Status: New!

Sweet Cries of a Canary

Like a river, like a river

‘’Not at all,’’ I snapped and glared at him.

‘’Too bad I was about to give it to you too, but since it seems you don't want it, I'll eat it myself.’’ I turned back and sent daggers at him with my eyes. He really thought I would eat a piece of bacon from the dog’s mouth? ‘’Hey, you're the one who said you didn't want the bacon. It’s your own fault.’’ He walked towards me slowly gracefully and looked down at me. I resisted kicking him hard in the shin and I turned around, ignoring him as I stormed back into the kitchen.

I plopped myself down next to Tristan and dug into my pancakes. They were so delicious that my bad mood seemed to melt away. I had an extremely fast metabolism and just grinned at the gawking man that sat across from me with his mouth open and the fork half way to his mouth.

He set it down and then said, ‘’you eat really fast, Agatha. Slow down, no one’s going to take away your food from you.’’ He smiled before he added, ‘’I'm Alec by the way. I was supposed to be your husband before things changed.’’

‘’Oh!’’ So this was the man I supposed to marry. I had never seen anyone from the royal family before, not even photographs. It wasn’t like they were like real royalty because things worked differently in our world and though I knew everything about that world, I was going to start living in it starting today. ‘’Nice to meet you, Alec.’’

I smiled and then turned to Olivia who was sitting beside him and across from me. ‘’You made the best pancakes I have ever eaten in my life.’’

‘’Glad you like them. I usually don’t make breakfast or cook but at times, I like it.’’ She smiled, taking a sip from a cup that filled with that seemed hot coffee. It must have been cappuccino. ‘’Usually there are other matters than need my attention and especially the hotel business which are under my supervision so this is a special occasion for your first morning as a member of our family.’’

‘’Thank you so much!’’ I smiled, though I felt a bit awkward they were going to these lengths from day one.

‘’You’ve met Ryan, right?’’ Alec asked, waiting to get a reaction from me.

‘’Sadly, I did.’’

‘’Oh, that doesn’t sound like it went well…’’ He started and took a breath before he added, ‘’and to think they say I look like him.’’

‘’Hm… you are nothing like that arrogant and womanizer ass.’’ I snarled forgetting that arrogant asshole’s mother was sitting with us, and on top of that, as I got up I happened to see; said pompous ass standing right behind me. As I stood up the chair landed on his toe and he grunted in pain even as I walked out the room with Layla trailing behind me.

However, Ryan came chasing after me and grabbed my arm spinning me around. Layla snarled getting between us and I yelled at him. ‘’Let me go, and don’t you dare touch me again.’’ I wouldn’t let that handsome devil in front of me get physical with me, not in a million years.

‘’Why are you acting like that towards me when we haven't even really met yet?’’ he demanded with his dark brown eyes, trying to see my expression but it was difficult since I was avoiding eye contact. I didn’t want him to see the change in my eyes. It was disgusting! ‘’Look at me!’’ He commanded and I shook my head no.

‘’Let me go!’’ I yelled again at him trying to keep my composure but I was failing miserably.

‘’Fine! I'll make you look at me.’’ He tried to lift up my chin, and I slapped him with my other hand.

Ryan yelped, taken in by surprise and let my hand free so I took the opportunity to escape to my room. I slammed the door and leaned against it breathing hard, when a soft scratching came at the door. I opened it slightly to look out and saw Layla whimpering as she tried to get in. I allowed her access into my room and was about to shut the door again, when it was thrown open. Ryan came storming in extremely angry. He was furious but so was I.

I fell backwards as he yelled at me, ‘’what the fuck is your problem?’’

‘’Get out of my room!’’ I ordered as I got up from the floor, standing on my feet again.

He went for my chin again and in reflex I shut my eyes really tight. I couldn't let him look at my eyes in this state. Usually I can keep them under control but with him its like they have a mind fo their own and switched color going into dark mode. I hated them, hated the disgust and revulsion they brought out to other vampires and for some reason I didn't want my husband to find me revulsing, though I shouldn’t care.

