful. The kind of women I looked up to.

For some reason I didn’t know; she and my father wanted her son and I to marry. It was a marriage of convenience of some sort so I thought I didn't have to be faithful to my husband if I didn't want to. I doubted he would be the faithful type anyway, being a prince and all.

I smiled politely at her and asked, ‘’is my husband-to-be here?’’

The woman blinked and sorrow entered her brown gaze. ‘’Yes, but he is rather busy at the moment. He is entertaining guests in place of his younger brother.’’

‘’Oh! I understand. It’s to be expected.’’ I said and then added, ‘’I hope your youngest son feels better soon.’’ I smiled at her kindly.

‘’Thank you, my dear,’’ she smiled a gracious smile a loving grandmother could easily give. It was strange how I felt so drawn to her when I didn’t even know her. It was the first time I was meeting her. ‘’You can stay in the living room and we can chat a bit more if you’d like till my son is free, though to be honest I’d want to go to my youngest’s side to care for him or you could go up to your room and rest. I can tell one of the maids to show you the way.’’

‘’Yes, of course. You can go to your son’s side. I’ll go rest if someone could take me to my room. The trip here was exhausting!’’ and it was true. I was really tired and to be honest I didn't care what my husband-to-be was doing. I didn't care about anything. I was tired and I just wanted to take a relaxing bath before going to sleep.

‘’Of course, dear!’’ she smiled to me and went down the corridor to the left and came back soon after with a maid. ‘’This is Michelle, she will you to your room and we can talk again tomorrow.’’

‘’Sure,’’ I replied and she turned leaving as the maid told me to follow her.

I followed the small woman up the ornate stairs into a modern hallway with more portraits and more doors. She opened the last door at the end of the long corridor and said, ‘’this is your room and Master Ryan’s room is across the hall and to the right’’ she said and I walked into the room.

‘’Thank you, you can leave.’’ I smiled at the petite maid and just before I closed my bedroom’s door, a pitbul slipped into the room. It sat down and jut watched me. ‘’Who are you?’’ I asked looking at the dog that was too cute for a pitbul. I knelt in front of it and I checked its collar for the name tag. Her name was Layla. I patted her head as I praised her, ‘’such a good girl, Layla,’’ and then asked, ‘’do you want to stay in here with me, tonight?’’ Layla started wagging her tail playfully and then she jumped onto my bed which was covered with red satin sheets.

The room was big and I plopped myself on the bed and looked around taking it all in. The walls were dark purple with black designs and a black carpet that was two inches thick. If you stepped on it barefooted, and moved your toes, you could lose them in it. There was a large, walk in closet with an opened door which was already filled with clothes and shoes, both for women and men but I didn’t really think much about it and upon seeing a room-in-bathroom, I decided it was time for a relaxing bath.

Even though I was too tired and I wanted to refuse moving, I got up and opened the black suitcase in order to pull out everything I need for a relaxing bath. Cinnamon scented candles which were my favorite, lingerie and a night mask. After my bath, I dried my body with a large bath towel and fell asleep as soon as my head hit the soft pillows. I only felt Layla climbing up and laying beside me before I drifted off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't know what I was thinking. The words just kept coming -for once- and I'll see where this will take me.

Credits for the lyrics in the summary go to Bishop Briggs for the song River.

Those of you who read it, do tell me if you'd like me to keep going. Only your comments may motivate me enough to get back to writing like I used to and I need that in my life right now. Thanks for reading!

xoxo