Suddenly, a gentle hand against my face shocked me and I was suddenly crushed against a cool to the touch body. ‘’Do not fear me.’’ He growled against my ear. ‘’Do not ever fear me,’’ he repeated.

‘’I’m not afraid of you. I just don’t want to look at you.’’ I responded hoping he would leave me alone.

‘’You should show me some respect. I’m the prince of all the clans and first in line to inherit after my father; the king and I’m also your husband-to-be. You don’t expect me to marry a woman, who won’t look me in the eye, do you?’’ His hands went around my waist, keeping close to his body.

Instantly, I kicked him hard between his legs and pushed him out of the room. I locked the door quickly and Layla stood in front of the door read to protect me. I hadn’t used my powers since a long time ago and I never thought I’d had to do it on the first day but I had to do something to keep him away.

I raised my hand and kept in in a straight line while I closed my eyes to in-vision in my mind what I needed and kept my focus on my powers. Before I had the chance to chant the words, the door was flung open along with Layla and I, and a cold air filled the room. It was literally freezing and my back was against the bed’s end. My back hurt and I kept my eyes on the floor as I tried to get up and stumbled from the fall. My eyes traveled around the floor looking for Layla. She wasn’t that much hurt since there wasn’t any blood but she was unconscious.

‘’You won’t do this ever again, you hear me?’’ He growled, stepping inside the room. Every step he took closer to me, I fought the desire to let my power flow out from my body and sent him flying like he had just done. He was furious and you could see it in the way he walked, I his voice and the noise he made with every step. I closed my eyes again, trying to contain myself and it took everything in me to keep me from doing something I’d regret; like killing my asshole of a husband-to-be.

‘’Who do you think you are? Just because they addressed you as my wife-to-be, don’t think you’re all that much.’’ He kicked one of my feet slightly so he could make space between my feet and he lowered his knees, bending down and holding me up by my chin. ‘’Open your eyes!’’ He demanded again and he grabbed my right hand with his left one.

‘’No!’’ I said, answering in a calm voice.

‘’Open your fucking eyes! Now!’’ He shouted, his hold on my hand getting stronger.

A sigh escaped my lips before I responded, ‘’no’’ without showing any signs of pain either even though my hand hurt a bit from his hold.

‘’Open your eyer or you’ll regret this.’’ He threatened me.

‘’No.’’ I insisted keeping the tone of my voice calm, like I was having a normal conversation. ‘’If you want respect, I demand the same.’’ I added.

‘’That means you have to open your eyes and look me in the eye so we can actually have a conversation, and from what I’m seeing the last thing you want is a conversation.’’ He scoffed. ‘’I won’t tolerate that kind of attitude. Did I make myself clear?’’ I ignored him for a few minutes but he didn’t speak either. The silent was gravely bearable.

‘’Can you you get your hands off me now?’’ I asked, tired from this whole thing and even though my adrenaline was high enough and my eyes hadn’t calmed down, the sound of voice had never been any calmer.

‘’No, so can you look at me now?’’ He asked but he didn’t even let me reply as he spoke again in a calmer voice, following my lead. ‘’Open your eyes for me, love...’’ His voice was so gentle, so soothing that I almost wanted to do it, but I knew better. He relaxed his strong hold on me and it was now or never.

I leapt out of his hold by giving him a punch and said, ‘’I’m not your love’’ as I fled the room, slamming the door shut and ran down the stairs. The gods weren’t in my favor and as I hurriedly ran to get as far away from him as possible, I tripped over the site of the black carpet and landed in a heap on the floor.

Ryan came fuming down the steps. I averted my gaze and tried to get up but it seemed I had twisted slightly my ankle with my high boots and I couldn’t get up. ‘’Get up!’’ He ordered standing in front of me as I had my eyes lowered to the floor again. ‘’I said, get up!’’

‘’I can’t.’’ I responded in a low voice.

‘’Get up!’’ He yelled.

‘’I said I can’t. Are you deef? I hurt my ankle.’’ I yelled trying to keep my emotions at bay. My foot was hurting. My husband-to-be was more of an asshole than I had thought and everyone that could have helped me get out of that mess had seemed to disappear.

He sighed and then he bent beside me, ready to take me in his arms. I kept my mouth shut and my eyes too. ‘’Put your arms around my neck so you won’t fall and I’ll take you to your room.’’ I did as he said and he started walking back to my bedroom when he suddenly stopped.

‘’I think that now you have to show me your eyes. Otherwise we can stay here all day long with you in my arms, your hands around my neck. Though your foot is hurting but I don’t care if you don’t care about it. Now maybe you changed your mind and you want to look at me?’’

Enough was enough! I looked at him for a second before turning my head away, tears were welling up in my eyes and not because of my foot which was hurt but because things had gone his way and he saw what I never wanted to show. I closed my eyes again tightly. ‘’I told you, no. Now you know why...’’ I trailed off and he started walking. He placed me on the bed in silence and helped me take off my boots.

I was taken aback when he gently turned my chin his way and whispered softly, ‘’Open your eyes, Agatha.’’ I opened my eyes and looked up into whimpering in fear, but there was nothing in his gaze as he stared at my eyes. I began to squirm and wondered what he was thinking as his eyes gave nothing away.

‘’Ryan, can you please leave?’’ I asked softly and he shook his head no.

‘’I think I should bring you ice for your foot and then we cans it down and talk.’’ He said and with that he got up from the bed and left.

I looked around in the room for Layla and I saw her still unconscious. ‘’Poor Layla,’’ I muttered as I raised my hand, and with my nail I made a small cut on my finger letting the blood start to flow and before it could fall on my clothes, I crystallized it with a movement of my hand and pulled it which made a type of crimson thread keep flowing out of my finger. I made the thread reach Layla and it enveloped her body. Her body absorbed the crystallized blood making her regain consciousness.

‘’Woof! Woof!’’ She came and jumped onto the bed and came to my left side because I was near the bed’s end from the right side and there was no place for her to sit. She licked my hands and then my cheek as I petted her. ‘’I’m so sorry, Layla. It’s all my fault.’’

Ryan’s steps were heavy as he passed through the entrance of my bedroom with a towel in his hands, filled with ice. He took off my socks and put a small small pillow under my hurt foot. Then, he placed the towel on top of the swelling area and kept it there.

‘’What are you hiding your eyes for?’’ He asked before he continued, ‘’they are extraordinary, yes, but they are so mesmerizing.’’

‘’How can you even say that?’’ I demanded and looked at him. ‘’My eyes are hideous! Every one says I'm a freak! How come you aren't saying anything like that?’’

‘’You are just a special half-vampire woman with different eyes than the rest. No one I’ve ever met had eyes like yours. You are unique, Agatha.’’ He said softly trying to calm me, but I couldn’t calm down. I glared at him. I didn’t want his pity or his lies.

‘’Don’t lie to me just because I’ll be your wife. I don’t need your pity.’’ I said as I kept glaring at him.

‘’I forbid you to hide your magnificent eyes. Your eyes were kissed by Nyx; the goddess herself and you should take pride in that.’’ He said staring deep into the black abyss in front of him that was my eyes. An endless blackness… that was all you could see staring into my eyes. ‘’It’s because of those eyes that you were chosen to be my wife.’’ He said, and then he did something I wasn’t prepared for, something I least expected. He kissed me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! I managed to write three days in a row and the chapters are long too which is something I wasn't used to. I'm gonna ride this tide of writing with the muse of the pen for as long as I can.

Shout out to Amanda for encouraging me with her comments. Thank you very much, dear. I hope you enjoy this novelty trip to a world different from ours.